OKUMA CASTERS

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Aug 31, 2009.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WELL.....IM EXPECTING MY NEW AND 1ST LEVELWIND CASTER (I GOT A PENN 109 I DONT LIKE TO USE) SO I HAVE TO ASK THE QUESTION.........

WHO OUT THERE USES OKUMA BRAND CASTING REELS?????:confused2:

FOR 35$ THEY DONT SEEMS LIKE A BAD REEL (FOR THE BRAND) AND I BELIEVE THAT THE CLASSIC LEVELWIND THAT I GOT IS A SALTWATER REEL(BIGGER FISH).... I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A SUPER HIGH DOLLAR MODEL BUT EVEN $500-$600 REELS HAVE UPS AND DOWNS :wink:

LeRoy

2. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i got 2 of them they work good but do not cast as nice as abu garcia or i have not mastered them yet bobs bait

3. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont own any but a buddy of mine does and I have thrown it out a couple of times. Its a very nice set up and for the money I will def be buying some when it comes time to get some new equipment.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had a couple, they are decent reels, but wont work for my style of fishing.

I need to make long cast, and the okuma fell far short of my ABU'S.

But it will do the job if you dont need to cast very far.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am in the same situation as Jack. I have 2 Okuma's the 202L and a 302L which I wouldn't hesitate to use, but the casting distance with my Abu's is always better. I think the Okuma casters are tough to beat for the money. I would buy the Okuma before I would buy the low end Abu which I believe it the bcx model. Good luck.

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    When I use a Baitcaster reel, I am using a Penn, Shimano or Okuma! Each of these reels are work specifiy and the Okumas are for casting where the others are for trolling, The Larger Okumas are well suited for multifunction and I have made casts of over 70yds, without a problem with them as well. My Baitcaster reels are Saltwater specific and this is more advantageous for my type of fishing! JMHO!!!

HOPPY4

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They are ok for a cheep reel, but you would be much happier with ABU c3I or 7000 pro rocket JMO ! :eek:oooh:

8. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have 3 okumas and 1 more on the way,as far as i am concerned my abu is going to the trash when xmas gets here as i will be going to all okuma,they cast very smooth very long and they retrieve fast.for the price you cant go wrong with them

9. fishjunkie

fishjunkie New Member

State:
    montana
    i have one and with a good brand of line i have had no problems with the casting it does have a touchy speed control

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

ONE OF MY TEACHERS AT MY HIGHSCHOOL FOUND (YES FOUND) AN ABU 10000 SITTING IN THE MARINA TRASH DUMPSTER WHERE HIM AND HIS BUDDIES HAVE THEIR TUNA BOAT...... HE TOOK IT OFF THE BROKEN ROD AND LOOKED AT IT WHILE THEY WERE LEAVING THE MARINA TO FISH.....DIDNT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT:confused2:

HE DONT LIKE ABUS EITHER....HE SOLD IT ON EBAY AND BOUGHT 2 OKUMAS:smile2: HE HAD IT IN HIS ROOM AND THATS HOW OUT FOUND THE STORY OF HIS TRIP

11. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    smart decision by him

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    With Okuma reels, it's just like other reels. Some poeple like them, some don't. Depending on your fishing style and what you are targeting is what will guide you to a selection of reels. The Classic CLX_300L is what I use for channels and the occasional Flathead (37# to date). The classic pro is a step up. Both models can hold plenty of line depending on your fishing style.

The Classic 300l has the loudest clicker of any reel I have used.

Based on what I have been told by others, If you want a great flathead reel, go with the Red Isis. I have never tried one, so this is just word of mouth.