Okuma Baitfeeders...???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FAT_CAT, Apr 11, 2006.

1. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Has anyone ever used the Okuma Spinning reels with baitfeeders such as the Avenger or Corronado? I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to Shakespeare Baitrunner. They look pretty impressive but I'm looking for a review. I just traded my dad my Tidewater 30L and a Berkley Big Game rod because I didn't want to deal with all the backlashing, now, he's gonna buy me a set-up and I started looking into the bigger Avengers. Thanks in advance....

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have several Okuma baitfeeders, I have the exipor, the corranado, and the Avenger, They are very good reels, and I would reccomend them to anyone wanting a baitfeeder spinning reel fo catfish.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cant beat the avengers for the price! i bought two a couple weeks ago, way better than those tidewaters.

4. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's definitely good news. We have a baitrunner now and I like it alot better than that tidewater 30l, that's why I made the trade. For some reason, I just like the idea of a spinning reel compared to baitcasters. I should be getting dad to pick one of these up for me by this weekend. Now, say I went with the Avenger ABF-65, would 20# big cat line go good with this reel?

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mine are the 40's and hold a ton of 14lb test line, kinda wished i would have gotten smaller ones now. i'd say those 65"s would be fine with 20lb test.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 20-lb berkly biggame on mine it works great.

7. thomas

thomas New Member

State:
    CA
    The levelwinds are slower and don't backlash as bad. Also, picking out a birdnest with 20 lb line is easy, you can even do it in the dark.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'VE GOT A NINGBO BX3000 WITH 20# SUFFIX ORANGE LINE ON A BERKLY GLOW STIK . I really like the combo so far . ibought the reel off ebay for 30.00 including shipping. good luck

9. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have an avenger abf 50 and she's as smooth as silk..i love it..i have 50# power pro on there and you can cast a long , long ways with it...:cool:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I have 2 Okuma Epixor EB 50 baitfeeder spinning reels, and I highly recommend them. I run 40 lb. power pro on both of them. :)

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have 3 Okuma Coronado CD90 reels with x-tra spools.I have 20lb.to 60 lb.mono.line on them.The 60 lb.is for fishing in and around Oyster Shell and Barnacles.They seem to work fine on all lines.These are big,strong,heavy built reels.They are made of corrosion resistant materials and are sealed to keep out contaminants.I also have a Shakespeare Tidewater TWS70FL.This reel does not seem to be built quite as heavy as the Coronados.It is not sealed like the CD90,s.It seams to do it,s job in every way,just as the CD90,s do.Each are bait feeder type reels.The Tidewater is a $44.00 reel.The Coronado a $85.00 reel.Each seems to be well worth the money.Our sponsor Catfish Connection has a wide variety of rods and reels.Check them out as they may be able to fulfill your needs.Best of luck.Let us know what you get and how you like it.peewee-williams

12. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have the EB-80 Epixor and LOVE them. I can not make a comment on any of their other models of Baitfeeder reels. I have found them to be relaible although Heavy. They are for casting and setting, not for lure fishing. They have a fantastic standard drag and the baitfeeder drag is comparable to the Shimano in smoothness. They are worth the money that you spend as a Minimum and you get dividens!! JMHO!!!!

HOPPY4

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    James , I agree. They are great reels. I have 2 EB50's and 2 Shimano BR 6500's and they are very comparable. :)

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Got An Okuma Coronado On A Quantum Big Cat Rod And I Like That Combo. Very Much.