Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spec.. rated for 20lb line so i put 30lb pew pew i meen power pro on yuck but it was.... on
sale . i reallly LOVE bait clickers - the tangles / birds nests but my saltwater penn's are to big fer florida cats. but can't afford the awesome live liners 170 ish or even 350 is for others . i'll update, after then next trip to the water and report the likes / dislikes or any problems . i had them spool about 225 -250 yards of 15lb mono for backing and added 40 lb braid 150 yards just in case i de get blessed with a big ol cat or more then likely BIG GAR. i think it might actually turn out to be a decent salt water red buster to if washed out properly and greased after EVERY trip .

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Used mine for the first time last night..Landed a 30 lb blue cat on it and worked awesome...I got 30 lb. Berkley big cat on it..It threw a country mile...Baitfeeder worked great..Loved it..I will be buying a couple more..

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okuma abs 65 update, hit the water yesterday new reel worked great and the baitfeeder works great and kinda loud too NICE.. also after paying 70 bucks i found that they are 44 bucks at wally world ..... so i wil be ordering the next one from there LOL. and yes they will cast a mile even with 30-40 lb power pro i was amazed . is the black spool for salt water? just wondering why 1 spool is metal and one is coated with black stuff . perhaps it will be a good salt water reel too for the october reds here in fl. i now need to find the perfect ugly stik for the reel any ideas i want a 7-8 foot med-heavy something able to handle 1-6 ounces of lead but still cast decent if i am not useing big lead.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
okuma abs 65 update, hit the water yesterday new reel worked great and the baitfeeder works great and kinda loud too NICE.. also after paying 70 bucks i found that they are 44 bucks at wally world ..... so i wil be ordering the next one from there LOL. and yes they will cast a mile even with 30-40 lb power pro i was amazed . is the black spool for salt water? just wondering why 1 spool is metal and one is coated with black stuff . perhaps it will be a good salt water reel too for the october reds here in fl. i now need to find the perfect ugly stik for the reel any ideas i want a 7-8 foot med-heavy something able to handle 1-6 ounces of lead but still cast decent if i am not useing big lead.
Mainly the extra spool is just to have an extra spool with different line..You may want to have one spooled with braid and the other with mono..Or your idea is also great, have one for salt and one for fresh..I think the difference of the color is just to change the look so you know which is spooled with which line.There is nothing special about the extra spool..I think it would be an excellent reel for reds..I would pair it with an Ugly Stik Tiger..Thats what I wanted for mine but couldn't find one locally so I got a different rod..Or check out some of our USCA sponsors..Catfish Safari and Team Catfish have some great rods I hear..Theres a few others too and all of them get high marks here..Flamekeeper makes custom rods that I've also heard were awesome..

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i still have no complaints about the reel i do want a bit stouter rob and maybe a lil taller to i have the reel on a old silstar red n black 7foot med-heavy rod it was just laying around the house and looks like a sturdy WOUND or same wound design as and ugly stick or gator glass rod . since many years of fishing with ugly sticks i just can't see spending hundreds of bucks on a rod ... when a dirt cheap ugly stick will ALWAYS get the job done. and will even dead lift <---- this is when your fishing from a bridge with no net and have to use the rod to pick up the fish or as i call it ******* sling shot very bad to do but with my current ugly stic set up i am happy to report my pb jack cravel 13pounds landed no net dead lifting it up to the bridge and not even a sound from the doubled over med- 6'8inch ugly stick <---- used to be 7footer but after many times of repeated trunk lid closed encounters of the 3rd kind ********** ouch its now a CUSTOM UGLY STICK AND WITH A NEW METAL EYE TIP it only gets stouter the shorter or more CUSTOMIZATIONS i am forced to make it laoding car in a hurry ....rain. :)
if only the ugly stic tiger had a bit more flexible and the clear tip design ..i'd be sold but i am thinking that with bait runners or clickers for that matter you no longer need to watch the rod tip for the bite. send me your comments on your U.S. tiger rod i am interested .as i do need to pair the new 65 abs up with a perfect rod for all around use instead of switching from my 4 types of ugly sticks that i often do to see what one casts the best with many styles of sinkers results do very so tiger might excel in the casting 1-8 ounc sinkers and i need it to have stainless eyes not the crumbly inserts that are common in the budget class 20-30 buck kind at wal**** i do have these kind and i just buy and imeditly replace tip with stainless one found at flea markets, doing this stops ALL bad things that tend to happen with braided lines ...... sawing threw plastic tips and or damaging your line .. p.s. update later

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i been teeling my wife that i love the new okuma 65 and she bought me a okuma avenger 50 the next size smaller and i am going to try them both the 65 avenger and the new recruit avenger 50 <---- thinking about buying a ugly stick lady edition and toss some 25-30 lb braided line on it and giving it back to her and buying me a avenger 90 ,can you tell me if it is just to god awefull big / heavy,... the 65 i have is just about rite for a ugly stic cat serries but the tiger class might be what is needed for the 90 . also what is the max drag and max line cap on your 90 ? my 65 has a 22lb max drag with 20-25 lb line max cap. and the avgenger 50 is just a smidge less

· Registered
7,655 Posts
The max drag on the ABF 90 is the same as the ABF 65--22 lb. Max line capacity is 330 yds of 30 lb test mono. Suprisingly, the ABF is only .2 oz heavier than an ABF 65, the ABF 65 weighs 27.4 oz, the ABF 90 weighs 27.6 oz. Line capacity and retrieval are the biggest differences. I have 30 lb Ande mono on mine, but if I weren't fishing around so many rocks I would probably use at least 50-100 lb braid.

Do they make an Ugly Stick Tiger longer than 7'? I have my ABF 90 on a 12' Offshore Angler surf rod. The rod is rated for 3 oz to 8 oz. Doesn't Ugly Stick make some long rods in their Bigwater series?

BTW, I have an Avenger ABF 50 also, got it on an 8' Ugly Stick Catfish rod. I use 15 lb Big Game mono on this combo, and 12 lb mono on the spare spool. Again, if I weren't fishing around so many rocks, boulders, concrete pilings and other abraisive obstructions I would go up to 30-40 lb braid.

so i been teeling my wife that i love the new okuma 65 and she bought me a okuma avenger 50 the next size smaller and i am going to try them both the 65 avenger and the new recruit avenger 50 <---- thinking about buying a ugly stick lady edition and toss some 25-30 lb braided line on it and giving it back to her and buying me a avenger 90 ,can you tell me if it is just to god awefull big / heavy,... the 65 i have is just about rite for a ugly stic cat serries but the tiger class might be what is needed for the 90 . also what is the max drag and max line cap on your 90 ? my 65 has a 22lb max drag with 20-25 lb line max cap. and the avgenger 50 is just a smidge less

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Just a thought, take a look at the Epixor EB80's if you want to go a little bigger then the 65's. I've got several of them going on 4 yrs old. plenty of capacity for heavier line(presently running 50# power pro mono. No troubles and haven't been babied.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
Just a thought, take a look at the Epixor EB80's if you want to go a little bigger then the 65's. I've got several of them going on 4 yrs old. plenty of capacity for heavier line(presently running 50# power pro mono. No troubles and haven't been babied.
Yep, the Epixor EB80 would be a fine choiice. They are supposed to be a cut above the Avenger series and of course they're more expensive.

I had a black and red 8' Silstar rod that came with a big spinning reel. Used it for almost 25 yrs and last fall broke the rod by slamming a car door on it. The old Silstar reel still works fine. Eventually I'll find a used rod and put the reel back in business. The reel is a little bigger than an Okuma 50 and was never babied either.

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not sure about if tiger make em longer then 7 or not i did see one at the bait shop tho it looked nice but just tto stout or i though.... i failed to realize that when chunking big lead you gota have a stout rod, that said tho i am still having a hard time figureing out the rite set up... as in if it get a stout short rod say a 6ft fish stix 20$ @ bait shop, hevy action. will it still cast a heavy lead pretty far or do i need to get a longer rod. big water serries make some cloud ticklers LOL 12-16 foot ugly stic just a bit to long for transporting in the car . a tiger is looking like the perfect match fer the abs 65. and a nice catfish ser. ugly stick fer the abs 50 . also i know what you need about braided lines + rocks . i lost 3 rigs lastnite due to the rocky bottom near the dam... and i belive i coulda got em back if i had andys on it ******* lol. the expeior's do look very nice and built more for salt water tougher drags ... mo money tooo :( like close to double the price.....but perfect for monster cats and built to take a beating. if i had the money i'd surely buy the expeior class.
but a avenger is in my budget for now, i am willing to bet that you can tell/feal a diffrence in a avenger / expeior .

also i though about buying a heavy action 9foot ugly stick and cutting 1 foot off the end and reglueing a tip on and hope this producess a stiffer rod tip for casting big lead LOL i know i know why mess up a good rod? because he shorter they get the stiffer they get. ty fer the help and ideas guys

· Registered
7,655 Posts
You might want to look at the BPS PowerPlus Offshore Angler Series surf rods. They're around $22-$30, 2-piece will throw half pound of lead. Available in 9', 10', 12', and 15', will break down into 2 pieces and aren't bad for transport, and pretty light.

Not sure if I would want to cut off a foot or so of a rod, it would probably ruin its action. I have one of the 8' Ugly Stik Catfish rods, they're great for fishing with 4 oz weights and under. But they're a little flimsy for casting anything heavier. They're only rated to throw up to 3 oz, but I usually use from 1/2 oz to 2 oz sinkers, sometimes 3 oz at max.

not sure about if tiger make em longer then 7 or not i did see one at the bait shop tho it looked nice but just tto stout or i though.... i failed to realize that when chunking big lead you gota have a stout rod, that said tho i am still having a hard time figureing out the rite set up... as in if it get a stout short rod say a 6ft fish stix 20$ @ bait shop, hevy action. will it still cast a heavy lead pretty far or do i need to get a longer rod. big water serries make some cloud ticklers LOL 12-16 foot ugly stic just a bit to long for transporting in the car . a tiger is looking like the perfect match fer the abs 65. and a nice catfish ser. ugly stick fer the abs 50 . also i know what you need about braided lines + rocks . i lost 3 rigs lastnite due to the rocky bottom near the dam... and i belive i coulda got em back if i had andys on it ******* lol. the expeior's do look very nice and built more for salt water tougher drags ... mo money tooo :( like close to double the price.....but perfect for monster cats and built to take a beating. if i had the money i'd surely buy the expeior class.
but a avenger is in my budget for now, i am willing to bet that you can tell/feal a diffrence in a avenger / expeior .

also i though about buying a heavy action 9foot ugly stick and cutting 1 foot off the end and reglueing a tip on and hope this producess a stiffer rod tip for casting big lead LOL i know i know why mess up a good rod? because he shorter they get the stiffer they get. ty fer the help and ideas guys

· Registered
7,655 Posts
Just checked Cabela's website and they have a Tiger in 8', but it's ML and only rated to throw 1-4 oz. However, they have 7' Tiger models that throw uo to 8 oz in MH. If I liked the Tiger, I'd go with it on the big Okumas. A 10' or 12' rod isn't a neccesity, but is handy for us bank fishermen

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a taller rod seem to be the key for those across the rive cast that often seems to produse a big fish or two.also i am currently seeking a tiger rod now ty buddy the wife is gona LOVE YOUR IDEA <------ hahahhahahah i can hear her now ....ANOTHER ROD [email protected]!!!!! lol nah she's good she often gets to use the best one's in our collection so i can see here now LOL . also when dam fishing do you fish the dam its self and its white water or rough parts or hit the current breaks or eddies , or do you fish the bouy line that seperates you from the wite water ? i was thinking eddies and current breaks but we tryed it all last nite with lil or no results . caught 1 finger cat my bait was bigger then him how i hooked him no clue.and a blue gill witch i used fer bait .. we had frozen FRESH shad so the bait shop owner said frozen freshh you say LOL and blue gills . many gators in the area tho that could have been the problem. just want some of your thoughts

· Registered
929 Posts
matt,

check out the BWS 1102-8 its a 2 piece 8ft ugly stick that's is rated for 1-6oz but i know it can cast 8 easy. retails for less than 100 dollars.

also check out the okuma coranado cd-90 another hi cap reel that's fairly priced.

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the ugly stix do you happen to know if they have the all metal eyes on them ? the one i want to buy needs these they are tougher and i don't mangle the eyes up in the loading and unloading them in to the trunk ,and grate for braided lines ty kindly if i can i'd love to stay with ugly stix.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
Don't forget Okuma has a full line of rods as well as reels, I have for of their rods, so far I really like them for action and durability,well balanced smooth rods! Oh yeah, I have one of those old silstar rods in a 10 foot model that is one tough cookie,caught many good fish on it and it has been abused to death and still goes everywhere with me. had a smaller one that broke in half on the first hookset with it,one awesome one junk,go fiqure.

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i haven't had the chance to use one yet other then the salmon combo i bought in alaska and i loved it. i'll be looking for them here in florida but not alot of bait shops carry em , perhaps i can order one threw them tho . ty don i'll have to check that out .
wold be neet to have a matching combo

· Banned
100 Posts
I just got an Okuma ABF 65, that i paired with an eagle claw 11' heavy water eagle for long distance casting. The rod was only 29$ and got 4 and 5 stars on all its reviews on bass pro so all together the combo cost me like 100$ Not to bad :) i had it out practicing some casts with it and so for i really like it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.