Okuma and Master brand reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Dirtdobber, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Has any one used either of this reels? They are not very expensive,I was wondering how well they are made.:confused2:

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i got the okuma epixor love it very smooth reel

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't know about Master. Okuma seems to be like everybody else...they make some stuff so cheap you wouldn't use it for an anchor, and on the other end, some reels that are pretty well thought of. It's a cliche, but you get what you pay for.

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I second that one, Ive tried a bunch of different reels and the one thing that seem to hole true in all the brands is if its cheep, IT IS ,, "not to offend anyone but thats my take on reeels":confused2:
    Puddle

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i wouldent lump the okuma on the cheap list myself thay are well made and are tuff reels i would not hesatate to buy anuther but thean agen every one likes diff stuff

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've got 3 of the Epixor EB80's and 6 of the avenger series 50's. So far in 2 years I haven't had a problem with any of them.

7. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    I also run all 50 series avengers and love them. Im not sure if your talking about spinning or baitcasters though. I've heard mixed reviews on the baitcasters. I wouldnt trade my avengers for any other kind of spinners that ive had my hands so far.

8. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i've got an EB50 and an ABF40. Both are awesome. Only difference i can feel is the drags. the EB's seems to be a tad better than the ABF's.

9. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Just heard about them through a friend can get them in Tulsa I'll have to go look at them. I use the Abu 7000 had real good luck with them.

10. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have 2 avenger 65 reels they seem fine to me I haven't caught anything over 9 pounds on either one yet but I will this year:wink:

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I have 2 avenger 65 reels they seem fine to me I haven't caught anything over 9 pounds on either one yet but I will this year:wink:

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have the avenger abf 50 and haven't had any problems, for the price they seem like a decent reel.

13. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lol Since your post was about THE non expensive REEL'S and you got NO reply about those you asked about ....tHERE NOT EVEN WORTH LOOKING AT SAVE YOUR MONEY AND FISH ON.

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are asking about spinning reels, I would say the Avenger series are a great buy for the money. I still have two 65 avengers and fished with them for a couple of years with no problems at all. I no longer use them because I went back to castings reels.
    You mentioned your current reel is a 7000, so if you are asking about casting reels, I would have to advise staying with the Abu 7000 series, becaue I am not sure Okuma makes a casting reel to rival the 7000. Good luck.

15. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I've never used a spinning reel for cats I'll have to get one and try it. All I use are the Abu 6500 & 7000. Thanks to all for your input. Thats what make this sit great.

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There's an odd prejudice against spinning reels in the big cat community. It makes no sense to me...saltwater fishers have been catching far bigger and meaner fish on spinners for a very long time.

A good spinner is going to cost more than a comparable conventional, it's true, but they have a couple of things going for them...no backlashes, and they gobble huge amounts of line on the retrieve, which is significant if you're fishing in a stump field from the bank. They can make a 6oz bank sinker plane.:smile2:

17. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Now I have to talk wife into new rod and reel Guess I could tell her it was for her:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I know I would definitely buy another Okuma avenger abf65 good sturdy reel good spinning reel baitfeeder works nice :wink:

19. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I made a mistake and bought a Roddy Master 181 off ebay about 4 years ago. Seemed like a good deal. Well the worm gear and pawl got messed up, good luck finding replacement parts for that one. Now I just get Penn's. You get what you pay for.

20. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a okuma classic cl 300l on a abu garcia 8'6" olympian salmon/steelhead rod. I won it last year along with another rig at the bait shop on a $2.00 tip book. I did use it for fishing and had no problems catching any fish but I was not use to the the way to cast the reel since there was no button to hold and engage the spool only a lever. I am planning on putting it to the test this year on the ohio river during my vacation. I am putting Berkley big game 40lb line on it. This rig will be used for large whole bait only so I can target trophy blues. I will post the results of my trip and this reel after my vacation. As far as being cheap all I can say is buy the best product you can afford at the time! My dad always told me that in life you need to learn to crawl before you walk! You cant always have the best things in life. You do what makes you happy!