Okra

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by samh, Jul 14, 2006.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Finally got a good mess of okra out of the garden today. Planted it 3 times this spring before I finally got a good stand, and when it came up all 3 plantings came up so even after thinning I've got about twice as much as normal, so now that its started we'll have lots. Wife says we'll have fried okra,fried squash,t-bone,black eyed peas, corn on the cob and corn bread with fresh tomatoes,cucumbers and onion on the side for supper tonight. Everything but the stuff to make the corn bread and the cow is right out of the garden and the cow was raised here, just got to get some of him out of the freezer. Fresh summer food almost makes up for the 100* days.

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sounds nice i love okra never tried grownin though i like it pickeled and fried

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Pickled is good, specially with lots of garlic, but rolled in batter and fried up crispy in a cast iron skillet is just about as good as it gets, of course there ain't many things edible that pan fry'n ain't the tastiest was to fix, might not be the healthiest, but it most likely is the tastiest. Got'a love cast iron and grease.

How far north do folks grow okra, I've had people from Iowa,Wisconsin and such tell me they've never even seen it before until they ate it at my house, found that hard to believe till it got to be common among my Yankee visitors over the years.

4. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I love okra too. Fried, pickled and in beef stew. We try to grow it every year in Indiana. Sometimes it does good and sometimes it doesn't. Looking good this year so far.

5. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    next time you go to the garden to pick the okra, try eating it right there fresh off the stalk, you will be plesantly surprised. Make sure it is young and tender not old and stringy.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Now that sounds like a fine meal. How far is damascus from Natural Dam I might have to come over and eat supper with ya:big_smile:

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas

Just south of Bee Branch.

8. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sam, Have you tried to slooooooow fry okra in your cast iron skillet? I am talking about cutting it like you would to batter fry it---about 1/2" wide wheels-----put it in your fry pan with a touch of cooking oil, season---cook real slow(like 20 to 30 minutes)---my stove goes from 0 to 9(hi) I usually use about 3 setting, keep stiring every minute or two so it will not burn or stick. I Love it fried, boiled, but this way is my best---It will make your tounge slap your brains out. Randy

9. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    I love that stuff, all the ways mentioned and also in vegetable soup!!
    ps keep the cow out of the garden!!
    catwacker

10. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    We love fried okra down here as well as smothered down with fresh maters, hot peppers and garlic served over rice with a big ol pork steak!

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    That sound s really good right now. Minus the rice though. Mash taters sounds better too me.

12. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You can't beat fresh from the garden, home grown. Jack.

13. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I even converted my mom from fried okra....Try drenching it in good olive olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and grill on medium until light brown. You want to talk about good eatin. I also love it fried, pickled and boiled (yum yum slimy).

14. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mercy That Sounds Like Some GOOOOD Eating!! Call Me when U cook it again!! Randy

15. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Samh i'd check at your local nursery but i believe for being in arkansas you probably planted too early the first 2 times. Just a thought.

16. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    pickled okra yummy

17. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I figure your right, we had a cool spring, just haf'ta push planting times as early as you can so it will produce faster, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Got plenty now though.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Sam you sure know how to make someone hungry. My okra didnt take this year. I always have to start them from seeds, none of the plant sellers ever carry okra. Dont know why but they dont, guess its too far north.

19. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have only had okra deep fried and ohooooo so good.

20. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Never have try OKRA would like to one day.