Oklahoma River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Fordman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I fished the Oklahoma River (Canadian) this evening in Oklahoma City. Nothing happening in the section between Meridian Ave and Portland. Neither shad or DK's punchbait would get a hit.

2. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Fordman,

I've never tried the Oklahoma River. I always thought the area West of Meridian looked pretty good. Did you try that area at all?

Paul

3. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Mike......
    i have tried a number of times at May ave. with not luck other than a bunch of mud cats.
    We have done decent off Walker. But the place that really looks good to me is where Pauls talking about.... east of Portland and east of Maccarthur.

Dave

4. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Why don't we set up a little expedition? That area looks good and I don't know of anyone who's tried it. I'm game almost any weekend if you guys want to try it out. I don't know about boat access but I have 14' jon boat that could probably get us where we need to be.

Paul

5. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i am in just tell me when i got the fuel!

6. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Hey Jeremy, soon as this weather clears up, let's hit it. Sounds like it will be a week or two. I'll stay in touch.

Paul

7. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I'm game for an expedition to the Portland or McAuther location or both. Next two weekends are out for me though. Tournament prep and a tournament, then maybe a trip to the river again.

8. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I wouldn't mind going in a couple/few weeks. Bank fishing doesn't even sound too bad to me.

Dave

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I dont think there is any boat access in the area you all are talking about but bushwacking is always a blast. Below the last dam off of eastern the shad are so thick you can almost catch them with your hands. The last of those lakes has been drained. The remaining fish are thick in those pools and are quickly becoming prey to the birds.

The river is up really well above Overholser. It is really beautiful and easily accessible to a boat via the Overholser ramp. Just drive with caution, some parts are thick with stumps and hang ups. A couple weeks ago halk frozen half alive shad were all over the bank, not sure why. The channel cats are usually good in the refuge. Blue cats aren't supposed to be in there but every so often one will pop up.

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Does anyone know about the reg's for camping on the river in town? Not in the MAPS area but above where the dams start.

Dave

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Matt, there's a boat ramp just east of Portland, on SW15.
    David, here's the section of prohibited stuff on the Oklahoma River;
    § 38-723. Prohibited activities.
    (a) Camping, as defined in this article;

(b) Consumption of alcoholic beverages and non-intoxicating beverages upon any roadways, trails, parking areas or specifically designated areas;

(c) Playing golf or any use whatsoever of golf balls except in those areas designated for such activity;

(d) Model aircraft flying except in those areas specifically designated for such activity;

(e) The moving or displacing of rock, gravel or soil, or the digging of holes, or the building of mounds, or the moving or displacing of the bank protection or riprapping or any grounds, or the erecting or construction of any structure or facility;

(f) Skin diving, scuba diving and snorkeling, as defined in this article;

(g) Parasailing or paraskiing, sail boarding, windsurfing and kite surfing, as defined in this article;

(h) Water skiing, as defined in this article; and

(i) No person shall stock fish, or release any bird, animal or plant (aquatic nuisance species) into the Oklahoma River without the written consent of the Parks and Recreation Director.

(Ord. No. 22702, § 1, 4-5-05; Ord. No. 22832, § 3, 9-13-05)

Camping as defined § 38-719. Definitions.
    (7) Camping means where a temporary shelter, such as a tent, is erected for lodging.

Here is the fishing regulations pertaining to the Oklahoma River;
    § 38-751. Prohibited areas for fishing within the NCRCRA.
    No person shall fish from or off of dam and lock structures or in or on the water within 100 feet of the dam and lock structures of the NCRCRA.

(Ord. No. 22702, § 1, 4-5-05)

§ 38-752. Bow fishing and snagging fish prohibited.
    Bow fishing and snagging fish are prohibited in or upon the waters of the NCRCRA.

§ 38-753. Noodling.
    Noodling, as defined in this article, is permitted in the waters of the NCRCRA from N.W. 10th Street bridge downstream to the MacArthur Street bridge. Wading is permitted to the extent necessary while engaged in noodling.

§ 38-754. Restrictions on game fish.
    (a) No game fish, as defined in this chapter, shall be used as bait.

(b) No person shall take any game fish, as defined in this chapter, by any means other than by hook-and-line.

(c) Anglers may take game fish, as defined in this chapter, according to the limits set forth in Subsection (d) of this section in any one day from midnight to midnight, and licensed nonresident anglers shall not have in their possession on leaving the State more than a legal two-day catch of any species of said game fish.

(d) Specific limitations. No person shall take, catch, or kill any fish in violation of the limits and restrictions set forth below:

SIZE AND DAILY POSSESSION​

LIMITS FOR WATERS

WITHIN THE NCRCRA

TABLE INSET:

Species Minimum
    Size* Daily
    Possession
    Limit All black bass None No harvest (catch and release only) Channel and/or blue catfish None 6 fish
    (combined) Crappie None 37 Flathead catfish 20" 10 Rainbow Trout None 6 Other None None
    *Note: Minimum size means fish caught which measures less than the minimum size length for that species must be returned to the water immediately. When measuring fish, length is measured from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail, with the fish laid flat on a ruler, mouth closed and tail lobes pressed together.

Provided, however, in no event shall any person take, catch, or kill any fish in violation of the method of taking, length limits, and bag limits as set by the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission of the State of Oklahoma or in violation of the restrictions in this section.

§ 38-755. Fisherman's floats.
    (a) No person shall use a fisherman's float, as defined in this chapter, in the NCRCRA except during daylight hours.

(b) Fisherman's floats may be used in the NCRCRA in tributaries and coves, necks, and within 100 feet of the shorelines where not otherwise prohibited by ordinance.

(c) All persons using fisherman's floats, as defined in this chapter, shall wear Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices at all times when operating floats in the NCRCRA.

§ 38-763. Limitations and restrictions on fishing equipment.
    (a) A fishing permit shall entitle the holder thereof to the use of not more than three lines, rods, or poles. Not more than three hooks shall be used on any one line; provided this restriction shall not apply to artificial lures with more than three hooks.

(b) Nets, yo-yos, traps, gigs, spears, cast nets, gill nets, hoop nets, trawl nets, trammel nets or seines of any kind, trot, jug, limb, or throw lines shall not be used in the waters of the NCRCRA.

Got these from http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=19994&sid=36

Hope this helps some, Will

12. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I guess that means you can camp as long as a shelter is not erected. I wonder if just bags and a tarp type camping is allowed?

13. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Will, Thanks for the info on the area. I was about to be illegal with respect to netting and 5 poles. I would hate to be ticketed for too many poles.

What gets me as far as city statues go........ The wardens won't regulate a city rule. But they will tell you about it and advise against it. And city cops seem to worry that you are not doing anything illegal like drinking or doing drugs. I have yet to have them try to enforce and city mandated fishing reg's. I have not fish at Dolesse park so I can't say how they are there.

I am meeting a fishing buddy of mine down there today to see what we can catch. We will be fishing by the boat ramp off Portland to start and no telling where we may end up.

Dave

14. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    does anyone know if the bank fishing is any good near martin luther king and easton area near the bridge. I drive by there all the time but have only seen one person fishin so wasnt sure. I only see the people ridin the 4 wheelers and such

15. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    A city worker said there are some big fish over there by Eastern. He also told me there are some big holes of water around there too.

We caught 1 channel about 3 pounds on the river then we went to a pond. The bite was real slow and they were not committing to taking the bait. We got a few real nice hits but that was all.

Dave

16. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would call the local police and ask and if you can I would let them know when and where, invite them down for a cup coffee. If they are around the crooks who break into cars won't be.
    Have fun and catch some biggens!

17. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I spoke with a city officer and he was a very nice guy. Apparently access to the river in certain areas is getting to be impossible. The area by MacArthur is being developed and you can't get in over there. Kinda a shame...... there was some good 4 wheeling over there and it appears it is a thing of the past now.

Interesting note tho. .... Noodling is allowed between 10st bridge and MacArthur.

Dave

18. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    Well I plan on going fishing down on the river one day next week. Maybe more I am getting my fishing poles and throw nett for some shad or perch which ever one lands in the net. If anyone is interested in going down there pm me and let me know I am not sure how well I will do for I have never fished it before.