Oklahoma octopus?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Brian D, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    so I am watching this show on animal planet called 'lost tapes'.they did this storie about octopus attacking some kids in a unnamed oklahoma lake.So after enetering this into the search engine,it turns out there are 3 lakes with reports like this! Has anybody heard any stories like this?I have some 8/0 octopus hooks,but dont know what bait would be legal for these flesh eatin octies,lol.

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    thats pretty wild i'll have to watch to see any response to this thread

3. DRWIII

DRWIII New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What lakes were these attacks reported?

4. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oolagah,Thunderbird and Tenkiller lakes.check unknownexplorers.com for the story and some questionable evidence.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I saw that show the other week. Sounds like there just making stuff up now. Never heard of this ever in Oklahoma.

6. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I heard a few stories about this in the past week or so, sounds like they may be blowing smoke

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    NOW WAIT A DOGGONE MINUTE!!!! I thought it was safe to swim in our lakes now we have loch ness pus in our midst.:crazy: OOOOHHH HEAVANS TO BETSY SAVE THE CHILDREN FIRST. Ok, now that I have that out of my system, I feel better. On a more serious note. I think what is being referred to as an octopus in Lake Tenkiller is a freshwater jellyfish. When I used to scuba dive in Tenkiller back in the early 70's I observed several opague freshwater jellyfish pulsing thru the water. I was shocked on seeing my first one. Thought I had been seeing things. Nope! they were real. I saw several over a couple of years. As for T-bird and Oolagah I cannot speak, but I would bet a Braum's burger that is what it is. My .02 worth.

8. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    back around 1970 i smoked some stuff one time up at tenkiller, could be i saw that thing one night or maybe it was a elephant!

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Could be... once after enjoying 1/2 quart of my friend's corn anti-freeze, I thought I saw Sasquatch just above Tenkiller on Snake Creek. Later I wuz tole that it be Chuck's coon dog standing over me lickin my face. :eek:oooh:

10. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Fresh Water Jelly fish....never knew there was such a thing. I also didn't know there were fresh water sponges in Oklahoma but found some in my local lakes. Maybe there is a monster Octopus :tounge_out:

11. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    The local news announced last year that there were fresh water jelly fish in one of the lakes in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, but they wouldn't say which one. Seems they were worried about people messing with them.

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes Chris I have seen a couple of them too. Now as for Albert and the coon dog????? Psst! Albert can you spare a wee pint fer me lassie? It be cold out tonight and I need sumpin to keep me fires burnin:smile2:

13. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
  14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Apparently, small children would be the bait of choice.
    I recommend you hook them at the back of the neck and throw them in. Leave plenty of hook exposed to ensure a good hook up:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:
    ...W

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yep, live bait rules for octopi!:smile2:

16. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris - The ones I saw in Tenkiller were the size of a golf ball to maybe tennis ball.

Metalman - Small kids are the ideal size, they cast well and supply plenty of action. Excellant choice:smile2:

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mean sting, aint it?:wink:

18. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kutter - I never got close enough to get stung, thank goodness.

19. FishOnChuck

FishOnChuck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would question the octopus report but freshwater jellyfish (Craspedacusta sowerbyi if you care about the taxonomy) definitely inhabit our lakes and are not that uncommon. I have personally collected them from Tenkiller and do not doubt that they inhabit the other lakes listed and probably many more. We kept some in an aquarium in our lab once and they lived awhile but are pretty fragile and difficult to keep. Where I have seen them, they exist in very large colonies in open water. See link:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Craspedacusta_sowerbyi.html

I use an 8/0 Kahle when baiting up with them. Blue cat think they taste like skipjack, but they tend to be difficult to catch as they slide through the cast net . . .:wink:

20. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Steve - Are you one of ODWC regional biologists from the Jenks or Porter office?