OKLAHOMA MEETING(S)

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Feb 3, 2009.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Per a suggestion by Bo, I have started this thread so as to not place any confusion about future Keystone Gatherings. What I have proposed is an entirely separate entity than a "gathering". To me, a gathering is an organized event which usually follows a format of a few days camping with friends, a pot-luck dinner with door prizes. I believe the same thing can be accomplished just by those who are interested all show up on the same weekend, at the same lake, at the same campgrounds. It would normally only be a Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday morning event, which can be modified according to the individuals needs.

I think the best way to accomplish this is just to find out how much interest there is in such an event. I propose we all take the month of February to discuss whether or not we should have such a meeting, what guidelines should be established, dates/times and locations

The free fishing weekend in Oklahoma is I believe June 6 and 7, or it may be the 5th and 6th. The brothers in Kansas is holding a gathering in Kansas during the same period. I imagine everyone would like to attend most of the gatherings each year, but the fiscal reality prohibits the realization of that desire. I don't know the distance from say Oklahoma City to where the Kansas gathering is to be held, but I do know it was just a little over 500 miles to Degray. That is a lot of miles and time on the road. Keystone, NE of OKC is about 100 miles from OKC, Kaw is about 115 miles from OKC, and Texhoma is about 150 miles from OKC. I am using OKC just to have a reference point for distance.

The beauty of this program would be we could have the camp out once a month, changing the lake and campground locations so more people could attend. I'm not overly familiar with lakes in Western Oklahoma, or in NW Oklahoma, but I would imagine there would be some place fishermen (or liars, as the case may be) can meet. We know eastern, NE and SE Oklahoma has an abundance of lakes/rivers we could meet at. Actually, one or two people could say they were going to be at the xyz campground on Lake abc on such and such date, and we could splinter and have several of these meetings.

Guess we just need your input at this point.

2. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i was thinking of more like "hey anyone want to go camping at kaw in 4 weeks?" Thats more like a non organized camping trip. Dont ya think? It dont have to be complicated. my 2 cents

3. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    If it hits right I would go to some of these. Just post em when you decide.

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well i'm not sure where most the events taken place, but i am from south grand lake and have more fishing buddy's from this area down to Kerr on the eastern side of the state, which to me isn't that far of a distance, i do know in the past there was one at twin bridges which i guess gets alot of the missou boys and maybe some kansas folks, i don't know really i haven't been to one of these gatherings but wouldn't mind going to one, is there any gatherings inbetween grand lake and say maybe Kerr for south grand and why do the dates always seem to fall in around early June? just questions from me that's all open to all sugestions

5. posifour11

posifour11 New Member

State:
    OK
    i'm glad this was brought up. i'm up for a weekend fishing trip, for sure. i was looking at my map tonight and realized that i'm not too far from kaw lake at all.

i'm all for some folks calling a weekend to just meet up and fish. kinda like an old/new friend get-together. nothing fancy, just fishin' and lyin'. bring your poles and tent and call it good.

if i don't have drill or some other obligation, i'll be there with net in hand.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I would make a Kaw meeting. Its fairly close(100miles) and I know it pretty well.
    I would try to make it to some of the other ones spread out across the state.
    I will be keepin an eye on this thread. Hopefully something materializes.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  8. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I would be up for a weekend at Kaw lake. Just pick a weekend. The only thing is I need at least a month notice in advance to plan the time off. I agree with "AW" keep it simple, just some guys getting together to fish.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I can't make reservations at Kaw Lake until April 1st. After that date, I'll make a reservation for April, May, June, July, and August. I'll post them in the thread once they are made so people may be able to make plans to attend. Seeing as how paydays are usually around the 1st and 15th, Ill try to make them for the following weekends. LOL

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I will do my best to be there whenever it is. I like the camping and fishing at Coon Creek. Im not picky though.:smile2:
    Anyone else interested?

11. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    We are ready any weekend, Kaw is our favorite lake but moving from lake to lake sounds like a winner to me. I need to use that new camping trailer this year all I can.
    Coon Creek, Sarge Creek, Osage Cove. there all good camping sites at Kaw. Theres one camp ground below the dam thats good but fairly primitive.

We'll be watchin' & waitin'

12. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Would do my best to make some of these if possible. A gathering is defined in my book as two or more folks meeting up to camp and fish. A gathering does not have to have door prizes, main meal or anything else to be called a gathering. If you are coming just for that reason, then you are missing the point of having a gathering to start with! It is not about winning anything or taking anything back home. Other than the fond memories that are made relaxing and having a good time with friends. meeting and making old and new friends is what it is all about!

13. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

I couldn't have said it any better Newton,

I totally agree..

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I agree too. Too much hassle to do it any other way.

15. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We are ready for it too........

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    kaw sounds ok to me. 100 mile drive..that is not bad.

what are the fishing regs at kaw? jugs allowed?

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i called the corps and they told me it is the same as state regs, which mean jugging is ok...i would like to do it!

18. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have another at Twin Bridges coming up the last weekend of March. It's posted under the gatherings section, but is called a get together. Of course there's a bunch of water in Oklahoma I have never fish in and would like to. thx

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I haven't forgotten the monthly outings. Gotta go to Joplin this weekend, then maybe I'll have time to get started with the other stuff. LOL

20. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I love the Keystone gathering, but it has never been a good time to catch many fish where, and when we have had it.It has however been a great place for a gathering, and a safe place to bring the whole family.If we could "get together" and catch some cats it would be great! If given say, 2 weeks notice I could make arangements to make it to any lake in Eastern Oklahoma.