oklahoma hog hunting

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by whitney weese, Jul 20, 2008.

1. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    would like to know where some privet land in eastern Oklahoma that a person could do some hog hunting on.

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Which part of eastern oklahoma are you in? There's a lot of hogs on the public land in that part of the state. I'd try the Hanobia Creek place, or some of the public land around lake texoma, or do some research through the state wildlife department. Check them out on the web at www.wildlifedepartment.com to look for some more info.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    In Oklahoma, there is no season or limit on wild hogs. There are specific places (public hunting areas) where hog hunting is closed at specific times of the year, but overall there is no closed season on hog hunting in Oklahoma. Yes you can cook them, the sows are better than the boars, and you want one that's 150 lbs or less..... Most people kill them with rifles. I prefer a knife.

4. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i live up on tenkiller lake. in sequoyah county. about center of the state on the ark line. we do have a public hunting area that has some. but it only open in december.

5. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    and all you can use is shotgun with shot or a 22

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Do a search here in the hog hunting forum and you'll see how I do it with a knife. I'll have dogs hanging off a hog like ticks by the time I waltz in to stick one. It sounds scarey, but it really isn't that big of a deal. If you've got good dogs, you could let anyone stick the hog.

Mark, I only have them professionally butchered if I want german sausage or something made. It's surprisingly easy to butcher a hog yourself. If you can skin a hog, you can figure out how to pick apart the rest just by looking at it. Once you've seen it done, it's super easy. If I'm gonna cut it up after I skin it, I hang it up by the head. I don't even gut them. You can skin one rather easily by cutting the legs off at the knee/ankle joints, then cutting the hide right down the back, belly, and making a cut down each leg. Then you pull the hide down from the head a fair bit (about 8 or 10 inches) and put a big rock under the skin, making a ball underneath it, then you tie a rope around that big ball under the skin & use a pickup or 4-wheeler to jerk all the hide off your hog. If done correctly, the actual "skinning" part will take less than 5 minutes. The shoulders come off in one big joint, just get on the belly side of the pig and push the front legs apart & you can see right where they should come apart.... just use the knife and cut them away from the body. On a wild hog, the shoulders are the best part. After you get them off, just follow the muscles and cut them all off in chunks. It's easy once you see what I'm talking about. I cut them all up into little pieces, put them in a foil pan full of italian dressing, and put the whole thing in the smoker for about 8 hours. Yummy....

To take the backstraps out, you just make one long cut along each side of the spine, then drop over about 4 or 5 inches (you'll be able to see the edge of the muscle) and make another cut going parallel to the first one..... except along the ribs. Then you go up by the shoulders, and start cutting each backstrap off the hog, they'll just peel off after you get them started. To get the hams off, all you need to do is find the hip ball-socket on each side and cut through it, and the ham will nearly fall off. You'll have to help the process along by cutting the ham loose from the spine, but it'll pretty much fall apart on ya. Leave the ribs and the tenderloins underneath the spine, neither are worth jacking with in a wild hog. Wild hogs are much more lean than domestic hogs, and everytime I've eaten them their ribs have sucked to be really honest. On a big hog, you're gonna have to use pretty strong spices on the hams, otherwise they won't have a wonderful flavor... to put it mildly.

I oughta make a how-to video on how to clean a hog one of these days. It's really easy once you've seen it done. The most important thing after killing a good eating hog, is that you cut it up quickly and put it on ice for a day or two. Good care of the meat is the most important thing you've gotta worry about. Keep the meat clean and get it cooled off as quickly as possible.

I'm pretty sure Luke Clayton had an article about proper care of game meat during the summer months. You might wanna do a little search and see if you can find it here on the BOC.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    like jerrod said, it's easy to process your own meat. i always read about folks dulling three or four knives cutting through the shield on a boar. where the heck was their whetstone??? i will resharpen my knife maybe twice while actually cutting meat, and right after skinning and cutting off the hocks. this is because putting pressure on a blade against cartilage and bone will dull your knife in spots, causing your blade to hang up later. but it doesn't take but a couple seconds to put another edge on your knife. wild pork, i think, is way better than domestic, depending on what they have been eating. it's real lean so you have to baste and marinade it more while cooking or it can dry out.