Oklahoma gun season starts Saturday.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jlingle, Nov 13, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well, looks like the good Lord has pulled through for me on some really good huntin' land for the Oklahoma rifle season. After last year, I lost 2 exceptional hunting places due to.... quite frankly it was due to folks having more money to spend on hunting than me. Oh well. But that left me with darn few places to hunt this year. The places I was left with were small, and didn't have very high deer numbers, so I didn't know what to think. Then I was told that a friend of the family had some land over in the very southwest corner of the state, so I hit him up about hunting it. He said that would be fine that he didn't mind if I did. I asked him if anybody would be hunting there currently so I could stay out of their way, and he told me that nobody had EVER been given permission to hunt their family land before. HOLY COW!!! :eek:oooh: Talk about makin' your eyes pop out, virgin territory!!!! Whoopeeeee!!! I bet the deer flock to his place when the shootin' starts. If I'm guessin', then that's probably their safe haven. Not anymore buckzilla.... this year you're gonna be in deep trouble. I can't wait. I gave this man's son his first job, and he's been extremely good friends with my parents for years.... I just never knew he had any good land to hunt. What a deal.

I think I'm pretty blessed. My mom likes to say "you always seem to land on your feet!" but I think I'm just plain blessed. Makes me wanna sing Jesus loves me. I can't wait 'til Saturday.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Go get em Jarrod. I wish we had a Will Rogers for this day an age.

3. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Go get'em!God has blessed me this year as well.I've meet two guys who are taking me to thier honey holes one by boat on a wma,the other private land for deer camp in a hunting cabin.I just came back from Arkansas at my familys deer camp in the Ozarks(froze our buts off in tents).God led me to my first deer,a big 6 point about 4:30pm Saturday..Unfortunately I shot high and only hit one lung,he was on the run after a doe and a smaller buck.He ran about 100yrds up the mountain before laying over.The blood trail wasgreat for about 30yds then I lost it .I ran a half mile back to deer camp to get help but everyone was gone except one of my uncles-everyone else was headed to town an hour away to check my cousin's 8point.My uncle and I climbed back up the mountain but by this time it was after 6 and dark I couldn't find the blood trail in the dark again.I'll pack marking tape from now on.We wondered around and spooked on deer about 40 yrds away.He said as cold as it would be tonight if I shot him as good as I said the meat would be alright as long as we found him before something else.I climbed the mountain at first light and prayed to the holy spirirt to lead me.After climbing and looking I said another prayer "Lord I don't know where to go,your going to half to show me where this deer is"just then I heard something and about 50yds over from me a coyote bolted from a pine thicket I found him,but I wasn't first I feel bad that we couldn't find him the night before but nothing went to waste all that was left was his head .bones and one back leg.I got his antlers,and lesson learned about marking tape.The shattered 2 ribs let me know I had it him high and the blood trail led me back to where we had spooked him the night before about 100 yrds from where I shot him.From the pool of blood whe had layed over and when we went looking for him we ran him on up to the bedding area in the pine thicket.I know it was God who led me to the deer in the first place,and I keep in mind if he feeds the coyotes,how much better care will he continue to take of me and my family.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep Jingle, probably won't be anyone there but you and the poachers.

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Lawrence, I've thought the exact same thing but didn't dare say it. You're probably exactly right, but I really hope not. It's not a very big place.