Oklahoma controlled hunts

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by jlingle, May 20, 2008.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Has anybody on here ever been drawn for one of the Oklahoma controlled hunts through the wildlife dept? I have a couple of buddies who have been drawn several times, but I've never been drawn. I figure I must be getting close, so I've been putting in for the really good hunts the last few years. :roll_eyes: Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you guys put in for the hunts, and if you have ever had much luck.

2. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i knowa guy who drawed in on a elk hunt a few years ago down southwest of okie city, he said they haul you out to an certain area, you hunt there and when you shot one just walk back out to where they let you out at then its up to you to get the elk out. didn`t sound like much of a hunt to me. i don`t know about the other refuges but i know cookson between marble city and tenkiller dosen`t amount to much any more, the state has cut way back on food plots and restocking. i can`t remember the last time i saw a deer of any kind while driving through, hunting here is a lot better on private land.

3. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    drew into cherokee about 12 years ago. i've seen squirrels bigger than those deer. very disapointing. i did see some elk and a lot of turkeys. i don't put in for the hunts anymore just hunt on our lease. one place i would love to hunt deer on is washita in sw ok. i hear there are some monsters out there.

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    :smile2: Ain't no deer in SW Ok.

Did kill a flock of turkeys a few miles from Jerrods dads place before.

5. brian89

brian89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

My dad drew that hunt last year and i assure you that its one of the most challenging toughest hunts in oklahoma, it took them 5 hours to pack out a bull.. The guy that killed it was 3 miles from the nearest road..its pretty rough country down there..

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    You tell em Will!!! LOL!!!!:wink:

7. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    I put in for the hunts every year, been drawn a few times but never for the "good" hunts. I like to apply for out of season hunts, gives you more time in the woods with a gun. Some of the hunts are great, some I think I had better luck hitting a deer on the road on the way there. Check out wildlifedepartment.com or Outdoor Oklahoma and it will give you the results of the former year's hunts. Looking at the stats you can kinda tell which are the better hunts, by kill ratio and by the number of hunters applying. Unfortunately they kinda go hand in hand. I'm waitin for my chance at the elk hunt.

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Hallelujah, holy crap!!! I finally drew out. We put in as a group for our hunts this year, and me and 2 buddies drew out for the Wichita Mtns. Refuge buck/rifle hunt. I'm so excited I'm about to pop. The 2 biggest bucks I've ever laid eyes on, were out there on the refuge. There are some real giants there, and their buck-to-doe ratio is almost 1 to 1 there. I can't wait.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Congrats there Jerrod!! I look forward to hearing how ya do.