Oklahoma City Zoo Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Okccatman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I was browsing thru the pics on my pc and I found this one.
    It is May of 2005 at the OKC Zoo. They have a pond that they allow you to feed the ducks. Well my wife and son were feeding them and the catfish came over and were fighting the ducks for the food. I have been told it is not uncomon to see that there. Only part of the pond is on zoo property so you can fish it from outside the zoo.
    I have a friend who use to fish it often and he swears it is the best catfishing secret in the state. My wife took the pic and she says they were all good size fish and she tells me an older man there estimated them at apx 5 pounds each.
    Take a look......

David Frantz

Attached Files:

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    After looking at the full size image I don't think they were all 5#'s. But there are some pretty good size ones in there.
    David Frantz

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great pic, and im guessing the majority of the fish are 2 to 3 pounds. But i bet there are a lot of 5 pounders in the pic. But depending on the depth there might be some monsters in there from all the feeding

4. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    The wife just came in here and I showed he the pic..... wow does she have a big grin.. she loves that pic. She also say the fish were jumping out of the water taking food from the ducks mouth as they were eating it too. I wish I was there to see it with my own eyes. She also tells me of a single albino catfish in there...hmm... interesting.
    David Frantz

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    David, it sounds like a fishing trip for you and the wife this afternoon. Head out there and get your woman some dinner!!!

6. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Disneyland out here in Calif had some pretty good sized catfish in the jungle boat cruise ; they took them outta there a while back and there were some pretty good sized cats in there from what I heard.

7. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    Sneak in one of those Pocket Fisherman from years ago and fish on that jungle cruise.

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Wow, that looks it could be a lot of fun if you can find an access to fish it from.

-brian

9. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    theres a little amusement park around here with a big lake and its loaded with catfish like that and large carp, just sucks because they wont let you fish it

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Actually there is plenty of access. Three sides of it are outside of the zoo and it is considered a "close to home" water. The city has a program mainly geared towards the youth and that is what the "close to home" waters are about. They also stock rainbow trout in a small lake/pond for two months here at one of the city parks.
    David Frantz

11. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    That's pretty cool dave!

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok dave - let's go! why didn't you take me there the other day instead of overholser? :sad:

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Phil, if you and Dave go, let me know how you do!

14. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Jeez, why don't y'all just go to an aquaurium to catch some fish. :p
    Anyway, I think I know where I'm going to try on Sat. :D
    Will

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    great idea will! which is your favorite aquarium to fish? :p

16. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    The Chatanooga Aquarium is great. So is the one in San Francisco.
    :D
    Will

17. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Just looked at the regs for Zoo Lake, and here it is;

But looking at an overhead pic of the lake, the ne corner looks like it might be the best spot.
    Will

18. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Phil, I didn't even think of fishing there. Sorry buddy. Next time you come to town we can hit that spot.
    David Frantz

19. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With the size of those channels, it looks like they would be fun to catch on an ultralight :cool:

20. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Rocky...... I think you are absolutly right with that. And with how active they are there I bet you could catch them on a small lure.