Oklahoma Carp question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Old Bill, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Does anyone know whether or not it is legal to catch and remove Carp from OK waters? I couldn't find anything in the OK Fishing Regs about Carp.

Are Grass Carp the same old Carp that has been in OK lakes for years and years. I remember catching my first Carp at Lake Lawtonka in the late 1940's! (I was just a baby, of course!)

We were in a wooden rowboat, and had oars. Only a few rich guys had outboard motors!

I want some Grass Carp for my small pond. I can buy some tiny Grass Carp from Dunn's fish Farm, but I'd like to have a few large Carp.

2. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The grass carp is not as abundant as the common carp that most people catch...The grass carp is longer and slender..

Carp will destroy a lot of crappi bass and other fish habitat ...They eat mussles- That are actually good filters for a pond-- I have heard that the carp will stir up the bottom a lot and keep it muddy...

I put some in a pond where i am at (about 20--at 2-4lbs) the pond died 3 years ago during the drought...Due to the moss the oxygen content was at 3 percent at 2 feet below the surface ..
    95 percent of the fish died....That is why i added carp ,,'CAUSE IT CAN'T GET ANY WORSE THAN THAT

I restocked with the carp i caught along with many other fish ..channel --crappi --perch--and 2 gars....

not as much moss now but we have had 2 good years for water..and all the fish seem to be thriving

I would try sheetrock....before carp...you can pick up a bunch of free on job sites...
    The pretiest pond we ever had is near MOORE and probably had a truck load of rock put in it ....

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks swampratt for the information!

What does the sheetrock do in a pond?

A next door neighbor of mine bought 4 large grass carp years ago. One day his pond overflowed and two of the carp ended up in my pond. It was great fun watching the very large carp twist and turn eating the moss and vegetation! A year or so later they disappeared so i guess they ended up downstream somewhere.

My pond also dried up two or three years ago, so that is why I'm restocking it now.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ole Bill-Grass carp are different from the carp that you are referencing. A carp can be removed from Okla waters if caught. The stock rate that is currently being recommended by ODWC biologists for grass carp is 2-3/surface acre depending on the severity of the weed problem. In addition some aquatic vegetation is NOT eaten by grass carp. You need to have the weed identified first. The recommended size for the grass carp that are to be stocked is approx 12" anything smaller could be eaten by a largemouth. I will not purchase anything from Dunn's because I and several friends were burned by Dunn's and I have heard of other people that were not treated fairly either. SWAMPRATT- The oxygen content of water is not measured in percent but parts per million. 3 parts per million of oxygen will stress fish but not necessarily kill them. The weeds in the water did not rob your pond of oxygen causing a fish kill. Your pond died in probably mid to late August when the wind was calm and the weather was cloudy for a few days. The lack of wind caused a reduction in the oxygen transfer into the water and the micro-organisms in the water consumed the available oxygen during the night prior to the fish kill resulting in a die off at daylight. The algae in the pond produces O2 during the day thru photosynthesis and consumes O2 during th night. The fish AND micro-organisms use it too. So no wind and no sunlight to promote photosynthesis for several days plus high water temps, which retains little O2,and suddenly the O2 crashes and BINGO the fish die.
    I dealt with several fish kill incidence 2 summers ago and the conditions were all the same as described. The state experienced a fish kill this summer for the same reasons and several hundred carp, buffaloe, and some large flatheads died in a matter of 3 days at Great Salt Plains Lake.
    I hope I have cleared up some misconceptions.

catman george

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I may add that George is speaking of what he knows, as that is his occupation.

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Catfish George, thanks for the information!

Do you know where I might buy grass carp that are 12-inches long?

I don't have any bass in my pond at this time, but i do have some snapping turtles!

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill- check your PM from me on the 12" grass carp. As far as your bass situation in the pond. I would suggest that you start by catching 15-20 bluegill this fall and stock them in your pond. They will spawn next summer and virtually explode in population. This is a good thing. Stock some bass NEXT fall, maybe a dozen. Do not stock crappie. The bass will have plenty to eat by fall and will explode the following Spring. I would suggest 3 grass carp/ surface acre if the weed problem is bad.
    Regarding t

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dang fingers got in the way again!

Regarding the snapping turtles. If they are indeed snappers be certain they are not alligator snappers which are federally protected. They have ridges on their shell. They probably are red eared turtles typically found in pet stores. They are good for the pond. I doubt you will notice any fish loss with their presence.
    catman George

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    This morning I put six Grass Carp in my pond! After much pondering I took the easy way and bought them from the Dunns fish truck at Norman, OK. I didn't want to drive any great distance to buy them with gasoline costing what it does!

They were 6" to 12" in size. They were supposed to be 8" to 10" so I guess they averaged out OK.

Six is no doubt an overkill for my 1-acre pond...but, the water plants and alga is very bad! Hopefully, I'll have 3 or 4 carp left for next summer.