Okie Noodlin

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Bill D Curtis, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Well it's that time again I know it aggravates alot of people but the Okie noodlin contest is this Sat. July 12 in Pauls Valley OK lots of good food music people and fun and buy the way you might just get to see a big flathead weigh in is at 7 pm come on down and meet some of us crazy noodlers you might be suprised just how much respect we all have for the fish and our sport:big_smile:

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i wish i could. gas is to high and me and the OK's finest police officer may wind up having it out lmao.:smile2:

get some pics if ya get a chance. if it offends some so be it. closed minds are not to my worrys.:wink:

have a good time.

3. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I went to the Noodling tournament last year. I don't know if it was because of when I showed up or what, but you didn't get to see the fish being weighed in. The only time I could see them is when the guys pulled up in their trucks and then I had to fight my way through a crowd of people to catch a glimpse of the fish. Is this the way it's always done or are they normally brought onto a main stage and weighed so everyone can witness? Personally, I drove down to see some big catfish not a carnival of attractions.

4. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    The fish are weighted in when you get there to keep maximum weight, then kept in holding tanks were people can look at, play with, and take pictures. The at 7 pm (final weigh in) the fish are brought on stage for the awards presentation.

5. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

It just seemed to be tough to get a good look at the fish that were being brought in. I'm not even sure where they weighed them at. I think inside the restaurant, or maybe behind it. I would have liked to seen them being weighed. Other than that it was a good event, and the beer was cold.
    :big_smile:

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Hey Bill are you going down there to watch or will you be participating? Iffn you are the best of luck to you...hope you win first place. Let us know how it goes. I like to know the top place finishes in lbs for a three fish noodling limit.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Do any of you okie Members know Lee McFarland?

8. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    yes Lee and I and his cousin Mark are teamed this year they are coming up today we're gonna fish my river tonight and in the morning leave from here with fish I hope we been catching fish every day for a week

9. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Good luck Bill. Hope you Lee and Mark kick butt out there. We are thinking about heading out there next year to compete. We've had some smaller tournys out here on the east coast. Have fun and be safe brother.

Todd

10. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeremy, some of us may be able to overlook someone trying to get to an outdoor related event as long as they are not endangering anyone and can keep the attitude to a minimum.

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    OK there Mr. Bill....how did ya do down in Pauls Valley?

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    man wish i could come down there. maybe next summer when i go spend some time with my uncle in hydro i might beable to go with yall.

13. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    We placed 4th out of the money we took three fish totaling 134.6lbs winning stringer was 173.4 by some fellows named Blivens Ithink they live in Walters my daughter got crowned 2008 okie noodlin queen overall had a great time and we'll getum next year:wink:

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL Same here Jeremy. Sheila's folks are moving to Tulsa. I don't know if I can go visit once they get moved. I don't know how close it is to Meeker. :crazy::smile2:

Bill, that is still a heck of a stringer. Too bad no $$$. :sad2:

15. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i tried to noodle once didnt get anything though. it was a absolute ball gettin in the river digging around all those trees and stuff, kind of a scary rush as you dont know what will be under there . gl with the contest.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    not me lol. to many turtles. ill stick to banklines.:wink:

kat-in-hat. i wouldnt worry to much about meekers finest. bet most of his gear came from cracker jack.

17. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Jedis do not get skeered! :tounge_out: If a catfish is in a hole, the bottom will be sandy, smooth, and clean. Not sayin' that you wouldn't or couldn't encounter another critter besides a fish. Just sayin' that it isn't all that likely. I've told this story several times, but I got injured noodling once. I stuck my hand under what I thought was a mossy rock. Turned out to be a rusty wter heater. The fish clamped down hard on my hand, and I wasn't expecting it. I attempted to grab the fish 3 times to no avail. The last time he bit me, I yanked my hand out, and in the process I cut several deep lacerations in my hand from the jagged edges of the water heater. The fish had mangled my fingers too. They were all swollen, and bruised, and mostly without skin. :crazy: That was the first, and last time I went noodling. Have fun with it if it is your thing.

18. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

If it wasn't for noodling, I wouldn't have any flatheads in my freezer, it's the only way I can catch them consistently, and noodling is a lot more exciting than any other type of fishing I can think of. Even though you can't keep them in OK. there's nothing like the bite that a big 'ol humpback blue can deliver, it's really a rush. That lower lip of a flathead is pretty much a built in handle for a noodler.
    :smile2:

19. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    That's what I suspect got ahold of me. Maybe a 30 pounder. Don't know, never saw it. If it was a channelcat, it was huge. I will lip a big flathead. I won't lip a big Blue. I know they can bite hard. I guess that makes me a wuss. :embarassed: It's illegal to noodle here. I was young and dumb when I did it. I guess I learned my lesson.