The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all y'all catfishermen and women! So a little bit about me, my name is George Patterson and I mainly fish OKC waters such as Lake Overholser (my go-to spot just about every time I go fishing), Lake Hefner, Lake Arcadia, and various little ponds. My dad taught me how to fish for bluegills at the Lake Hefner dock and after that, it's all been learning a little from YouTube and a ton of information from local fishermen. My dad isn't that big into fishing, he always works so I don't blame him. My mom loves fishing and I helped get her back into fishing by asking almost every other day "Can we go fishing? The big fat fish is waiting for me!", My youngest brother is 5 years old and he absolutely LOVES fishing. Some times as soon as he wakes up and he starts eating breakfast he asks if we could go fishing. Right now I'm 18 years old and about to start college in the fall. Thank the Lord the college I am attending is close and I am so gracious and thankful that I have received a full-tuition scholarship that includes one year of room and board and a special class that plans out community leadership projects and whatnot. With that said I have a lot more free time for fishing now. I am strictly bank fishing as of current time, although I really really wish I had a boat or a kayak to reach those less pressured spots. I'm so glad I found this page as I have just recently caught the catfish fever, within the past year I think. I have learned so much from this page as well.

Now with interesting things, fishing... My best luck has been at Lake Overholser where I caught my PB flathead of something like 12/13 lbs on a balloon using frozen shad. From that lake if you don't have a boat or kayak, you're better off using a balloon to carry your bait out. I just recently purchased an Okuma Classic Pro XP reel (something like that) with 25lb mono line, I'm looking around for some really cheap but good braid that way I can put a TON of line on it. I tend to fish the dock or below the dam for catfish, crappie, carp, wipers and sometimes largemouth bass. I like catching catfish, they taste good too! I don't have much more time to add more but I'll try and add more information later. I hope to learn a ton more and to possibly even meet some of y'all around the OKC area! Tight lines and catch the big fat fishy!!!

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,069 Posts
Welcome George. A good budget braid is the Kast King Super power. A lot of people here use it. I also have the Okuma Pro XP reel. It has been flawless and the drag is smooth as butter. Good budget reel.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
112 Posts
Hello, George. I’m pretty new to this forum and just found your post.
Like you, my grandsons and I fish Overholser, mostly from the dock. When I go out by myself, I fish the South bank.
We are planning to try Hefner this Saturday, though.

Edit: well, we went to Hefner. Didn’t even get a good nibble. The boys left early. So I went to Overholser. Caught nothing there either.

The boys get bored if they’re not catching fish and it’s been a bit slow at Overholser.
Might see you at one or the other, probably on weekends, since school has started for you younger folks;.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello George. I live around the Muskogee area and fish mostly Arkansas river and Eufaula lake. I love to go chasing them cat's. Maybe sometime I can get up that way and do some fishing with you.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
112 Posts
Well, it’s Tuesday night 2330; 10/6. I’m sitting here on the South bank of Overholser
Got three lines in the water. That’s about all I can say. Haven’t got even a nibble from anything since I got back out here at 7pm from taking my youngest grandson home.
He caught a small blue cat from the dock at about 5 pm.
The weather is fine. And I am determined to stay right here until I catch something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts