okay?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jul 12, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    is there any prefered type of hook to use for bluegills.....

i have # 12 trebles but they look way to big for them....

looking to have some gills on the grill when we go camping next week.... mabe some catfish too...... well be fishing in waters around 6- 7 ft deep in a cove....

a diagram of a float rig / bluegll rig would be much apriciated:smile2:

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I look forward to your posts Leroy. The bream hook of choice down this way is a small j hook I don't know anything about sizes though. Really depends on your bait like anything else. I use the blue steel looking ones mostly. Have not had too much luck with the gold ones. I tightline La pinks on the bottom, some use red wigglers. Crickets or wax worms if they are on the bed, but a piece of night crawler will work, just tap the line a bit when its tight. Good luck. Save one for Mr. Flattie and let us know how you do.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Small J hook with a long shank as identified above, so they cant swallow your hook. I have more luck casting out with a split shot on no float, depends on what location your fishing.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    leroy. check out this thread.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86255

ive landed over 200 in 3 trips.

130 in freezor.

i use small j hooks in the size 5-6 range or size 6 circles.

my rig. well here it is.

splash attracts them. the falling worm is un resistable. i even used minnow heads first trip after worms ran out.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i found some hooks at kmart a while ago and ill pick them up before i go camping......

ill have to get some worms before we go too:tounge_out:..i cant just pull them out of the ground over here in ARIZONA:crazy::crazy::crazy:

any other baits that will work good????

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

thats the rig i was going to try first:wink::wink::wink: much apriciated

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya in az better buy them.

gilles are as much a predator as flatheads. i put 2 in my fish tank mon after i got home. and i have a 10" peruvian shovelnose catfish. i bought 2 dozen minnows yesterday at the pet shop + 4 1 1/2" goldfish. i put then in. last night when i went in at midnoght there was 2 goldfish and 4 minnows. today they were gone.

small minnows will work. also bugs. crickets, grasshoppers, wax worms. if its small. theyll prob eat it. in a pinch canned corn with one kernel on a tiny hook is deadly too.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I WAS GOING TO USE THAT SAME EXACT THING!!!!!!!!!

maby ill catch a carp too.....IT WILL BECOME CUT BAIT :smile2:

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like using the really small circle hooks,you almost cant miss them with those.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    a small j hook will do the trick, nothing fancy here brother

11. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Hi, what is a La pink, I keep hearing about them but I can't find any info.

12. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Louisiana Pink worms. They are a lively critter that holds up very well in the water. Thick skins hold them to the hook good. Check the cup and make sure they are about 3-4 inches long, fat and juicy. If they are closer to 4 you should thread them several times on the hook or break them in half. Check there energy level too. If you find them and use them, keep the top on it so they do not dry out, or crawl away. They are industrious to say the least.:big_smile:

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thanks for all the posts guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kinda makes me wanna start fishing for bluegill:cool2:

the i cant drive 55 post made me wanna have some gill patties :tounge_out:

if it tugs a pole its a good catch :wink:

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use the same rig as jeremy with a small circle hook and a piece of crawler, meal worm, grasshopper. Sometimes I use my fly rod with a small dry fly "nymph" or a small popper. I wish there was such thing as a 10 pound gill, that would be a fight.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Leroy,I also use the same rig,I have found some size # 10 kahles ,just waiting to try em. as for bait. All the ones mentioned are great,I'd like to add one more crawdads,either very small ones under 1" fished live by hooking through the last segment of the tail,or just peel the tails of the larger ones,and use small pieces of it.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The ONLY time I use treble hooks for flat fish would be in the case of using one behind a spinner bait. If I am seriously bream fishin', for larger bream, with live bait such as crickets, earthworms, or wax worms, I use the gold crappie style J hooks on a 10 foot bream buster pole. If I am bait fishin', I use the smaller "wire" type J hooks. Once again, all my bream fishin' is with a bream buster pole. I rarely use a rod and reel with a cork, unless it is absolutely necessary to reach an area not accessible by pole. See attached pic.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

18. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

you are talking about the sticks that have a small length of line on it right?????no reel???? just a small pole.......ive seen people use those

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'm with Shane on this one except I'll use a small round bobber and fish until I find the depth that their at. One pond I go to I can catch 4-6 dozen in under 2 hours that way. Small piece of night crawler, wax worm, piece of corn or even a small white curly tail jig is deadly where I get them.:wink::big_smile:
    Good Luck to you!!!:wink::cool2:

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The "small sticks" you refer to are telescoping fiberglass sections. They come in 9, 10 11, and 12 foot lengths when extended. You can get 'em at most any Wal-Mart or fishing tackle shop. I used to fish with a slender cane pole before the bream buster poles came out. I like the 10 foot ones because they are much lighter and easier to manage than the heavier 11 and 12 foot poles. I always have my line just slightly longer than the pole. With a 10 foot pole and 11 foot of line you can get out 20 feet or so from the boat. Keep in mind I am fishing ponds out of a boat we paddle around in. With these poles, you can get next to overhanging bushes on the bank and slingshot the bait under the limbs. Nothing like a pound and a half bream on a bream buster pole, making the line sing. I also use the bream buster pole with poppin' bugs in summer and late summer. Pole fishing is NOTHING like rod and reel fishing. It is a ton of fun though.
    Bill in SC