Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Okay, what is next

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  shotgunner 
#1 ·
I am just getting started in reloading and am definitely confused. I purchase a Lee Turret Press (still in the mail), dies for the hand guns I want to reload for, primers, bullets and new cases. But I no idea as to what powder I need. I was quite shocked to learn there is powder for rifles, handguns and shotguns. Do they have a "one size fits all" in powder? I intend to rel0ad .41 Magnum and .357 Magnum. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what powder I need for basic plinking and self defense?

#2 ·
Personally I like Accurate powers and there is no one powders does it all......some come close but no cigar..LOL. Accurate has four pistol powders #2, #5 #7 and #9 with #2 having the fastest burn rate. I load .357 and .44 mag using #9 which is the slowest burning and it works well for both. I use #5 for .38 spl and 9mm. All the Accurate powders meter extremely well so you get good Consistency when loading. As a matter of fact I was just sitting here in my shop today working up some 9mm +p loads using #5 when I saw your post. I'm sure others have their favorites because there are a lot of different types of powder out there I've tried most of them but not all.

#5 ·
Surely need to get a few good reloading manuals, I'm not much help at pistol reloading, do a little rifle reloading. There are books that will help alot and plenty of reloading manuals out there to help you with the charges you will need for certain bullets, including case length and seating depth which are really important.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Make sure ya got case lube unless you got carbide dies. Digital caliper, scales, case prep tools all kinds of small stuff like that. Ive use Accu 9 for my 44 mag before but I cant always find the exact powder when I want so I end up trying different ones. Just read the container and itll tell ya. I end up using mostly the lee dippers for powder measure. For me I like a load that is over half full of the cartridge to prevent a double charge, especially when starting out. Take your time and read that Lee book if ya got it. Welcome to reloading, your gonna love it.

#8 ·
Make sure ya got case lube unless you got carbide dies. Digital caliper, scales, case prep tools all kinds of small stuff like that. Ive use Accu 9 for my 44 mag before but I cant always find the exact powder when I want so I end up trying different ones. Just read the container and itll tell ya. I end up using mostly the lee dippers for powder measure. For me I like a load that is over half full of the cartridge to prevent a double charge, especially when starting out. Take your time and read that Lee book if ya got it. Welcome to reloading, your gonna love it.

No doubt some powders are hard to find right now, I just bite the proverbial bullet and get it in large quantities when I can find it. I just got 16 lbs of 2460, 4 lbs of #5 and 3 lbs 0f #9 last week. Kinda' hard on the pocket book when you buy that much but it's better than not having it.......LOL

#10 ·
Well I did a lil inventory of my reloading supplies to see what I use before I went to cabelas. Only got my licenses though.

Accurate 9 is good stuff, can be used in many calibers small and magnum, andy may know if its okay for self defense rounds. Win 296 for MAGNUM loads, just guessing good for self defense. Unique alliant all pistol and shotguns, plinking. Titegroup for plinking in smaller calibers, 9mm n such. I dont shoot enough to really tell a difference, they all go bang and hit where I want em too. But dont take anyones word for, double check to stay safe. My memory aint what it used to be.

#12 ·
If your using the lee priming tray in the kit, check your lee reloading book, they recommend cci and winchester primers only using their specific reloading tray, may have changed and may be different depending on what primer tool used... Went round n round with a guy at cabelas about it so I didnt buy any primers. Yea its great he has a rcbs but he never heard I was asking about lee priming trays, even after saying it for the fifth time. My fault for not going prepared.

#14 ·
With out a doubt get some reloading manuals and follow the instructions for primer, charge and bullet weight.
X2
If you load pistol and rifle, store each powder in a different place. Some folks store them in separate storage boxes and never open one until the other is put away. The quickest way to blow up a rifle is to load a rifle round with handgun powder. Reloading isn't hard but steps must be followed to insure safety. You always need to start with a very light load and know how to look for signs of pressure or case fatigue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.