Okay, summertime bluecat question.

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by jlingle, Aug 6, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Have you guys ever noticed if blues tend to hang out around shaded areas during the summer? I know they don't care much for the hotter water in the summertime, but I was wondering if there were bait in a shady area (say on the side of a mountain or cliff) do you reckon this would be a prefered location for them during the summer?

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know if it would make that much of a difference in fifty feet of water, at least that is what I would be fishing in this heat deep cool structure.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Bluecats will be where the bait is, for the most part.

Bait will be where the plankton is, for the most part.

Plankton will be where the wind blows them, for the most part.

Big fish eat small fish. Think like a small fish.

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i wouldnt think it matters much.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    For the most part T is right.:smile2:The last factor that has to be considered is Oxygen.They will be where the bait is in relation to structure that has sufficient O in a temp range they can tolerate.At Santee that is usually about 18-22 ft for the most part (Sorry T).Pretty much same thing in rivers.Where all the factors come together is generally where they will be.Not to say they wont make forays out of their comfort zone for a choice bait situation.Of course we have always heard that bass and panfish orient around shade but I'm not sure that is temp related or simply a predator hiding out or reluctance to look directly into sun shine.:big_smile:

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Cool. Thanks for all your replies.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You know the strange thing is.... I have caught blues in a couple feet of water in mid winter all the way to dog day's of summer. Don't worry about shade just fish where the food is. Them blue cats will hang below the food and let white bass and other predators tear them up and they will come along and eat the ones that sink to the bottom.

8. cj7848

cj7848 New Member

State:
    texas
    I like to try the deeper holes, especially where there is a good current running into it. Cast out and let it drift in.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Marty on this one. Just follow the food chain.

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Absolutely, last summer I fished cliffs and high walls in the shade at Watts Bar and the Hiwassee River in Tennessee. We caught several blues about 3 feet off the bottom in 35-50 foot holes. All were over 15 pounds.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    (Observations on blues in the Arkansas River) I think that the blues will also relate to structure, whether they're up against it, or far away from it. And in the summer, blues seem to form schools and roam upper and mid level waters. But they roam while still relating to structure---a deep channel, rocky bluff or dyke, flat near deeper water, etc. But they may be anywhere in the water column, from the bottom to close to the surface. I've caught blues roaming within a few feet of the surface when the sun was so hot I'd have to pour water on the aluminum bench seat before I could slide over to the other side---and it would steam when it hit the seat. But the next day, at the same spot, they might be holding close to the bottom.