Okay, stupid question

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by verrykerry, Oct 13, 2009.

1. verrykerry

verrykerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    I grew up fishing channel cats, nothing extreme, lakes and small rivers. A 5-6lb fish was a goodun' for us. Anyhow, my dad just skinned em alive and broke off the heads and cleaned the innards. That's how I was shown and that's how I've always done it.

A couple of weeks ago I was skinning a bunch of 8-10 pounders and one of the fish was really struggling like he felt it and it hurt. Kind of made me feel bad. I didn't think they really experienced pain in the same sense we do I guess. So I guess the question is do you in some way kill your catch before you go to whittlin' on it and if you do how do you go about it?

Deep thoughts by Jack Handy :sad2:

Kerry

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I release all my catfish, I would not think of eating one.

But if I did, I would dispatch the fish first with a rap on the head.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I've tried the rap on the head. I beat the fish in the head with a hammer 5 or 6 times and he was still squirming around. It dont work IMHO. I usually just keep them on ice for a few hours. By the time i get home and clean up all my stuff, the boat, etc, its been a few hours. They go numb, and stop moving. I'm really not worried about whether the fish can feel what i'm doing when cleaning them, i make sure they aren't moving because its easier to clean them that way, and less chance for me to get cut with my knife or poked by its fins. If it makes you feel bad, drive a nail thru his brain, he wont feel nothing else.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    im all for eatin animals..maybe a lil cruel to skin em floppin but im a growin boy

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Save yourself alot of headaches and learn to fillet those fish.I don't think fish actually feel pain the same as you and me,but hitting nerves and such will make them squirm and flop.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Kerry, I believe you posted a question that I am sure everyone has wondered about...no matter if they admit it. Hmm, makes you wonder. Well, anyway, I love eatin fried catfish and I will bring home the pan size ones and filet them. Sometimes they wiggle and sometimes they don't. I don't knock em in the head or anything, I just filet them. I don't think that they are in pain like you may think. :cool2:

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I cut the tail off and let them bleed out.

8. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have gotten to where I like to just lightly freeze them 1st. No blood to deal with at all. I also think that is makes them easier to fillet. Just a thought.

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i agree with robert i dont think they feel pain the same as we do.i believe its mostly nerves,i've cleaned fish i know had been dead for awhile fillet them take them in the house to wash off,when the water hits them the meat start jerking sometimes so bad it looks like its alive.they sure aint feeling it when the grease hits'em.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I used to skin them also,, but, got introduced to an electric fillet knife,,,Life is Good:big_smile:

I've knocked them in the head,, they may or may not quiver and shake,, but, they're dead.
    and, I don't have all day to counsel, or bleed them..as most cleaning is done on or at the water. Then throw on ice.

Sometime, we throw the whole fish on ice, and if they're not dead,, they're still...for cleaning.

At home,,After they're butchered,, we trim everything away that is not white meat,, then throw into a container of salty ice water, and it pulls out any remaining blood, etc. Then freeze if we don't eat them right then.

11. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    The ones I keep are put in the ice chest. By the time I get around to clean them they are dead.There nothing stupid about trying to find a more humane way

12. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    I take a piece of metal pipe or and whack them good right across the top of the head. Very rarely does one twitch after that. Then they are hung up and the tail is cut off to allow them to bleed. It's important to bleed the fish out. It's not as crucial as it is with a deer or livestock, but it will make a difference in overall quality of the meat. It's hard to bleed a fish, if not impossible, once they are dead or have been frozen. You may or may not taste a difference, but I prefer to clean my fish when they are still sassy and mean.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually just throw em in a cooler with ice. I hope this is not cruel to them. They kick for a minute or two then they quit.

14. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am a big fan of clonking them on the head till they do not move. Its just easier for me to clean them.

Smaller fish I like to clean as you said but the bigger ones I like to fillet out.

15. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Even the roughest toughest redneck, river rat has a heart!:wink:
    If ya care for one living thing on this earth human or animals ya tend to think about things like this. This is NEVER a stupid ? In my book.
    Raysplay allways puts them on ice. Now this is just my opinion, coming so beware..... But I believe the ice is kind of like a quick death and they like some of the others say go numb before they pass. Might not have a bit of proof to back it up but that is how i feel. I think anything that is an animal feels to a point. To what point we will never really know but to some point. So your question was a good one!

16. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to agree that worrying about such a thing isn't stupid at all. It's humane and respectful. I wouldn't skin one of my rabbits alive during butcher time and I won't do it do a catfish without dispatching it first-or at least knocking it unconscious. Same goes for any animal.

I hit them on the head with a hammer until they stop flexing their gills for a few minutes, the first hit looks like it knocks em out and they twitch all over. Can take one..to three or four hits.

17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i can't imagine anything with a brain not feeling pain, but who knows. anyway, i cut the tails off too and bleed them out before filleting them.

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i believe they do feel pain to an extent. they actually did a study on whitetail deer not long ago and concluded that deer have very similar emotions and senses as we do when it comes to hot cold happy sad mad and yes pain. and they said that a deer feels pain just like we do. and who would have thought that? so yeah i think fish do feel pain, but i have no clue to what extent.so i always let mine sit on the bottom of the boat for a few minutes to start to suffocate them and then i toss them on ice to shock them. cuz i try to make their death as quick as possible......and what i said earlier about deer....makes ya think next time u think about taking a bad shot at the deer just cuz of his size......:cool2:

19. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i CPR most every fish i catch, however when i was younger i used to keep some, and every now and then i will keep a few for dinner that night if they are eater sized (in all honesty the only fish i keep any more is usually stocked trout), but if you are like me i always kept mine in a basket or on a stringer. if you will in the last 10-20 minutes you are fishing will take your knife and make one cut all the way through one side of the there gills under the gill plate, they will bleed out and die in minutes. kinda like a lung shot on a deer. it allows you to keep your fish alive as long as needed, then you can dispatch them in a safe, human way. personally i dont think they feel pain, but i do and cleaning a live fish can cause me pain so i like them good and dead, usually on ice. just the way i was taught.

best of luck, and only keep what you will eat and that way the rest of us can enjoy the resource also.

20. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    As far as fish feeling pain i have to agree with the following article that i have posted at the bottom. In my opinion, fish do feel the sensation of what we consider to be pain, but lack the neurological capacity to understand it as pain. in simpler terms, they feel the pressure, but dont know that it hurts they just know it isn't natural. they lack the brain size and capacity to acknowledge pain as pain.

the following is the article i found, and i could find more to support my theory, but i dont really care enough to look to far.

http://www.slate.com/id/2219276/