Okay, stormin' Mt. Storm again...

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jeremiad, Aug 22, 2008.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My annual pilgrimage to Davis area has been delayed until October.

I prefer fishing Mt. Storm for catfish simply because WV doesn't impose any creel or possession limit on the catfish there! They're quite small, but they are clean fish, and are great for cooking.

Does anyone have experience fishing Mt. Storm in October? Is the weather as unpredictable then as it is during the summer months?

Thanks!

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The weather in Oct should be dry and hot mid-day but cool and crisp in the mornings and evenings.Be ready for weather extremesregarding temp,but the rain storms and such arnt usually a problem unless a big Hurricane comes up the coast and dumps on us.

Also there has been a advisory put out this year due to some fish having elevated mercury.

3. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

State:
    W.va
    dang i didnt know you did the weather too LOL

4. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    MT. Storm fishing will still be good in October. The main part of the lake will still be warm and the back parts are a litte cooler. The mornings may be a little crisp with a light breeze. Thin out some of those channels and maybe they can grow some. I live with in an hour from there so I`ve fished it a few times. Hope this helps some.

5. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    That's a shame! :angry:

I actually thought that Mt. Storm would be a fairly clean lake, being so elevated and remote, except for the power plant. Do you happen to know why? Would it be strip mining tailings?

I've heard that mining tailings seeping into the Blackwater River pretty much created an environmental disaster there. Based on the size of a huge trout I saw in the river last year (at the end of Camp 40 Road at that!), the river must be improving. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my fly rod!

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Supposedly toxins from the discharge at the power plant.

I honestly beleive our DNR jumps to extreme conclussions about things like this.

As you state the lake is extremely clean and remote and I personaly wouldnt mind eating a bunch of fish from there,I eat small meals from the Kanawha River.

I figure what the heck I breathe in Duponts pollution + coal dust and who knows what else on a daily basis a couple meals of fish wont hurt me no worse.

7. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    :big_smile:

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Something is gonna kill us one way or another ! Did the advisory say not to eat ANY fish ?

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    No it was just a limited consumption advisory something like a couple lbs a month or so.