Okay, going to give crappie a try

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by boswifedeb, Dec 20, 2009.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Hi, guys! I decided to quit lurking over here in the crappie section and post. I've been poring over the posts in here and have learned quite a bit. I've caught a few crappie, usually when I fish during the day it's for bluegill or other baitfish and I catfish at night. Now, here is my question: do y'all do most of your crappie fishing during the day or at night?

By the way, all of the crappie that I've caught were interested in the nightcrawler that was on the hook. I very rarely use lures anymore. But I think there may be a few crappie lures purchased in the new year.:wink:

Thanks for all the good info, looking forward to more!

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Winter spring and fall mostly thru the day even though night fishing can be productive spring and fall. Never tried night in the winter. Summer or hotter weather normall early morning or late evening and mostly night time. Usually skip the hot part of the day.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Debbie crappie fishing can become addictive real quick. I like fishing for them in the day. If they want night-crawlers the give them what they want. I like to use jigs, I either use the 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig heads, I use a variety of colors but my number one favorite is pink, or a combination of pink. Give it a try and give us a review of your thoughts.

4. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks guys. So now I have something else to fish for during the day!:big_smile: Just what I need, another excuse to go fishing. :wink:

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When the live minnow bite is slow it never hurts to have some crappie jigs with the black/green tubes in the tackle box. :wink:

6. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nutting like pulling up to a brush pile and dropping anchor, dropping a couple minnows under bobbers over the side and kicking back with a hot cup of coffee. Especially in spring on a warm sunny morning when Dogwoods and Red Buds are in bloom. I have got a lot of good hours sleep while fishing for Crappie. But I have also stole a few naps on the Cat and Walleye trips. :smile2:

7. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I don't know about your area but you want to load up on crappie check out spider rigging. Those pre spawn crappie are there to be had. I took screaminreels out last year he is way past hooked on that to the point he wants MY boat setup for him. :smile2: We can pretty much catch and vacuum pack enough filets to last a year on a few outings, then back to catchin cats. I believe CrappieUSA has a site that can give you some good pointers.

8. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks Daniel. I'll check it out.

9. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I fish at nite out here in kansas, we have several encosed docks (some are heated) that I can go to, we use the floating lights in the water to attract them, sometimes we get them and sometimes we don't thats crappie fishing

10. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Y'all are just full of good ideas!