Okay everyone........Power Pro Line: Pro & Con

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 10, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    AFTER READING THE COUNTLESS POSTS ABOUT PP I WOULD LIKE TO FINALLY KNOW ALL THE PROS AND CONS OF PP BECASUE I WANT TO PUT SOME ON MY BIG GAME POLES:wink:

SO LETS HERE IT ALL.......POWER PRO!!!!!!!

2. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I'm Totally for Power Pro. Expecially because Bill in SC Told me so.:wink:
    It lays great on the spool I think it's because it is rounder than other braids.Works great on spinng and baitcasters.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    The only bad is the cost compared to mono. But if you like great line,it's well worth it. There is one other bad thing. If you ever hook a submerged limb,tire,trotline,or dead body,it's coming up with it. It's really hard to break,which is good in most cases. As for braids,Power Pro is my choice.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hate it, it does not have the abrasion resistance that mono has, I also like the stretch of mono, power pro has no stretch.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use 100 lb. power pro on my tournament reels and really like it. I started out using 65 lb. and liked it as well. I always use 50 to 80 lb. mono for leaders. I use the mono leaders for abrasion resistance and for a breaking point when I get hung up.

Pro's - It has 0 memory
    It has excellent breaking strength
    It has no stretch and will set the hook right now,so it works well with circle hooks,kahles or trebble hooks.
    The smaller diamater allows for more line capacity on the reel
    It has great casting ability
    It ties strong knots (never had a palomar knot fail with this line)

Pro/Con - The price at first is higher than mono but it will outlast mono 3 to 1 so in the long run it is just as cheap or cheaper.

Con's - Even though it has excellent breaking strength it is not abrasion resistant and will cut real easy.
    Since it has excellent breaking strength you will need a wooden ball bat or something similar to wrap it around to break it. Do not wrap it around your reel or your hand, it will cut your hands or damage your reels.
    If you fish in heavy current this line will sing a lot louder than mono.

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    everything that has been said so far ,plus, it has super sensitivity and the thin diameter fits heavy current great ............. i can feel the bottom in 16 oz current and bump bump the rod and feel the wt. settled ............. mono doesn't do that for me .................
    the smaller diameter of the line makes it less resistant to the heavy current , therefore i can get by with smaller sized wts. than with mono ................

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    One more good thing. If you're using spinning reels,it casts like crazy. I have 150 yards on one of my spinning setups. It has mono backing first. With 4 oz. of lead,I can cast all the power pro off and a few yards of the backing. This makes it great when bankfishing. With mono,it developed memory therefore limiting my casts to about 75 yards.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THE STRETCH OF MONO THAT PLAYS A KEY IN THE LIGHT TACKLE SPIRIT THAT I HAVE

I DONT KNOW IF I WANT TO CHANGE QUITE YET!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused2:

STILL WONDERING :embarassed:

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Go for it. Give it a try. If you don't like it,it was a learning experience you will never forget.

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Never lost a cat to straight braiken the line, you will land the monster always a palomar with braided line others will slip. The only downfall is the cost but it last a while. I love the stuff its all I use on cat rods.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 Power Pro on my baitcasters more for peace of mind than anything. I fish in an area where #80 to #100 blues are a real possiblilty. The largest I have caught so far is #48. I just don't want #90 blue to it my reel when I have #20 mono spooled. I only bank fish and use 12' rods, so the small diameter is also important for casting distance. I use mono for leaders because I agree the abrasive quality of Power Pro is not the same as mono. If I was fishing from a boat, I may have a different opinion. Good luck.

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    cons- initial cost, has to be laid on the spool under tension, cannot over fill spinning reels, and lack of abrasion resistance a top shot of mono fixes that one though.

pros- thin diameter, no stretch, and increased casting distance.

13. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use 80#PP and I love it. I have never had my line break. Casting is great, you can put a lot on the reel because of the smaller diameter, it cast farther because of the smaller diameter, it last MUCH longer and I have never had a problem with the line cutting. If it does start to fray, just cut about a foot off the bottom and tie it back. I LOVE PowerPro!!!

14. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use 60-80lb power pro and love it. i have yet to lose a fish

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have Used it since it first came and I love it:big_smile:

16. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    I use Power Pro And I have no cons other than to break it off you need to be careful not to cut yourself. here is a video of how good this stuff is. THE LINE TEST!!! Power pro at the end showing its toughness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9mSMguMeMU

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use 80# power pro and don't have any problems, i do use 40# mono for a leader and that takes care of the line breakin from rocks, but thats all i'll use, this stuff is strong, it will break my anchor free before the line breaks, great stuff:wink:

18. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    what's the difference between power pro and spider wire?I know the spider wire was a tad cheaper are there any other major differences?

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    One of the major differences is that the SW has a coating that is designed to protect the inner fibers of the core line. These fibers are fine White threads that are basicly multi-stranded to form a stronger line togehter. While on the PP, the individual strands are first braided and then these strands are woven together to form the line strength desiered. These multiple strands are less abraisive than the mono, but much more so than SW IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You know the funny thing is that everyone here says. "Con - it does not have the abrasion resistance as mono". Using sufix for a full year on my reels. I have found that it is better then mono when it comes to abrasion resistance. Anyone that has spent the night in the boat with me knows how much of a freak Iam when it comes to re-tieing. I did not have to waste as much time doing that this past season. Now maybe it has something to do with the sand that mono disagrees with so much. Any who I got back a heck of a lot more tackle with sufix then mono. I have also heard don't know if it's true that power pro is lacking in individual strands of fiber then some of the other braids. Maybe that's the issue with PP. I'll let one of you highly motivated people count the strands and let me know if it's true.