Okatibbee MS 2-15

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Stevej, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Got out to Okatibbee for the 1st time this year and we brought home 23, tried not to keep any under 11" but had a few bleeders. Guessing we threw back 8-10 keepers. 7 to 10 FOW and no hot color, some on horse head jigs, tubes and crappie assassins. 2 males, 5 blacks and the largest was a 14" white females. Temp was 53 at 9 AM and when we left a 3 PM it was 55 degrees, water temps. Not a great day but we are very pleased with the 1st time this year.
    [​IMG]

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Looks like you had fun! How is the water level?
    Bill

3. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Still 2 feet below normal pool, hoping for some good spring rains. Last year was the pits, never did fill up. Have a lot of new vegetation that grew up in the north end which will help the lake in the long run. This is the rule curve.

http://water.sam.usace.army.mil/okatyr.jpg

4. jgoforthh

jgoforthh New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Those really are some nice specks, bet they made a samich or three.lol Looks like yall had a good day fishing. What type of poles do you ussually use long crappie rods or just light action?

5. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    I'm a spider rigger and have 4 poles out the front and my fishing partner has 3 out back. My longest are 2 11' out front and 2 10' out about 20 degrees to the side. No limit on poles in MS. I have some B&M's and some Wally Marshalls, like them both. I like the B&M's better for spider rigging and the WM for when I'm holding them in my hand, they are IM8 and a little stiffer which makes it easier to feel the bite. I use a couple of 8' WM pros for casting, they have larger guides which makes for more distance.

6. jgoforthh

jgoforthh New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive seen videos where people spider rig down Kentucky Lake but ive never tried it. I do hang my poles over the side of the boat and float through the drop offs and over cover and ussually pick em up that way i guess its kinda the same thing only different and you can cover more water with a spider rig i know i think if i ever get a bigger boat i will try that out it seems like a great way to cover some water.

7. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Yep, about the same thing just more control using the trolling motor and a front depth finder. Plus the poles are somewhat more secure in pole holders. I have photos of the lake before it was filled and have drawn out the creeks and try to follow them plus I have a lot of the stumps etc. marked on my GPS so I tend to move along slow from spot to spot and if I run across a new hot spot I mark that on my GPS and save it for the next time. There is a guy in TN that mounts a handheld TM in the side of his jon boat and side pulls with his lie off the other side and catches a lot of crappie, he is crappie guide Roger Gant. That is really more longline trolling instead of tightlining. But if you are not setup for lonlining or spider rigging drifting is great, just try to get around some drop-offs and keep some marker bouys handy to toss over when you run into fish so you can make the same drift.

8. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    only time i ever went drifting for crappie , the fellow i went with put a balloon and long mono line on the first crappie we caught and let it go ....... we fished around that balloon several hrs and caught a bunch of crappie .... i sure thought that was a neat trick ...:smile2: ... i was flathead fishing a couple yrs ago and caught a gar .... i put a balloon on it and let it go ..... damn thing made a big wide loop out in the river and came back and laid on the bottom right beside my boat ...:smile2: i reckon he had been in a boat before and wanted to go for a ride !!!!!! before i left i pulled him up and got the balloon off him ...........

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Crappie, Steve.