OK whats the easiest and cheapest catfish bait to make?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by 10IbsBass, Mar 23, 2008.

1. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    OK whats the easiest and cheapest catfish bait to make? Just curious, I would like to make some of my own bait.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Check out the BOC library. Jerry Trew has a great article in there that will be of great help.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nick,I gave up on makin catfish bait ,years ago,other than catchin a carp ,and makin cut bait from it . Hope you find a good one.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually buy some chicken breast cut it up and let it soak in Garlic

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome nice bass:big_smile:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Making a bait...maybe liver/garlic ?

Nothing is cheaper than digin up worms , catching some gills and using them for bait. Witht the prices of gas, thats what I gotta do a lot of times

Actually I have a cast net now ; ).

-Jim-

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one of the cheepest and best channel cat baits is the spleen out of a cow.most slaughter houses throw them away and will be glad to keep them for you for a few dollars.

9. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    get some beer and cornflakes mix it so its really thick. add youre blood and let sit ffor a couple days. add glycerine ( glycerine is a perservative.) then put it in some panty hose and put it on a hook and have fun.
    woerks well for carp if you dont add the blood.

10. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    umm my uncle put chicken liver in the blender and added flour until it had a doughy consistincy (sp?) and that worked pretty well. and chicken liver is only like, $1.50 :smile2:

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    excatly what richard said. catch ya a carp and cut it up for bait. me and my uncle have caught some nice flatheads on fresh cut carp. if its older cut carp all we catch is channels, but if its really fresh and bloody we will often catch flatheads on it. he got his pb 17lb flathead on cut carp.

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    One of the easiest and quickest baits I have found is to take cheap hotdogs and cut them into 1/2 inch to 1 inch chunks put them in a bowl and cover with garlic powder. Mix well. Then cover with two pkgs of unsweetened red koolaid and mix well. Let sit over nite. Go fishin.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Are you mainly wanting to catch channels? With a lot of your prepared baits, that's what you're going to mostly catch. Catching/gathering your own free bait is pretty hard to beat, regardless of whether you're after channels, blues, or flatheads. If possible, find a spot in your yard where you can pile up some leaves. Throw down some old coffee grounds and uncooked vegetable stuff, then cover it up with 6"-8" of leaves. Keep it damp enough so that when you scrape back the leaves, the top of the soil is just slightly damp. Don't have your own leaves? Watch for bags and bags of them in front of houses where they've just raked & bagged. Grasshoppers often make great bait, & you can freeze them for future use. Scrounge an old blanket, the fuzzier the better. You can make a rack to put on the front of a pickup, a smaller one for a 4-wheeler, an even smaller one for a bicycle, or just make one 3 or 4 times the size of a tennis racket. Drive or walk through a grown-up field; the legs of the hoppers get tangled in the blanket and you can pick them off. If legal, you can catch any number of different types of baitfish to use live, whole, or cut up. For many of us, a small investment in a cast net pays off big time in harvesting free bait.
    Outdated bacon or salt pork can be a good free bait, too.

14. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Take ya about three dozen minnows small shad which ever is easiest to come by. Put them in a canned food can, mashem up add flour, shredded cotton balls or cat tail fuzz keep mixing it together and you have a cheap easy punch bait. You can add anis oil to while mixing to give it a little something extra.

15. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    OK years back when the boys were little we would load up the pick-up and take off. Not a huge amount of money and we were running out of bait and the boys were not ready to go.
    DH took the trash out (Same truck) the wenesday before and I had threw out some old hotdogs that were spoiled. YES you guess it. They never made it to the garbage. I saw the rotten blown up zip lock bag full of them cheap red things and we used them as bait. Son caught his 1st big cat with those. We still to this day laugh about the rotten dog trip.