OK, what about a landing net?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA CATFISHING' started by JByrd, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JByrd

JByrd Active Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    I searched the conversations regarding landing nets and most were several years old. New products do come along and people do change their opinions of things. I am going to need one. At present I have the cheapest thing WalMart had. I am sure it would be OK fro crappie and such but need something more sturdy for the kitties. Would like to hold the price down to at least under $50. Many of the manufacturers have a good many selections in their line. What is the best bang for the buck?

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  2. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    Nets seem to be like everything else... you get what you pay for. I use a decent net because I just can't bring myself to spend the money on a high dollar one.

Size the net for the fish you could potentially catch. Nets look huge until you try and stuff a big fish into one.

I keep a $75 Ed Cummings BC-1 in my boat. It has a 30.5"x31.25" bow and a 48" deep net. I honestly need a bigger net but once again they get very expensive.

the blues likes this.

3. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    Ranger nets #985 looks to be very similar to what I'm using... They are in the $50 range.

4. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thomas, I am using an old net I have had for about 10 years I guess. I am on my third third replacement net on the original frame. The last two have been the rubberized version which I generally like.

Now I think mine is a Frabill brand which seems to be good. But the size I have is actually too small. The somewhat flat nosed hoop measures 23 from nose to handle and is 21 inches wide.

Like I mentioned I have one of the rubberized nets on it now and it has the appearance of having a flat bottom. Great for anything 35 pounds or less but when you get that big fish, it can only go in part way. His tail will generally be hanging out. I have been able to net several cats over 50 pounds but when they are not completely in I have to be careful when bringing them into the boat. I pretty much put the handle pointing up, then put my arg around the fish's tail, then grab the frame of the hoop. This sounds a lot worse than it actually is but to keep the frame and get a better net I would need to just get one of the deep ones so the cat would fir better.

Nice big nets are a lot like a good grappling anchor. They work great but don't store worth a dam. Oh well, it is what it is.

Anyway, the point of the story is you want a deep net for big fish. To me, that is more important than the diameter of the hoop.

Good luck with your search.

the blues and Fate like this.
  5. JByrd

JByrd Active Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    Looks like the 48 inch deep ones are not too expensive and the Ranger has a removable handle for better storage.

6. music4cash

music4cash Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    I just bought a Blisswill net on Amazon... works really well for the money...

7. JByrd

JByrd Active Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    The Ranger 9930 Anodized Round-Handle "Big Game" Landing Net (48-Inch Handle, 34 x 32-Inch Hoop, 48-Inch Net Depth) is plenty deep and not too expensive, $59.32. Only thing it is not rubberized but the handle can be removed entirely for storage and it is pretty sturdy.

8. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I just looked at several of the Ranger nets and they looked good. From what I read, it seems that the handle was a standard 4 ft. long and 1-1/4 inch diameter. The handles also all seemed to be able to slide into the net for easier storage. The rim varied in diameter but was made out of what they called heavy duty 5.8s" aluminum. The typical net depth was 48 inches with a couple being 36 inches deep. The dimensions of the hoop varied from:
    Ranger 25" x 25" w/36" depth - $47.19 w/ free shipping
    Ranger 9950 - 27" x 30" w/48" depth - $50.78 w/ free shipping
    Ranger 9930 - 34" x 32" w/48" depth - $59.32 w/ free shipping

And there were more. A lot of size options.

tight lines

JByrd and Fate like this.
  9. JByrd

JByrd Active Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    I like the features on the Ranger nets. It is budget oriented too. Figure I will catch a lot more smaller fish so a smaller heavy rubberized would be fine, less entanglement. For the larger fish the that would not be hooked as often, the main thing is the depth and it is rubberized according to the factory catalog. Wal mart had the Ranger R985 on roll back, 34 X 30 for $56.12 including shipping and tax so I ordered one of those, and like Amazon, it will come to my door. If you wanted to make it shallow you could put a draw string in the middle of the net for small fish and take it out for the larger. Here is the factory catalog. Oh, thanks all, it has been another learning experience. https://rangernets.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016catalog.pdf

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    twaskom likes this.