Ok-so what is the BEST big flathead line?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by GETHOOKED, May 22, 2007.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Ok so the debate about mono vs braid is hot, but what brand of each. and what IS THE BEST BIG FLATHEAD LINE around?:0a36::0a36:

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    since my post about the "line sensitive" flatties. I have changed over to Berkley Big game in 50# test. I have the same size leader. I havent used it yet, but am very excited to get out and test the results.

so 1 for Berkley Big Game 50#

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have always used 50lb braid spider line on my bigger cat poles, and 14lb big game on my smaller poles for bass fishing, both have worked realy well. But neither stand up real well in abrasive situations that is why I use a very heavy braid trotline for my leader, works great for me.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man there's a loaded question! well i use 50# power pro and stren 60# super braid. i always use a 20# or 45# big game leader too, 10 to 30 inches long.
    that 50# big game should work just fine though.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Flatheads are like cave dwellers below the surface and chances are once hooked your line will be rubbed against some sort of structure on the bottom. I would lean more to the strongest abrasive resistant lines more. Berkley Big Game is hard to beat, also have had good luck with Sufix mono line.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    over kill is best im starting to think atleast when it comes to them bigger kitties . iv always used 30# biggame but this year iv lost 2 real nice fish to it dont know what they were but they took 14" to 20" stripe bass and didnt hesitate , they were so big i couldnt lift them off bottom and ran up river . so i may be switching up to bigger line soon . im not sure how big or what brand but i may follow this thread to see what is the most used for them bigger cats

7. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The flathead in my avatar pic I caught In a very rocky place as you can tell from the pic. I had 80 # power pro braided on, I could feel the line hitting all the rocks and I figured at anytime it was gonna break and it never did. So I am pretty stuck on power pro, I have pulled in some really large fish on it and never had it break.

8. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    80# power pro, u can anchor your boat with it:wink:

9. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    That depends on the lakes your fishing. I see alot of you guys use braided line. I would like to but I can't with the lakes I fish. Thier mostly all rock evviroments. In the past I've had 60lb leaders look like 10lb after I've brought them up and looked at them. Braid would never last and I would hte lose a gaint flat because of the line giving way. Now if I was fishing alot trees and blowdowns, that would be another story.

10. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I aggree that "overkill is best" when choosing a catfish line. Because catfish are not line shy, I prefer to use 100 lb Power Pro as my main line, and 40 lb Big Game as my leader line. Many times I've been snagged up but still have been able to break my leader and retrieve my barrel swivel and weight. There is no line that is abrasion proof. Sooner or later, all lines will break. You just have to really be aware of any signs of abrasion and re-tie your lines.

11. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I use 60 pound Ande. I actually stepped down from 80 just to get a little more line on my reels(320 gti's). I have a couple of new rigs(abu 6500's with mathing rods) that I want to put 25 on to use but I still have my doubts about smaller line even though a good buddy of mine uses 15 pound.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i am using 65# power pro and i like it alot. i used to use spiderwire a lng time ago, when it first came out and i hated it. but the power pro is nice and i think i will stick with it for a while.

13. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    50# Berkley Big game for mono and 100# Berkley Whiplash or 50# Berkley Fireline for braid.

14. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I also use power pro, but on all my rods with mono I started using Bass Pro Excel line. I have put it to the test and really like it. It's very castable, strong, and has good abrasion resistance. A real plus is the price! The only downside is that the highest pound test is 30.

15. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
  16. JHow

JHow New Member

State:
    South East
    I'm using 50# power pro mainline and 40# big game as the leader.

17. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Tuf-Line 50/60lb.This is a musky-braided line.Your knot is the only thing you`ll "EVER" worry about!!!

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK - my 2 cents worth:

I like mono. I use 15 pound and have landed several very nice flatheads with it, but I can see where heavier line would be a good idea if there's a good chance the fish will get around cover. Can't see much point in going too heavy though. With fresh line and good knots, you can pull most boats around with 30.

Briads could come in handy in some situations, but I would match a braid with a soft rod, so that there's some give somewhere in there. Personally, I like Fireline. It handles better than PowerPro. I have seen the Suffix braid and it looks good, but I haven't fished with it. Stay away from the original Spiderwire. It has lousy abrasion resistance. In my opinion it's garbage.

19. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    80lb Power pro on the main line, 50 lb power pro leader. Never had a break yet. I also recently started using rubber beads between my swivel and sinker instead of the traditional plastic beads, I think it keeps things quiter when your baitfish is swimming around. You usually find them where carp fishing supplies are sold. Good Luck!

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have been using 80lb power pro for 3 yrs now (same line) The first 30 yrds off every reel is a little lighter in color than the bulk of the reel, but it is still as strong as when I first spooled them up. I have had more snags already this year than all of last year and it takes some doing to break this line. I have fished it in big rocks, and all thru log jams and root wads the last 3 yrs and no complaints. I was worried a little this spring when fishing under a dam cause I snagged every rod multiple times and could feel the line sliding on the rocks but it never broke at the chafing spot. I always managed to break it at one of the knots, or the leader, or the sinker slide. I did pull out line back at the house to check for nicks and cut some off, but thats just being prepared for the big one lol. I use 80lb spiderwire fusion for my leaders cause it has a coating that I can run my fingers over and tell instantly if it has been nicked or scarred by a fish or structure. I don't know if its still being sold or not, but I have a spool that will last me 4 or 5 more years. If you fish around rocks and wood alot go with 80lb or above power pro, the 50 has failed a couple buddies of mine. I don't know if its because they don't check their line after rubbing on a snag or what. I can only report what I know. The larger lb lines have more abrasion res. than the smaller ones.