OK night

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Jul 13, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Went out Tuesday night caught one cat a channel that was about 5-6 lbs from the lake in town, then I caught some bluegils that were 3-5 inchers and went to the river with one of my co-workers and he caught a good sized softshell turtle and they were bitin' hard but they were not taking the whole bait, I think that I need to have a stinger hook about 3-5 inches back on my bait, I was cutting th bigger gils and using the little ones whole. Any suggestions on what may help my hook up ratio would be great.

Aaron

TA2D

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a great night in my book brother. Any night on the water can't be bad.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Coupla thoughts: Big baits require big fish to swallow them. Maybe there were just a bunch of dinks around. What size hook(s) are you using with those baits - are they big enough? And where are you placing your hooks - can you get a good hookset?

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Switch up bait sizes and hook sizes. Even try different baits.

5. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just the topic I was looking for...

I had a good run last night on a big piece of cut bluegill, but the reel somehow engaged and when the line came tight, the fish dropped the bait. I had it rigged on a 3/0 kahle, biggest I had in my box (for now:embarassed: ).

When you guys rig cut bait, do you worry about how much the hook is exposed? Curious if it makes much of a difference to the fish. I was using about a 1" wide section cut right behind the head with the guts from a 5-6" bluegill. What size do cut your bait? I've heard and read that 6-8 lb. channels are quite common in this lake.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    3/0 and 5/0 Kahles with a slight offset and a 5/0 "J" style with no offset, we were usng varied sizes of cut bait anything from about 1 sqare inch and up, I know that there was atleast one big one I had a hit on my 8 ft Berkeley Big M/H Action Game that bowed about halfway over.

Aaron

TA2D

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

anytime on the water is worth the trip catching fish is a bonus.

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    3/0 and 5/0 Kahles with a slight offset and a 5/0 "J" style with no offset, we were usng varied sizes of cut bait anything from about 1 sqare inch and up, I know that there was atleast one big one I had a hit on my 8 ft Berkeley Big M/H Action Game that bowed about halfway over.

Aaron

TA2D

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I was using the bluegils cut in half it almost seemed like they were biting on the end of the bait so I have been thinking of rigging a stinger hook further back on the bait.

Aaron

TA2D

10. PITBULL2888

PITBULL2888 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    whats a stinger hook

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    its a second hook that some people put trailing in the tail of their bait so if they miss the first hook they'll still get the stinger

12. PITBULL2888

PITBULL2888 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    do you got a pic of one riged up on line

13. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't have any rigged up yet, but I think that I am gonna do that tomorrow, I am going to use a 5/0 Eagle Claw Kahle with a 3/0 Eagle Claw Kahle for the stinger, wth 30lb big game for the leader between the two. what to you guys think of that?

Aaron

TA2D

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

TA2D, let me know how that rig works out. I'll give you a call in a little bit at work.

Suds

15. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We will have to try that spot when you get back home, I know that with a stinger setup we should be able to get into some decent cats.

Aaron

TA2D

16. PITBULL2888

PITBULL2888 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    is a stinger hook just a regular hook of your pick that you have behind your first hook so that if you miss him with the first you snag him with the second?

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    More for the light biters that only nip at the bait.

Aaron

TA2D

18. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    ta2d i wouldnt down size just to catch smaller fish if you know there is big ones in the water you are fishing and that is what you are after, if numbers are what you are after then yes, if big ones are what you are after just remember small bait catch small fish big bait catches big fish

19. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Most of the bait that we were using was decent sized for the small river that I fish, I would like to get some shad, but without my cast net nearly impossible.

Aaron

TA2D

20. suddawg

suddawg New Member

TA2D if you're heading up to Bellevue anytime soon, let me know. I'll tell the ex to get my cast net for you.

Suds