Ok, Lets get something going here!

Discussion in 'SOUTH AMERICAN CATFISH' started by Paraguayguy, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anybody fish for big catfish in South America? I read there are two hundred specie in the Amazon River system and the Scientists feel there are probably a bunch undescovered.

I work in Paraguay which is landlocked and almost dead center in South America. We have two Big Mississippi size rivers and three big catfish. Two specie of Surubi and a an ugly catfish called a Maduviru. They get over 100 lbs. The big Surubi are caught fishing live fish and eels. Sound like fish for Flatheads? The relate to Structure and like current. Just like flatheads. The Manduviru eat livebait but will also readily eat fresh cutbait, Darn, Sounds like a Blue Cat.

I haven't caught a monster yet. 25 pounder is my best. The country is so poor, everything that gets caught is either eaten or sold. You have to fly in to remote parts where there is no commercial fishery to get big ones. Has not been in my budget. This year I met a rancher up north and I am going with him. I will report on my trip in May when I return.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Does your work involve fishing???
    Best of luck to you. I'm looking foward to an update on your adventure.

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    If you have the opportunity to take a camera. I am sure alot of us would like to see some pictures. Good luck on your trip and let us know how it went.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I first worked in Paraguay for a subcontractor doing site work for Shell and Texaco in what was then wilderness. This was back in 1977 when we still had to watch our backs because of Indians that wanted to kill us. A motor grader operator of mine got speared but survived. The Indians are tame now. I love to hunt. After grad school and 20 years in Computers, I started a hunting outfitting business in Paraguay 7 years ago.

Its all upland birds and I have a ball. Don't make much money at it, but fun none the less. About 80% of my customers are repeat customers. Great guys who are now like family.
    I will take a mess of pictures:) and share with the board. The surubi is the prettiest catfish you ever layed eyes on. One specie is striped like a tiger and the other is spotted like a leopard. Both get big and are the best eating freshwater fish I ever ate. I eat lots of fish with yellowfin tuna being my favorite and Surubi being a close second.

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Hey man, it would be nice to see pics of these fish.

6. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    cant wait to see pix of those spotted& striped up cats keep the faith

7. run-catfish-run

run-catfish-run New Member

State:
    INDIANA
  8. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    nice fish there para a real monster

9. the pyromaniac

the pyromaniac New Member

State:
    VA
    My wife won't eat catfish in the USA because she grew up eating surubim pintados in Brasil....

10. the pyromaniac

the pyromaniac New Member

State:
    VA
    I want a surubi, a pintado, a jaú, a manguruyú, a matou, a barbado, a bagre, a piraíba, an armado, a cascudo, and a pirarara for the ol' species list...

11. Mo J-Em

Mo J-Em New Member

State:
    Sullivan, Mo.
    Hey Paraguay guy, You caught any of those stiped or spotted catfish yet? Just wondering. Would love to see those pics if you have. Thanks