Ok i wanna catch some carp does this sound good

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by field989, Jul 24, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok up in montecillo around lake shafer there are these little pond like things that are all connected and i have seen schools of 5-15 BIG HUGE carp

i wanna try to catch one on a fly rod (it is a 5WT i hope this is enough for carp, i got 4lb test tippet(which is like a leader) think this is enogh)
    i wanna put a hook on it and put a piece of corn (does this work?)

but i am pretty sure i will try out corn for them,.. just cast it to them and let it sink( I DO HAVE A LITTLE BOAT UP THERE that i can use and this is how i found them)

so will this work?

Thanks

Jeff

2. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Sure it will. Just make sure you have enough line on that reel. Also hang on because a 15 pound carp can make some strong and long runs. Good luck and lets us know how you did.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    I just love the fight...

so heck what could fight more and be cought easier than a carp...

plus there is a TON of em up there....

but i got 100 yards of backing and maybe 10-25 yards of fly line..(enough?)

what size hook should i use?

but i was thinkin 4lb test is pretty lite for a big ole carp lol

Thanks

Jeff

4. Jordan

Jordan New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What you got sounds pretty good but you might want to go a little heavier on the leader line. The pond I fish for carp has nothing for them to get hung up in and we us 6# test on ultralites sometimes and we havent had one break off yet. It seems though that when they go on a run they turn right back around and go back and forth.

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Have caught several carp over 10 with four pound test line but no hang ups in the water but they sure to run. I usually use a size 8 hook for carp. Have use size 12 and caught my biggest using that size hook (16 lbs). My wife out did me with a 17 pounder. We just use Wheaties for bait. Loads of fun.

6. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    yea just make sure that line is strong enough for how hard they fight

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You want a battle. The 4-llb line will land a large carp on a fly rod. The rod will take up the run... just don't let it bend too much... let out a little line. I bet you can land a 20# carp if you're carfull.:smile2:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sounds like you'll have a blast.Let us know how you did.

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Just take it slow,and play the fish.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Oyea fun fun fun never thought about afly rod But man i`m going to give it a try:big_smile_2:

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If you have the Asian Carp you jsut need a boat with a motor and they will jump right into the boat.

That set up should be plenty, if you really feel like playing the fish for a while.

12. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Sounds like fun bro..let me know how it goes :smile2:

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like your fixin to have a great battle.Let us know who wins. And yes corn is good for catching carp or wheatie balls on a treble hook. Good luck and have fun. Thier a blast to catch ,great fighters.

14. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have heard of people using fly rods and supposed to be a real battle

15. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Sometimes carp can be picky feeders. They suck in a mouthful from the bottom of the pond, quick taste and spit it back out if they find something good. They love corn but it seems that if any of the hook is not covered they taste the hook and spit.

Totally cover the hook with corn.

I use a size 6 or for that size perhaps a size 4 hook. I don't have luck with circles hooks for carp and I think it is because of the shape of their mouth.

A few days before you plan to fish pick out an area an throw in several handfuls of corn. Get them used to feeding on it.

Good luck, should be a blast.