Ok, I had to test my new Daiwa Eliminator Conventional Rod....

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, May 16, 2008.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    After watching Randy's video on his new rods (Black and Blue), and seeing him deadlift 20lbs with one, I decided I had to test my rod out. I bought it a month ago, but with work being so crazy, all I've been able to do is get the reel on it, and then line on the reel. It's got an Abu 7000LD Big Game with 50lb Silver Thread AN40 on it. The rod is the Daiwa Eliminator BA Conventional 7' MH 15-40lb line, 2-6oz rating, model EL-BA701-MHR.

I tied the line to 15lbs of barbell weights using an improved clinch knot, and cranked the drag on the reel tight. The rod lifted the weight off of the floor with no problems. I, on the other hand, must be a wuss, or Randy had forearms like Popeye, because I couldn't believe how hard it was to lift that weight. I honestly don't think that I could have lifted 21lbs of weight, whether or not the rod is up to it! Kudos to him for lifting it and managing to video it at the same time.

Then I put the rod in a holder that I clamped in my bench vise, and tied a snap on the end. I started with 6oz of lead and the rod just had the slightest bend in it. I kept going and stopped at 21oz. At that point, the rod did have a bend in it, but no more than a couple of inches off the centerline, and only in the upper quarter of the rod.

At this point, without having fished it, I'd say that the rod is definitely under-rated for what it's capable of handling. It's a stiff rod, but it still has some tip action to it. I like the triangular shape to the front grip, keeps the rod from rolling in your hand under pressure. I also think that the overall length of the grips/reel seat are a good compromise for fighting and casting. Fit and finish is as good as any rod I've held in the store, even ones costing much more.

What would I change? Not much. The graphics on the rod are sharp and look good together. A white blank would be nice, or at least a white tip area, for night fishing, but I can get over it. It has 8 guides and that seems to be enough to keep the line from rubbing the blank under load. The guides are stout ceramic boat guides. I like ceramic guides myself, but maybe all stainless rings and no insert would be more durable? It's a 7ft rod, my personal preference is no shorter than that, but I think that 7.5ft might balance a bit better with heavy weights.

All in all, for $40 and shippng, I'm more than satisfied with it. I think that I'm going to order some more, I still have 4 reels that I have to get on rods. If you're looking for a nice rod for a good price, these may be for you.

P.S. This is not meant to reflect on Randy's superb rods in any way at all. I know without a doubt that his rods are a better product than these, but I can't lay down $80-$120 per rod (as much as I'd like to). I figure that there are many other people in the same boat (jeez, no pun intended) as me that need a good rod for under $50, so I'm passing along my thoughts.

2. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    well im no Popeye but im no chump ill lift that weight anywhere just to prove to you i and my rods can do it on my next video with my mississippi rod i am dead lifting 34.3 pounds
    hey if you love the diawa rods thats great in my opinion what ever rod works for you is the best for you i just wanted people to see what my rods can do, and not at all was i lying or do i need to just to sale a rod im not like that i think the catfishing world as been lied to one to many times and i hope one day to change that
    we as catfishermen want rods built for us i have done this
    we want hooks just for catfish i have done this
    and ill continue to do so maybe one day ill have what ever cat men need with out having to settle for some off the wall salt water gear im glad my video is having a reflection on the catfishing world weather or not you buy my rods im glad you are testing yours never know when that big boy will be here lol thanx for your feed back

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Hey man, I meant no disrespect at all you your or your rods. I love your videos (the youtube video of Capt. Hugh just ain't right, although it was pretty funny. That redefines stink bait). and your website. Your stuff is awesome, and what you're doing for the catfisherman is without par. If I could lay out the dough for them, I'd have your rods in the mail tomorrow.

There are a lot of people that say they can provide what the catman wants, yet drop the ball. You are laying your livelihood on the line and making things happen for us. I admire that.

There are a lot of bullcrap rods that are marketed as catfish rods that couldn'lift a 5lb anything, and lead a lot of people to heartbreak when the big one hits. I just wanted to let people know that I've found a rod for a good price that seems to deliver the goods.

I hope that you're not pi**ed at me, because that's not what I intended at all. I meant in no way to downgrade your products or anything you do with them.