Ok i give up....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sloenuf, Feb 18, 2007.

1. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    ok so im mostly a lake an state park fisher...(never really had a good spot to bank fish from in the river until i found some spots last month) but this summer i plan on doing a little river fishing too. so i plan on gettin a nice set up just for the river. ive had so many ideas and i just cant seem to make my mind up... so i look to you guys for help please. ive got a 9ft. med heavy action eagle water claw with a abu 6600 on it that i thought about using. then i picked up a 10ft berkley glow stick and thought about puttin a abu 6600 on that or a 7000(also thought of just throwing a 6600 on it and keeping it as a "lake" pole) have thought of a 10ft nite stick too with a 6600 or a 7000. then i started thinking about just getting a 7ft heavy action ugly stick tiger and throwing a 6600 or a 7000 on it. some people have told me that the 7000 is gonna be my best bet for the river an some have said the 6600 will be fine anyone care to elaberate on that? like i said i give up because once i make my mind up i get another plan hahaha... any help is greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If i was you I would just get a good medium heavy or heavy action rod and throw a 7000 on it. Lot of people are going to tell you to get an ugly stick. Personally I don't really care for them. It's what ever feels good in your hands. I like a 7'6" or 8 foot rod. Although I fish from a boat 100% of the time on the river. So maybe you may need a longer rod.

3. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    yea i dont have access to a boat really so its gonna be bank fishing for me until i can get access to a boat

4. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    My absolute favorite rod for catfishing is easily my Bass Pro Shops CatMaxx rod. It's a 9 or 10 footer that originally had a matching CatMaxx spinning reel on it, but to be honest, I didn't like the reel nearly as much as I did the rod. Nothing wrong with it, but just didn't care for it.

But the rod is incredible. I recommend at least looking into them, as they're pretty cost effective, too.

5. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    yea that rod has crossed my mind also... one of the workers here at bass pro recommended it to me and a friend awhile back said he has two 10' with abu 6600's on em for the ohio river

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mark, what is your primary target species? If its gonna be Channels go with the 6500. Forget about a 6600. Its the same reel just gonna cost you more. Get a C3 or a TC. the TC is the same as a C3 cept for an extra bearing and a power handel, but it is SWEEEET. If you plan on flathead and blue fishing, and using 4 to 12 ounces of weight and a big live-bait, go for the 7000 BG. I have all my 7000's on 7'6" rods. I fish mainly from a boat, but can still reach out from the bank. If you buy a 10 footer it suks to use from a boat. It can be done but....hard to land the fish. I have never held a tiger, but they say they are a kick A.. rod for the money MH for allround duty Heavy for big cats. I use E-cat #4's and heavy BOSS rods. I can't complain about either.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I try to steer people to the salmon type rods. They are long enough for bank fishing and medium/light action for awesome casting ability and most are 10-12' long. My favorites are St.Croix Wild River and Avid series. They do cost a pretty penny, but very durable and well worth the money. Just a thought.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    If you can afford them go for the 7000's on the rods... Its worth the extra line capacity incase a fish decides it doesn't want to say there anymore... I know a guy who uses the 6500's and 40lb line and it doesn't hold enough to be able to get some of the freight trains under control and they end up spooling him/his clients... I use 25lb test and the Shakepeare Tidewater TW30's for just that reason... it says 220 of 20 lb test on them ( i think its meant to say 30, but i won't argue) and that equates if its right to about 200 yards of 25lb test line... Never once come close to being spooled... I try and keep 175+ yards of what ever line I'm using on each of my reels (esp the ultralights)... and if you play the fish right you'll get them in... I've caught close to 40#ers w/ the 25lb test line and never once came close to spooling...

So go for the line capacity

9. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    im mostly a blue an flattie person unless im at the neighborhood pond then ill go for channels... ive got a 6600 now on my 9' an there not that much more then the 6500 here like 5-10 more no biggie.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    my river rod setups are two eagle claw catclaw rods12' with one a abu7000 the other a TW30 and my boat rods are 7.5'berkly biggame rods with shakesphereskp2000 s

11. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    on a small 6500-6000 size reel the most drag you can get will be only 15lb or so ... putting 40lb of line on it is a waste of capacity .... about the most I would put on a 6500 would be 17lb .... 14-15 is ideal .... you can always use a short heavy piece for rocks and teeth ....

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Well I use 20 lb test line on my 6000 and 14 lb test line on 5600. I think ur reels will hold up.

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    if your fishin for blues and flats,take sman's advice and go for the 7000's.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you're still wary of a 7000, find a BOC member who has one and meet up and cast it. I am not exagerating when I say you'll love this reel. I use mine for channel fishing when I go for them, its a bit of overkill but you can use them. Then you are still set for Flathead fishing for the majority of the time.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The 7000's are the way to go if your gonna chase big blues and flatheads! I do have one 6500lc reel but its going to hold braided line so line capacity isn't a prob.