Ok... I finally got a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by crusinman2002, Sep 4, 2006.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok... as some of you know, i had a john boat that i was supposed to get, that didn't happen, then i started looking at getting a new boat... was probably going to happen, but i wasn't sure that i wanted to pay that much... lol... well... i finally did it... i got me a boat... i was at the resale lot on Fort Bragg and came across a boat... its a 1989 Javelin fish and ski, full fiberglass... it needs work, but it was cheap... i scooped it up, had a friend pull it to his house, and started looking at all of what i need to do... it is water ready the guy said, but its been sitting since 2002... its 16' 8" plus the motor... it has a Johnson 110 horsepower outboard on it, that was rebuilt and has 180 hours on it since... i need to buff the paint out and get new clear coat on it, the floor has a soft spot in the walk through that i have to replace the wood in that section... the seats are shot, vinyl is tore up really bad, and the foam is deteriorating, and the wood is real soft and feels like its rotting... other than that, the guy says everything works... it came with an old minkotta trolling motor, 33 pounds of thrust, and its foot controlled.. 2 batterys, lights, bimini top, trailer, and motor... the glass on each side of the windsheild is missing, but not a big deal, the frame seems like an awesome spot to put a couple of rod holders for crappie fishing under a light... lol... none of the panels have locks on them, but the locks are pretty cheap... the trailer is in good shape, hubs are great, just got repacked with grease last month... the trailer needs a new spare tire, and i have to rewire the trailer, the current wiring is really rigged up and does not look safe... but i can get a wiring kit from walmart for cheap.... so all in all... for what i paid for the boat, i got a really good deal... lol... i know you guys want to know how much i paid, so here goes... $300.00 ... you can think i'm lying, but i'm not... you can ask my friends that were there when i made the offer and the guy said yes... i couldn't believe it myself... so for that price, i couldn't pass it up... yes, it needs work, but not all that much, and it won't cost all that much... and i will enjoy fixin it up... tuesday i'm going to clean the boat up a bit, rewire the trailer, clean and purge the gas and oil tanks, and then put gas and oil in, pull the plugs and crank the engine over a little bit to get all the oil out of the cylinders, and get it out in the water, just hoping that i can get the engine to fire up.... lol... i pulled the plugs and they still look new, batteries were dead, so i couldn't test anything electrical out, charging the batteries tomorrow... i have a charger that will trickle charge, and recondition a battery... so i'm going to take my time and do it that way... if anything, i have a couple of car batteries that are good just laying around so i could use them just to get it out for a little bit... but yeah... i'm going to take before and after pics and pics all through the time i'm working on the boat... i'll put the before pics, and what it looks like after cleaning it up a bit up wed. sometime... but for now i'm going to get going... i'm sure you are tired of reading this by now... lol... i'm just so excited... i mean... my own boat.

any tips or tricks or anything that you think i should know... just let me know... i'll be more than grateful of any advice.

2. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    cograts hope you enjoy

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Congrats Hope you enjoy it:001:

4. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    $300.00 is extremely cheap. I see it's gonna take quite a bit of work to get her all fixed up. You might look around and find another boat that needs a motor, but in good shape for a little of nothing.

Then put your motor on it, and wham your ready to go.. Just a thought...

Either way, have fun with it..

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    :lol: Welcome to the money pit.
    I will warn you. What seems to be cheap to fix is not.
    A decent vinyl folding seat for a bass boat at the minimum is 60 bucks a pop.
    One I wouldnt mind bolting to my boat is a 100 a pop.
    But you can get the cheap Chinese Walmart plastic version for 30 bucks or so. Just dont lean back!

Its entirely up to and your boat but if I got it for 300 bucks and the motor is good I could afford to put a little restoration money in it.
    If it were mine and I had a place to work on it come winter I would pull the motor and seperate the hull.
    This would make a floor job go easy and fast. I can pull out a floor and replace the whole thing faster then I can patch one. A patch is kind of like putting bondo in a rusted out hole in a fender. You made it look better but the cancer is still there. It dont go away.
    Check the stringers thoroughly. Check the transom.
    Come spring you would roll out a a nice fishing machine.

You got a good buy. The trailer is worth that.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Congrats on the boat! If you like projects you got the right one. I love doing stuff like that.
    Bill

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mark is correct so do yourself a favor and forget how much money you will need to spend and do the job. In the end if you spend to much you are still way ahead because of what you learn. Knowledge has value, If you learn then you come out on top. If you take a boat like that and make it your perfect cat boat you will remember it all your days.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey mark, i don't have a place to work it this winter, i won't even be here this winter... lol... but after i get back from this deployment i'll have plenty of money to do whatever i want with the boat and i'll have some time off of work... i was looking at some seats in a catalog i got in the mail a while back and they are not too bad for price... i'm looking at $260 for the seats that i want to put in it... and i found a page where a guy was restoring older javelin boats and he says that that peice of wood is seperate from the rest, but i will see for myself when i pull the carpet up... if anything, i will need to buy a whole piece of plywood, so i may as well replace the whole floor... i'll already be taking the seats out, so why not... lol... this week, i'm just going to be trying to get it cleand up a bit, in the water, and get the engine started... then i'm going to winterize it and park it till i get back.... i'm staying at a friends house tonight, so i'll be able to get the pics up tonight... but i got to get going, cause i have to head over there and get the charger on battery number 1, that way when i get out of work tonight it will be done and i can charge the other one.

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You know what they say. A boat is a hole in the water you pour money in.

Hey I've been pouring it in for over 30 years, and still am.

If you got a decent 110 and trolling motor for $300 you didn't get hurt. I've done a bunch of project boats and they always take longer and more money than you thought they would. But it's always been worth it. You'll know your boat from bow to stern.

Before I got too far I'd do like suggested above. Get the stringers and especially the transom checked out if you don't know how. A 110 can find a rotted transom real quick. There is a ton of great info on boat repair and parts on the internet. I'd also buy a shop manual for your motor ASAP.

Good Luck!

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    my trolling motor cost than you paid for everything. You have a good start

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Ken congrats on the boat. If you need any help with it when you get back give me hollar. I know you will be in the dessert for the year are so, but keep my number and call me when you get back. Sorry about rushing the conversation last night but I was asleep when you called and could keep my open, worked a 14 hour shift then fish for 7 hours and had laid down for about an hour when you called. Good luck and be safe over there.

12. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    congrats on the new boat I know how I felt when I got mine
    have fun fixen her up
    make sure you use marine grade plywood when you do the floor anything else will rot super fast
    Trevor

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would rather work with marine plywood however marine plywood is not a super plywood. It will rot just as quick if not faster then a piece of southern yellow pine plywood. Most of the marine ply that we would buy is not actually Mahogany as its referred to but Luan.
    the reasons marine plywood is used extensively in marine applications is because most of it is certified.
    It is laminated with the the right glues (so is exterior plywood. Same glue)
    There are no voids. Voids are places for moisture to collect. Voids weaken a structure.
    Instead of your home depot pine plywood that has 3 layers in a 1/4" sheet the marine grade will have 4 or 5 layers.

In short, the term "marine plywood" has little to do with rotting.
    Its all about how the plywood is made, its lighter weight, and probally most important its lack of voids and its superior lateral shear strengths and compression strengths.

A typical weight comparison would be
    5 ply 1/4" Meranti 1088 Lloyds British Standard weighs 23 pounds a sheet.
    3 ply 1/4" Southern yellow pine exterior grade plywood weighs 27 pounds a sheet.
    The difference doesnt sound like that big a deal but build a boat. It adds up fast.
    The factory finish on a piece of Meranti is a dream to work. A sanded two sides piece of pine ply is no comparison.
    Bending the Meranti is a dream. It bends in a uniform fashion.
    Domestic plywood bends here doesnt want to bend there and then forced to bend here. Makes for a helluva time fairing a finished product. Often times the money you think you save by going the cheap route is gobbled up in products to get it fair in the end.

Marine plywood is only as good as its installed.
    If you are the cheapo type, dont bother springing for a piece of marine ply and then think you can get away with slathering a thick coat of furniture grade polyeurethene on it and it is good to go. You'll be really disappointed sooner then later.

I've said it a 1000 times and will stake my life on it. EPOXY.
    Install it with a marine grade epoxy and it will outlast you and probally your grandkids. Epoxy is the best money you can spend on a boat with wood.
    Although the initial price of materials seems real high, its not. You replace the floor now, replace it 18 months from now and then 2 years after that and that initial cost is cheap.

DONT stick the next guy in line. If it has a problem , fix it right. I hate the attitude of well I'm only going to keep it for a year or two. This means you plan on sticking someone else with the same problem but remember rot is a cancer. Your patch job is like fuel to the fire. The next guy is gonna be screwed twice or thrice what you were.
    I value my name and reputation. It aint worth losing it over a coupla hundred bucks or even a few thousand.

If you were buying a restored boat or selling a restored boat which disclosure list would you rather see?

1/2" marine ply floor covered both sides with 12 oz biaxial glass using systems 3 epoxy
    or
    3/4" exterior pine floor with thompsons waterseal on the bottom and truck bed liner on the top screwed down with sheetrock screws and bondo used to fill the screw holes.
    And disclose I would, rather then be sued later.

This boat provided that the motor is in good shape is a perfect candidate for restoration.The winter can be spent tearing it down, cleaning it up, and prepping for surgery. Materials can be bought over the winter spread out over time to make it less painful and come late winter early spring in a few weekends get it all put back together.
    For Christmas ask the wife and family for an electronic item for the boat or gift cards to marine supply stores.

On a scale of 1-5 for difficulty I'd say 3 to do it right if you are mechanically inclined at all.
    A 1000 dollars would go a long way in a full restoration if you shop but a more realistic budget would be 1500 especially if carpet is going to be replaced. Hard to get around not carpeting a bass boat being that the compartment lids are uglyyyyy naked. A good snag free carpet is worth the money if you go the carpet route. Cheap carpets dont last and stain easily.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Mark that was one heck of a post and very informative. I have fished with Ken a few times and talked a lot while we fish. He doesn't seem to be the "cut corners' kind of guy. He does seem to be the type to do it right the first time so it last type though. And I am almost sure he will take youe advice as it is sound. You know a lot about many things and are a generous with you knowledge, thank you.

15. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Way to go Brother, glad that you found what you wanted. Hope that the repairs go well

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Way ta go on the boat. One thing you may want to think about. I think you said you had an oil tank on the motor, if it is oil injected you may want to disconnect the oiler and mix the oil with the gas manually. Those oil injectors sometimes don't work right and there goes your motor. Just a suggestion.

I hope you enjoy your boat and get a lot of good use from it. Be safe over there my friend.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mark that is the way I did mine is with 4 ply luan and epoxy. I laped the edges and sealed them and then put the cloth and epoxy on it. Had a good finish and then put the carpet on it. I also added drains to the floor to channel any water to the bilge where the pump could pick it up.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Benji, we learn from mistakes and share what we learned:embarassed:
    I really botched up the first restoration I did but thankfully it was my boat.
    I then sought a 10 year education on how its done right.

Although I did a nice job, I'm not a cobbler I used the wrong materials.
    What looked like a brand new boat didnt look that way long.

I would love to restore and build boats for a living but its a hard business to break into and is more or less a regional business.
    I would fare alot better living at the coast where boats are appreciated alot more.
    Instead I just help friends out with theirs when I can and share what I have learned.
    One of the first things I realized is that there are no shortcuts. Many before me have gone the shortcut route also and I have learned from not only my mistakes but theirs.
    The major learning curve is learning what is available and how it is used.
    The second curve is then realizing what materials are better then others for certain applications whether cost wise, installing efficiency, or durability.

Just like in medical field advancements we often sit back and wait for the verdict to come in a little clearer before we subject our own body to the treatment, boat products or products not designed purposely for the marine industry but are being used in the marine industry are and should be treated the same way. Even new marine industry products should fall under the microscope.
    A good case in point was when the first cored hulls on yachts went into production. Alot of yacht builders jumped on the bandwagon and subsequently lost their butts and businesses. The product was in its infancy and little was known on how best to use and install it and with what bonding agent.
    Now its widely used with the results it was intended. New bonding agents were designed specifically for the product instead of relying on what was already on the market.

Learning the lingo is important. There is a vast difference in waterproof and water resistant. Terms like wet rot and dry rot have to be understood.
    Not only will boats wet rot but they will dry rot. Fiberglass will rot. Its not waterproof using vinylester resins which all fiberglass boats that I know of do use. A simple ding in the gelcoat can start the chain reaction and go totally unnoticed visually unless you know what to look for and know what you are looking at when you see it. Obviously the effects arent as great on us in the type boats we use monetarily wise but when you get up into boats of values that top hundreds of thousands and millions it becomes major and repair expenses on one boat would be high enough to put more then a few of us into new catfish boats.

In retirement if I ever have the luxury of being retired I would like to survey boats, build a few boats a year to sell, and very selectively restore a boat here and there for compensation. Until then you can consider me an open book that isnt finished yet. I learn more everyday.
    Anxiously awaiting the next issue of Wooden Boat magazine.

19. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey mark.. thanks for the info... rep points to you... i was going to use marine grade plywood, seal it with deck sealant, and then fiberglass it, and epoxy it in.... in your opinion, would i need to seal it with deck sealant, or is that a bad idea to do? i'm also going to put all new carpet in, and on the naked metal lids, and i'm puttin a door in the walk through to eliminate some more wind for those chilly nights... lol

i started rewiring the trailer today, wire harness from walmart only $9.00... all the lights are still good... the wiring needed to be redone, the last guy appearanly didn't know how to do it and had it all messed up... i hooked up a car battery and checked all the lights on the boat, they all work... got the airator working, but i couldn't get the bildge pump to work, i'm going to replace it 2morrow if all the wiring and switch is good going to it... got the trim to work, and cranked the engine for just a second after priming the oil... i pulled the oil injector and pumped the primer and oil flowed freely... tomorrow i'm going to put gas in it and drop the engine down into my bait tank that i made with it full of water... going to have to dissasemble the tank to grab the pump out of it, and get the sprayer tube out of it... i'm goin to try to get the engine to start... so there is still a bit of work to do before i can get it into the water, but if i work hard at it 2morrow, i should be able to get it in the water by the evening with the winch hooked up to the front to check for leaks... if there are no leaks, i'll prolly take it for a spin, but if there are leaks, when i get back from this deployment i'll take it to the marine shop up 87 from fayetteville and get them to fix it for me... buy anyways... i'm going to get going... got to take a nap before going to work... been up all night working on the boat... lol... got to be to work in less than 4 hours... and as i promised, here are some pics... these are the before pics... http://curseyournameracing.com/boat/ ... i will take more pics after work with the bimini top on it... oh i forgot to say, it came with a bimini top.... well... i'll talk to yall later.

20. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the pics looks like you got a super deal