Ok, I can't stand it anymore. Turn on your anchor light at night

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by SkipEye, Jul 15, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You know who you are. You are ALL OVER the place.

Get settled in for some night fishing then turn off all of your lighting.

I come cruising the river then poof, a light comes on out of nowhere. I start seeing other dark blobs in the area who don't even bother to turn on any lights.

Yep, you are right, I will spotlight you and ruin your night vision if you do not give me the courtesy of keeping your lights on in compliance with coast guard regulations.

I'll probably keep you lit up longer than I need to just because you tick me off. So there!:ah:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    That's it... light them up. Darn fools don't need to have any courtesy shown to them anyhow.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    As far as I can tell, there's some sort of electromagnetic suppression field in place on the Missouri River - navigation lights simply don't work there.

I can't tell you how many dark anchored boats I've gone by and how many dark boats have flown by me in the middle of the night (and I hardly ever fish at night!)...:roll_eyes:

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    My lights always shine brightly!

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    it's not limited to your area. the other nite a boat came by us in bastrop bayou near galveston bay with no lights. we heard it coming and it went on by us at high speed. later we ran by a boat and did not see it until we were by it. these nuts could at least use a flashlight if they cannot get the lights to work.

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I had the same thing on the river I was on last night. I wish there was some enforcement of that law. I even had one guy running the river with his lights off. I could hear him but I couldn't see him. What are these people thinking?

7. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    same thing happened to me on the kaw these guys didnt have any lights and it looked loke they were going home but when i got to the bank they were heading back out to check there lines they must of had a flashllight because there were no lights on the boat

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    These brains are generally of the opinion that lights ruin their night vision AND they also attract mosquitoes. My thought in this line if if they can't stand the mosquitoes they need to buy some repellent or quit fishing at night. Night vision...it will get ruined anyhow just as soon as they run upon a another boater who shares their same philosophy. And it will happen...guess who the law punishes...

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    We had two people killed on Bull shoals lake a couple weeks ago one of the boats had no lights on

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We need a national boating license.
    There will always be a problem with ignorant and stupid acting boaters as long as being able to pilot your boat has no value.
    When you require a license it places value and privilege to be behind the wheel. Something they can lose.

11. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I think I have seen this in another post, but here we go. How about boats with headlights on them, can't tell wich way they are going because the navigation lights are obscured by the headlights.

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree w/mark about the license- we have people like that here too-i mostly see kayakers @ night w/no kind of lights or even a reflective vest of some kind & they are fishing @ night all around the lake not just close to shore imagine how that would turn out if u hit someone on one of those things!!

13. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    You would think that we fishermen would understand why lights are good for everyone, but I suppose there will always be those that expect OTHERS to watch out for them. I see it all the time too and have had some close calls even at slow speeds. I like the idea of spotlighting them... I'll just tell them it was for both of our own good! LOL! Wouldn't want to collide with an unlit vessel!

For whatever poor excuses they might offer, it's just plain stupid to be on the water at night and not have nav/anchor lights on.

I wonder why boats are being made and sold without these safety features built in. Even those of us with small Jon boats could have a keyed control box that would not only power the starter (not sure how you would get around those outboards with pull rope starters) but would also force nav lights to run whenever underway. Plus, they could also easily make a light sensor built into the anchor light that would come on at dusk. (That's a free million dollar idea I just gave somebody.)

Now don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of adding cost to the boat manufacturer who will then pass it on to us (at a greatly marked up price.) But it's apparent that people are just too lazy, stupid, or inconsiderate to follow a very basic, and simple safety regulation.

Boating/fishing is supposed to be a GOOD memory making recreation. Lets try not to let a trip out at night become a tragedy.

I hope I've not offended anyone.... but if your running without lights at night, the guy that blinds you with his 3 million candlepower spotlight just might be me!

Tony
    _

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    3 million might be pretty bright but i just picked up a 15million candlepower & u can imagine they wont be opening their eyes for a few minutes if that hits em :smile2:

15. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    15 million candlepower... you aren't going to blind them, your going to X-Ray them!!
    :eek:oooh:

16. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Chem-Lights are cheap and if someone needed to they could use one of those just to let people know that they are there. $3 is a lot cheaper than a funeral or hospital time.

Aaron

TA2D

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Aaron,

I would say that 99.9% of these guys already have lights on the boat. They just don't use them. That makes it dangerous for everyone on the water.

Chem lights? Oh I know a place for them Chemlights.:crazy:

18. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I like it... Put on your USCG-required lights, or you'll get a severe sunburn from this 15 million cp spotlight. I think spotlighting them is actually being pretty nice. Perhaps fortifying the bow Mad Max styley and threatening to low-speed ram them might do the trick.
    :big_smile:

Provided there are no idiots on the water, we don't need a national license. However, achieving that goal will be next to impossible. Common sense is a commodity in limited supply and high demand. Then again, we have driver's licenses and there's millions of idiots on the road, too...if there was just a way to outlaw stupidity.

19. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    if there was just a way to outlaw stupidity.

I have always said that if we could do that it would solve 99% of the worlds problems.

Stupid people are my pet peeve.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not as hard as you might think.
    It wasnt hard for the federal government to coerce states to make wearing a seatbelt law. The federal government can persuade all of the states to do most anything it wants or it will cut federal funding.
    The seatbelt laws were enacted by , you either get a law passed for your state or we wont fund any more highway construction.

Having a national boating license would be impossible. It would have to be issued by the state you live in and good for any state you boat in just like our current driver's license. In fact I wouldnt see why it couldnt be an attachment to a drivers license like a motorcycle endorsement our state currently has.