ok how do u catch crawdads.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by 10IbsBass, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    do yall know how, when, where, and what to catch crawdads with. Im new at this and i know how to catch them by flipping rocks over and stuff, but i want to learn how to catch more and bigger ones. Any suggestions. Thanks.

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    while crawdad traps are the easiest way to catch them. if your the hands on type, a piece of string and a chunk of bacon rind works pretty good (plus you get good wet and messy in the process... lol)

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    A seine works the best and is quicker then anyother way i know.You can do it by hand or using traps but like i say you find a creek with alot in them a few passes with the seine and you ready to fish.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Take a Gallon milk jug and cut the top off about 6 inches down and invert it in the jug and staple together and put some bait of choice in there. They can get in but not out. Hope this helps.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i usually catch them with my hads

6. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    The best way i found large supplys of craws was to find small creek with good population of craws and seine them with minnow seine.Went slow and hit rocks with seine poles.Usually filled a minnow bucket before we went wading for smallmouths.Most were hard craws and some peelers.The best way to get soft craws was with lantern and hand pick them close to edge of bank at night.My cousin has gotten several hundred in one night.Check your local regulations i think in ohio you can use only eight foot seine and posess 500 and anything over you would need a bait dealer license.Depending on your area i think craws have usually three major sheds a year.Some people get peelers and shed them out in bait tank

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Yup.I caught plenty this way in my youth. and you can cull the little ones before ya get em ,and its FUN too!!

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I always use a seine in a muddy creek bottom or a small pond. Keep two buckets handy... one for the smaller ones and one for the big boys. The big ones will kill the small ones pretty quick...

Best thing for the big ones is a dip in salted spiced boiling water until they turn bright red! Yum!

9. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A lot of great advice, the thing I all ways used was a seine in a small muddy creek. All ways a lot of great help on this site.