OK...How are the Tidewater's holding up?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KYTRAPPER, May 16, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have one(Im an Abu man for the most part) I bought a couple years ago that has held up great. I know several guys who have caught some big fish around piers and such with no problems at all. How is yours holding up?

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I bought a couple but they are going back as soon as my penns show up I can not stand the constant clicking.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    had mine about 2 months seem to be holding up alrite.i still think me penns have them on distance but i like the faster retrive of the t30s.

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I've had my 2 (30's) for 2 years now with no complaints.. Landed 45 lb flatheads with them.. But this is the last year for them, I'm upgrading this year to Penn 220 GTO's.. If I can sweet talk the wife into it I'm gonna buy a Penn 220 on a Penn Slammer rod in the next couple of weeks, then I'll pick up the 2 replacement reels for my tidewaters later this year..

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got an all-metal Tidewater that I've had for 2 or 3 years, and haven't had a lick of trouble out of it. I bought an Abu 6500 about 4 years ago, and it's a piece of junk. Well, to be fair, it would probably be just fine for bass fishing, but not for catfishing. To start off, I couldn't get enough 50# dacron line on the reel to make a decent cast, so I had to take it off; I put 30# test mono on the reel, and found that I could cast about 2/3 of it off, so I had to take it off and put on braided superline. Then I hooked a 10# blue while anchored below a powerhouse on the Arkansas River. I had the fish surfing up on top about 2 boat lengths behind, and I couldn't get the drag to tighten down enough to pull in the fish. I was trying to use the pump & reel technique that I normally use in such a situation, and every time I lifted the rod tip, line would simply peel off the reel. I had to apply extra drag with my thumb to get the fish up to the net. I haven't had to use my thumb for a drag since I was a kid, casting with a Pfleuger Supreme knuckle-buster. Three weeks ago at Pickwick, the level-wind went south on me. Yeah, I know it was caused by heavy useage catfishing, but that's my point---it's just not made to stand up to heavy duty catfishing. Now, if you're using it for smaller fish, and not using it in a heavy current, it's a good reel.
    Just my opinion. I know there are lots of people out there who love their 6500.

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've got 2 that I bought cheap, I have one that's brand new and one that I've used for a couple of years without any complaints.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jtrew I cant understand why u say the 6500 is a peice of Junk, I dont respect that comment, most people love there 6500's I rather have a Sweden made reel than a China made reel. I have always had good sucess with my Abu's.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    CJ21, I know a lot of people are in love with their 6500s, and I'm happy that they're happy with them. But when I pay almost as much for a 6500 as for a Penn GT2 220, first of all, I expect it to do the job--and it never has; second, I expect it to hold up more than 3 or 4 years before it starts needing repairs--a reel that does that is what I call a 'throwaway reel'. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I use the reel hard. If I had been fishing for channels up to 10#-15#, I'm sure the reel would never have given me a moment's trouble. Yeah, now I'm gonna hear from those who have caught big cats on one. I've got a 5500 that I used a lot way back when I was bass fishing, and have never had any trouble with it at all. All I can say is that my experience has been totally different using the 6500 for catfishing, mostly on the Arkansas River. If anyone wants to say it's my fault for using such a reel for heavy duty catfishing, go right ahead, because you're right.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok, I just wonted state how I feel Jtrew. I repect ur comment.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    No problem. I know most people really like their 6500s, and I doubt if very many of them use the reel as hard as I do.

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Well my 2 week old plastic cased tidewaters are already crapping out on me. The spool release on one is all messed up and won't stay down unless you fiddle with it. Glad I have 3 penns to pick up on friday.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks Jtrew! I know I love my Abus!:lol:

13. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana

i would watch shoppin in the bin for fishing line, u dont want to get a bad batch of the good line and be reelin in a possible 50lber and the line falls apart but otherwise jsut watch the bargain bins close:big_smile: