Ok, here is a bonehead question!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Redneck in a Skiboat, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Does anybody use the same rods for drifting that they use when anchored? I usually do both and use the same rods for both. I don't have room or the cash for two sets of rods. When I'm anchored I cast out the rods with drift sinkers that seems to work ok, but I can't sling them as far as the egg sinkers. When I'm drifting I set the rods with egg sinkers just off the bottom, but never catch fish on them. They only hit the the rods with the bait that is being drug off the bottom. Is there a way to quickly change from drift style to anchor style? I thought about using a bell style sinker instead of an egg and clipping it on with a coast lock swivel. It might hang up more and would not slip like the egg does letting the fish feel the weight and maybe spook. Why will they hit a bait that is behind a float a foot off the bottom on a drift rig and not hit one that is hanging a foot off the bottom behind an egg sinker?

2. NCSBI185

NCSBI185 Member

State:
    NC
    Like you we can’t afford different rods either. For drifting we usually use the slinky type sinkers and then when we anchor we go to a egg or pyramid sinker. The slinky type sinkers don’t work as well anchored due to the fish being able to fill the weight. For anchor the weight needs to slide up the line a little bit so the fish won’t fill it. Or that is my experience with it. There is a slide type sinker holder which attaches to the fishing line and then you can just attach the sinker to the slid. I have never tried them so I don’t have any idea if they work. We usually just keep several anchor and several drifting hooks tied on to leaders and just change them out. It takes a little time but worth the effort. Hope that helps a little.

3. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Those slides don't work your bait will go for a mile then your weight hit the water about 20 feet out... I posted a way to do this that works good that I have been doing my whole life,, its posted under your post on the lake forum.... Check it out there ski boat and if you have ?'s pm me and I will send ya my number I can explain it better talking to you....

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I personally have 2 sets of rods,1 set for drifting and 1 set for anchoring just to keep from changing up so much.The easiest way to do it though is if you are using a Santee style drift rig with your leader attached to a snap swivel and your slinky weight attached to your snap.is to just replace the slinky weight with either a bank sinker or the flat sinkers with the wire loop on them,I usually use the 2 or 3 oz flat sinkers.Some folks dont like using the floats however when anchored and using live bait for flatheads,so I have a couple rigged up without the floats for that purpose.
    The action of the bait probably has more to do with the other problem you are referring to with the egg sinkers{JMO}.I like using the sinker slides as well on my anchor fishing rods,it certainly helps with bite detection and less drag or resistance.

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    My slinky weights slide up my line. I use them basically 100% of the time now. Most of my anchoring is in the river, and the slinky weights are just easier and don't like the rocks as much as egg sinkers. I don't carry egg sinkers anymore.

Basically the only difference in my anchor and drifting setups is whether or not I'm using corks. I drift 99% of the time on the lake, and only anchor when there's no wind, so I usually don't bother changing them out then, but I just change out the whole leader when I go the river.

I don't notice a difference in casting, but my slinky weights are about the same weight or maybe a little more than the egg sinkers I used to use.

I couldn't imagine buying another whole set of rods, or having them in the boat for that matter.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use the same rods for both IF the lake isn't to deep. My 6500's and 30# wont hold enough line for deep water.

If ya wanna use a slinky weight rig while anchored just use a split shot to peg to weight against the swivel. The will stop the weight from going anywhere while casting and your rig wont float to top surface.

I use this rig a lot when there is vegetation to keep it up and out....Ive always caught fish with no problems so far.

Pretty sure Pat had his rig set that way on Saturday ; )

7. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I also use 2 sets of rods,mainly for the action.I use 7.6' light-med. action for drifting & med-heavy 7' for anchoring.I also have them each rigged with line suited for the purpose.
    Also I use 1 oz. walking sinkers for drifting,they are much cheaper than slinkys.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Quote by Jimmy: Also I use 1 oz. walking sinkers for drifting,they are much cheaper than slinkys.

I have one of those walking sinkers and even put it on my rod, but never used it. I was going to ask how they work but you seem to do good each tournament so i guess they are ok. I would like to see how you got them riged on your rods. I had got some from Bass Pro shops yrs ago. They were 1oz and 2oz rigs (maybe not the same kind you use but Waleye fishermen use them a lot) well they didn't drift that good causing the rod to bounce a lot and not drag smooth like the slinky type. I ended up getting rid of them.

As far as changing the rigs, i just use different set ups when anchored. I have used the slinky weight with the cork off and shorten the leader some. Works ok, i just like the egg sinkers so i can get my rigs out there. I have seen times at Santee that flatheads (anchored in the Lake, no or little current) Prefer no lead at all, just the hook and the bait. They wouldn't touch anything else. Some of you Santee guys ought to try it sometime when fishn the trees. Take at least one rod with just a hook and a nice perch head and throw her out. (you can thank me later :big_smile:.
    I have collected a lot of rods over the yrs and prefer not to change up during my trips, so i just take rods for everything that may come up:eek:oooh: They get in the way at times with newbee's on the boat, but i have got use to it

9. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    do those walking sinkers work was well as slinky weights? ive been wanting to find something cheaper and hadnt tried those before

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    For the cost of buying the materials to make the slinky's you cant go wrong. I can make @65 for @$30 of materials. (shot and cord and a few hours of watching tv). I use 1 set of rods. I keep 6 rigged all the time with corks and use sinker slides for easy weight changes. The 6-8 rods are rigged for mostly anchoring and I still use the slides. If I have a cork on one Ill use the split shot idea to keep the cork from floating to the top in shallow water.

11. bowler man

bowler man Active Member

State:
    nc
    i carry 2 sets but when i anchor i use the most allowed by rules, i can fish up to 24 with no problem, i have caught 2 60+lb on drift riggs while anchored this year so i don't think it hurts at all :wink: i have also caught 1 49lb flatthead on a slip bobber rig :crazy: i think bobbers are under appreciated:wink:

12. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    On that slip bobber rig, are you talking about a bobber pegged between the hook and swivel on the leader or are you talking about a bobber floating on the surface with a bait suspended at a specfic depth? I use the rig with a bobber between my bait and swivel almost always when fishing cutbait.

13. bowler man

bowler man Active Member

State:
    nc
  14. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When I do use eggs to simply keep the fish from feeling the wieght I slip the line through the egg and wrap a very small split shot on the line. I have used this method in both drifting and dead line and have had lots of success using this method. Try it and let me know what you think. I wish you luck.