Ok guys whats going on?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Sep 22, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My luck is starting to change but I am having line problems.

First problem- using a shad headd and tightlining with a circle hook, I had a nice pull down on my rod, soon after the rod went limp, I reeled in and my brand new 25-lb test big game had broke about 3 inches above the hook.
    Now this was a nice hit, but nothing that should have broke 25-lb test line.

2nd problem, saturday I had the hardest hit I have had in 30 years of flathead fishing, jerked my very sturday bank rod holders and the rod in the river, I was able to get the rod back in about 30 seconds expecting to feel a nice fish, but nothing, I realed in and again my line had snapped about 4 inches above the hook.

3rd problem, I changed the line out on this reel, thinking maybe I got a bad spool of big game, I but on fresh 30-lb big game this time..Last night I had a good slow pull down and picked u the rod and slowy pulled back,,,fish on!!!

I felt a very big flathead, felt the head shake a couple time then again the line went limp. what the heck???? I reeled in and again my line had broken about 5 inches above the hook htis time????

Now I have landed 3 flatheads in this spot over 50-lbs using just 20-lb big game, with ease, so I dont get it?

It cant be the rod guides fraying the line cause I am not reeling it in far enough for the line to even touch the guides.

I have been using bg lines for years and have never had it break, is it possible I got 2 bad spools? I think it is unlikely.

I have had a terrible year flatheading, and I feel I have possibly lost 3 trophy fish in 3 days...Is it the law of avaerges catching up with me/ I cant remember the last time I lost a big flathead?

And there is no snags where I fish that could be cutting the line?

Any ideas, just plain bad luck on a bad year?

2. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    do you have a fish scale?
    if so take some line and tie it off to something and hook the scale to the other end and watch the scale as you pull on the line and see where at what pound it breaks.. that will tell you something right there.
    :wink:

3. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thats crazy I would be pist off if that happen to me. If you like useing mono line try off shore line that stuff is pretty tough. If you want a line that will pull in a whale go for braided line. 65lb or 80lb test line

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

I have never had torouble pulling in 50 and 40-lb flatheads using berkly big game, I cant cast braid worth a darn, so thats out of the option.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack. the only way you could know how far up from the hook your line is breaking is if you tie leaders at home or on the bank. Check this procedure out. It has to be something you are doing then. Do you tie a bunch up then store them in something, perhaps a plastic box lid came down on some of them? Just a thought.:0a26:

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Braid sucks anyway.
    I would buy another spool of Berkley from a different source. I use it and never had a problem.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am estimating, I use 6 to 7 inch leaders, and tie them on the bank, the line is breaking about half way up the leader...and this is on two different spools of line...I think the law of averages is catching up with me, all the good look I have had the past couple years, and now everthing is going wrong..LOL

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Maybe they released some muskingum river strain Flats in there Jack! They fight like pitbulls! LOL!

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well the line came from walmart, that could be the problem...In years past I always bought my big game from bass pro...But certainly walmart would not sell a cheaper version of big game, or would they?

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am not even getting a good fight before the line breaks, very little pressure. heck I have used 12-lb test that would not break like that.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any chance they are large gar cutting it clean? I switched to using 65lb test leaders and have had much much fewer leader breaks. Even with 25lb big game I still use the larger leaders. Every time I was losing a fish it was breaking at the leader. Once I upgraded I have not had any trouble.

12. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I feel ya Jack. I had some bad luck early with line also. Had 40 big game break a couple times so I went to 80# braid. Then lost alot of fish due to rocks. I switched to 80# mono on my 7000s, overkill maybe, but i havent lost a fish since and believe it or not still casts well. Honestly I think your just having alittle bad luck, It will turn around im sure of it bro!

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I still don't think it's the line. How are you dressing for the river these days. If you are wearing pants that have been ironed maybe the pleat is to sharp and when you lay your leader on your thigh to pick up your swivel the line gets nicked. lol :smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

14. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I did hear roger say something about nicking your line so maybe he could catch up to you caliber of fish!:big_smile:

15. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Hey Jack that sucks, The only thing I can think of is maybe a bad lot number of line that was run or even maybe the line you got was past an expiration date. I had a couple of spools of Stren High Impact like that, I bought it at a Wal Mart also and they told me sometimes that stuff doesn't get taken off the shelf when it hits the exp. date and is put back in the store room at the end of the season to make room for other seasonal products. At the start of the next season you guessed it they bring it back out.
    Not sure if that was it or not but it happened to me bout 3 yrs ago.:wink:

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jack, run 40 lb. or heavier leaders and that will save you a lot of heart ache.

17. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    either both spools were in the same lot number or when you are tieing up the leader its getting weakened in the process from something. i knew a guy i fished with a few times who was having similar problems and i watched him tie up and noticed when he was rigging up his wedding ring was hitting the line where he was grabbing it and weakening it. since your useing such a short leader the stress put on it by a big fish is alot and any small mistake in rigging up will be magnified 100 fold in those situations. i'm leaning more towards a bad lot of line you got Jack but try rigging up with someone watching you or paying close attention yourself as it just might be something small you are doing that you have not noticed before. if it is a bad lot contact berkley and they will make it right. you could get ahold of them any ways and give them the numbers and they could probably tell you if there was a problem with that lot number.

18. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm sorry to say but it is the flathead gods answering all my prayers to them. I have been giving them burnt shad offerings and asking them to keep cutting your line whenever a decent sized flat gets on. So this is going to continue happening until i catch my first 50+ flattie. :embarassed:

19. hillbillygurl

hillbillygurl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i agree with this jack. with such a short leader one lil thing is prob gonna weakn it. or just a run of bad luck but why every time the same break at the same place?

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack,

I think I might know what's happeneing (at least it's a possibility). Check your PM's. I didn't want to post alot on here and give away your spot on the mighty Hocking.