ok guys what do you think of this.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Jul 1, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was setting in the doctors office today, I had my boc tee shirt on.

A rather elderly man saw my shirt and started talking about catching flaheads.

He told me he used to run trotlines all the time in the river where I live, we started talking bait..He asked me if I ever used Mackaral for shovelheads as he called them.

I said no that I mainly used fresh cut shad and live bait on ocassion.

He said the best bait he ever used was canned mackaral, that the would wrap it in panty hose and tie to the hook with thread..he said they caught many fish years ago over 50-lbs with this stuff.

Now I know flats like fish, fresh fish...But canned mackarl is cooked! I know it smells really fishy. but still it is a cooked product.

What do you think, think he is full of it?:eek:oooh:

2. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    It really cant hurt to try it a couple of times you never know. We all see strange things out there while fishing for cats.:eek:oooh:

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I dont know they seem to know what they are talking about, of course some of them will tell you what they used for bait back in the day & it will piss PETA off pretty good!! Here kitty kitty......:eek:oooh::wink:

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Heck why not we've used just about everything else but the kitchen sink :eek:oooh::smile2:

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Most of those ole time fisherman pretty well know all the little tricks,so I'd say give it a try.If nothing else the smell may draw them in.:eek:oooh:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    OH GREAT!!!! Good goin Jack, now everywhere you go to fish you will have to pick up canned mackerel cans and, pieces of old pantyhose, LOL!! Never give away all your secrets on the internet, LMAO!!!!

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've caught plenty of large flatheads on a variety of dead bait including shrimp, balllyhoo, finger mullet, minnows, and cut shad.
    Dont sell yourself short with live only baits.

The upper Neuse river is good to us with numerous large flatheads 30 pounds and up.
    The majority of them happen to be caught on dead minnows 2-4 inches long. Sometimes two dead ones to the hook.
    Its real hard to keep a little minnow alive when you impale him on a 10/0 hook.:big_smile:

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jack i'd listen to what the ol timer told you ,mackrel is a really oily and bloody fish...Out here in cali you can buy fresh spanish mackrel 16 to a package each one being 12 inch's in lenth for under 3 dollar's ..And we knock the hell out the cat's with them.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Worth a shot Jack!! Those oldtimers are pretty darn good catfisherman!!:wink: Heck. I've learned some of my best cat catching tactics from an elderly man. As first I thought he was crazy for using bait and hooks so large, until I seen the fish he caught. Now I'm hooked!! :0a18::0a23:

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't know if mackerel would work for flatheads or not, but I know why he said he'd use pantyhose. My friend is from KC and he bought a jar of cut mackerel that was soaked in some kind of blood and then frozen. He said the bait store guy swore by it. It looked to me to be a great bait for channels or blues (I didn't even think about flatheads cause I'm used to live bait), but the only problem was that if you cast it, especially in the dark, you could never be sure that it stayed on your hook. It just seemed to be real mushy. Maybe only after it was frozen, but still panty hose would make a world of difference. After that fishing trip, we probably only used 3 or 4 pieces from the jar before we said screw it and used cut shad or liver or bluegill and my friend gave it to me to go ahead and keep and frieze. As awkward as it may be, I think I'll go to the store and buy some panty hose to use this weekend fishing. I need to get it out of the freezer anyway:smile2:.

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Jack, if you had seen all the concoctions my grandpa and his buddies used, mackeral in a panty hose would be mild. :eek:oooh:if you use fresh cut shad, thats puttin blood and oil out there, I understand your being stumped on a cooked product, but tis still oily.:wink: I tend to pay attention to the really old timers. 80+ yrs old and up.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    you never know.they have been caugh ton worse,or maybe more bazaar baits.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That sounds like someone is funnin' you!!! They keep the mackerel next to the tuna don't they??

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would try anything once. We never know what will work. Thanks for the tip

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey it is worth a shot. The scent trail alone would be worth it, may not catch any flats, but blues and channel should tear it up.

16. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    I have heard a lot of people talk about using canned tuna in homemade dough balls. I guess it could work, I may give it a try.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A old and elderly flathead towards the end of it's day will probably eat anything because it's to old and slow to hunt for prey.

You should of ask the guy how many did he catch? He probably caught a few over a 40 year span and still swears the bait.

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I can just see you guys now going to the store. I need some panty hose please.
    No, No, I swear there for catfishing....:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Any chance he was mis remembering - maybe he caught blues and/or channels with the mackerel?

20. Weaponx

Weaponx New Member

State:
    Rock Island, ILL
    I "used to", catch 1000's of shiner minnows at the dam. Drag them home in a 5 gal. bucket, and smash them into a paste. Then put them in a old dip bait container. Works awesome for channel's, but when it sit's outside in 100 degree shed:embarassed:.....HURLLL!! You can't even put them in the panty hose. The smell was horrid.

Mackerel paste sounds good though.......