OK GUYS Memorial day weekend is HERE er almost

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by vini, May 24, 2007.

1. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    You geared up and ready to go I'M NOT

pulled my pump apart yesterday to inspect and find out that it is SHOT to heck, impeller is shot and the whole things worn out and I can't get a new one till next week, but hey it actually still works so going with that also waiting on my pontoons which damn well better be here today or i'll be floating on inner tubes again this weekend.

Heres my plan I am going up above Coulterville Ca for 2 days with a club I joined they have a claim there and we'll be meeting with another club who owns 20 acres on this river all of which we all have access too.

Then Sunday meeting with a guy I met last weekend who wants to partener up he's got a 4" dredge and were taking that down to his spot and dredge for the day, we split all gold thats found i'm just his helper and he's been at this for 25 years so i'm figuring on learning quite a bit from him, plus he's a great guy and good company.

Monday , day of rest :lol:

Have a good weekend Bob lets find treasure .

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    sounds like u are the man with the plan.....hope all goes well for ya and ya come outta it with a fortune...dont forget who ya family is tho:wink:..lol. be careful, be safe, and above all, have fun......good luck with your endeavors.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That's pretty much my plan also.

Gonna meet some folks at the Uwharrie River and there'll be several with dredges. From 2" to 5", and all will be suckin for gold.

I'll have my dive equipment and hope to get in on it. I've got a few tools to move heavy rock with and we'll see what's been collected under them.

Vini, if you come across a 1 ton winch, made by Dayton, get it. You can take the handle off and operate it with a 18v battery drill. That and a pry bar ,an move most anything.

Oh, yeah, what Leslie said. Don't forget who your family is:lol:

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Safe and sound punnkin thanks had a really LONG weekend did alot of driving.

Ok Bob we got gold today I have to go thru all the concentrates and I have about a gallons worth to go thru , we lost a whole sluice full of 2 hours of dredging material when the dredge tipped over while bringing it out of the gorge we were in, it went down the hill end over end LOL I was in shock when the guy I went with said " I new I should have put them contrates in the bucket" i'm like WHAT?????? you did WHAT?? those were mostly all my concentrates I dredge for all afternoon and there was alot of gold in them not counting the labor involved.

We needed that winch today Bob, we used a pulley system to get the dredge up and the pulley broke, big mistake someone could have gotten hurt bad.

We used my friends dredge today a 4 inch keene and it was a BLAST my 2 inch won't do 1/3 what that 4 will do it was AWESOME.

Yesterday I helped a guy in our club, older man set up his 2 inch dredge and helped him for 2 hours before we were told by a women who said we were on her private land I told her this was the club i'm a member ofs claim " Look up there on that tree says "FEDERAL CLAIM" she said it wasn't, our club president was nowhere to be found so we moved off just to save any trouble.

Anyhow I learned a damn lot about dredging this weekend and had a reall blast today especially wait till you see the gold it's not alot no nuggets and some small pickers mostly flake stuff but its sure pretty .

Heres me dredging

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/Medredgeingjackasscreek.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/jakcasscreekdredgecoulterville.jpg

hope you had a wonderful weekend Bob, this is one heck of a hobbie you gotta WORK!!! for it, my elbow and bicep are shot, tendenitis is back, the waters cold and you need to get all the way in, everything shrivels up LOL, its dirty and back breaking if your not careful, bugs, snakes ect. ect. but to see that gold at the end of the day makes it straight up ADDICTING I WANT A 4" inch dredge now LOL

HEy i'd love to pass this California gold around but you know its stuck to my fangers;)P you understand your family HEH HEH

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Well I got about 2 1/2 gallons of concentrate to pan out also:lol:

I spent yesterday on the Uwharrie river, running a Keene 4" dredge, cept I forgot my camera.:lol:

The dredge owner would pan a sample once in awhile. Show me the gold, then throw it all back in a bucket to be panned out later. By the time I get through with this batch, I should be an expert.

I thought it was pretty cool, I had no idea he was going to give the days batch of concentrates to me. I just expected about a handfull to mess around with.

When I get my pan and get things rolling, we'll compare this weekends take. Don't be saltin' it either:lol:

6. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I got given all the concentrates also Bob I think thats what's done breaks a guy in all the way thru the process. I panned out 4 pans worth yesterday evening and came up with 5 flakes is all but theres a bunch to go thru.

time 4 a Blue bowl :tounge_out: I aint got enough salt to show Bob don't worry

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You need to do better than 5 flakes per pan. I saw this fella pan out 3 different times and each time there were well ove 40 to 50 flakes in a quick pan process, then he through it back in the bucket. Later he handed me the bucket and said now you go find it.:lol:

I sure hope you do better than that. Your right about the blue bowl, This panning out a spoon full at a time, could take all winter.:roll_eyes:

8. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    2 flakes per pan is what i'm getting about 1 cups worth of conentrate per pan I panned out 7 pans this afternoon not much to show pretty sad for this being the mother lode we were in.

Those are pickers in the vile , you got pickers Bob?:big_smile:

What really chaps my hide is we lost some really good concentrates, we panned out the under side of the bank and found alot of flakes so thats where were started the second round of dredging I spent 2 hours in the water sucking all that bank up and thats what got lost when the dredge went down the hill......:angry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/coultervillepickers.jpg

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I found some pics of this weekend posted on another site.

You'll see the camp site.
    Me holding a fish I sucked up in the dredge
    The dredge I was using
    One of the other fella's from Charlotte
    And me face down in the water working the dredge

Click on the pics on the right to enlarge them.

http://forum.goldgrubbin.com/forum/photos/

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    RIGHTON Bob you were down in it.

I see Russau, Geno, Socal posts there those guys all over the place :)

That is fantastic Bob sounds like a good group of folks.

We sat around and talked fishing and hunting friday evening, these guyds I was with 2 were from northern california and big time fishermen, now stuck in the valley here where its so far from all they knew and loved, even the gold findings are worse, one guy worked the klamath and other big gold rivers up north he got hardly nothing for 2 days work this last weekend.

This Sunday going to go check out 2 creeks on my cousins property taking pans just to check things out, these areas dont get hit and are 2 major creeks running down from the motherlode , I feel a Bonanza coming Bob:big_smile:

I sucked u0p a small brook trout he swam a little too close i'm sure he made it out just fine:crazy:

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
  12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    WOO finally got done running through all that dirt LOL not much to show.

Sitting in the garage panning, older guy on a bike pulled up, he'd been dumpster diving for cans eyes big and bright he asked if I was a prospector.

We got into a good discussion he'd done alot of prospecting a member of GPAA and Lost Dutchman, he gave me some insight into better places to go to get closer to the motherlode I need to go north . Where i have been going is at the tail end of the mother lode I need to get in closer to the center which isn't really far from where i have been maybe 30 miles north, Sonora/Columbia area to be exact.

Tomorrow heading to Mariposa to prospect and check out 2 creeks taking the pans and the dredge if theres some color and a place to put the dredge we'll give it a try, I feel a pay streak on the way BOB:big_smile: .

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Oh yeah, the motherlode is just up the creek a bit:roll_eyes: If you don't find it there, It'll still be fun looking.

I hear they're going to open up an older gold mine in SC. It's been shut down for about 15 yrs.

14. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    looking for the granmother lode LOL

damn i dont feel like driving 3 hours today , more coffee get the blood pressure up :big_smile: but if I dont go now in 2 weeks its going to be too hot and the waters going to be gone.......................>

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Ok, here's some of the gold from the dredging Memorial weekend. Just got my pan yesterday and I'm about as new to this as you can get. First panning and these flakes are fine.

Attached Files:

16. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    SWEET!!!! yes finegold there in that river from what i've read.

Just go slow let the water lap at the edge of the pan and material and go real slow.

Ok heres what I did I had some 8 foot sections of ABS pipe split down the middle, guess someone was going to use them as gutters or something I had them saved up in my rafters for years.

So I pulled one down and set it up ontop of a few buckets to make a sluice. No matting nothing inside but I should have wiped it down inside and roughened it up a bit I think it would have held even more gold then it did.

I had a bunch of material with fine fine gold in it, I would put a spoonful in the top part of the pipe and run water down it really really slow so that the lighter stuff washed away and it left behind all the black sand and gold. trickling the water down and holding the pipe and a certain degree I could watch the gold being left behind and pick it out with tweezers. I finally just gave up it wasn't worth the time and energy i'll save it all for this winter when i get really bored and hungry for gold.

When you get down to the nitty gritty get the black sand all to one side of the pan if you see flakes take the palm of your hand and tap the side of the pan the gold will jump foreward , you need a little water right over the area you think the gold is in , this is one way of separating it from the sand that i;ve learned.

I should be going out this Sunday to hunt for gold with my cousin we will be in the Jamestown, Sonora, Columbia area and I want to go and try out 2 rivers, the Stanislaus and the Tuolumne both have gold but were going to look for out of the way spots may have to do some hiking.

Have a good weekend Bob Glad you got some shiny stuff man thats great.

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm looking to smelt it and avoid all the time consuming crap. I've got the acetyline torch, just have to mix the flux and get a crucible along with tongs to hold it with.

It ain't going anywhere.

18. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
  19. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Got the bug yesterday and took the day off drove up to Mariposa and to Bricebug canyon to see if I could dredge, not until july 1 they said even though the water is down way low below 700cfs its like 400cfs and the BLM ranger didn't even know.

Heres a few pics of the river it was a gorgous day 85-90 degrees and the water was fabulous feeling, lots of swimmers up stream jumping off the high rocks this is where I used to go when I was in high school to party and swim.

I dug out from under a rock in the stream and ran it thru my sluice found 1 penny weightsd worth of gold not much but theres alot of stream here about 7 miles

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSCF0286.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSCF0289.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSCF0290.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSCF0293.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSCF0296.jpg

1/3 mile of day use dredging right there and free then upstream they have 2 areas for up to 2 weeks dredging, noone was on that river yesterday but me looking for gold.

Tomorrow I go to Sonora for the weekend, Dads cabin and foathers day but will be checking out 2 different rivers and a creek i've heard about, sunday I meet with a guy who just bought a huge mine up in Mariposa called the Whitlock mine it is very very old and alot of golds come out of that mine and others in the area.,hoping to reall pick his brain and get some help and info.

http://www.mariposaresearch.net/whitlock.html

20. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    While i was sluicing a small rainbow trout was right there sunning by the bank I actually was able to touch him before I scared him off, pretty cool lots of nice trout and small mouth bass in that river.