Ok folks i need some help!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Indysfinest22, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well im starting to doubt my skills and knowledge as a catfisherman, i live on my own private 9 acre lake, and have been catfishing it for nearly ten years. I have stocked hundreds of fingerlings, released hundreds of mature cats, and the lake has been here since 58, when it was first built it was stocked heavily with channels,blues, and some flats. I cant seem to pattern these fish, i cant figure out where there at, and what there biting on,iv tried every bait imaginable. Iv tried fishing at all hours, day and night, morning and evening, the back part of the lake is about a 1 acre cove, it is only about 1 foot deep, i think the fish may be feeding back there at night cause iv heard some huge splashes back there while fishing at night, should i focus on this shallow area or fish the deeper holes by the spillway, or should i be fishing the channel of the lake, i feel completely ignorant having to ask advice on my own lake!! any info will help!! THANKS!!

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    I dont have a answer for you on that but Welcome to the BOC :) someone will be able to help you :big_smile:

3. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    First off, Welcome to the Boc Collin.:big_smile:

Ok, are you bank bound or have a boat? If you are, can you reach the whole lake walking? Are using bait out of the lake or getting it else where? What kind of rig are you using, three way, bottom, floats? Are you focusing on channels, flats, blues, or anything? Do you know the avreage dephts of the lake, is there a lot of structure? Are there any feeder creeks or springs leading to it.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to understand the situation alittle better. Last but not least, are you anywhere close so I can come help ya fish your little slice of heaven.JK!

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Collin, welcome to the BOC, this site is full of great people and good info. Sounds like a pretty nice set up. I would say try fishing the tranisition area at night. By that I mean the area between the deep water and the shallow flat where you think they are feeding. During daylight, try fishing the deeper water that structure

5. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    SOunds like you have tried alot of different things. If you havent tried using bait out of the pond, then maybe catch a couple bluegill and use them not so much in the shallows but where the deep water transitions into the shallow water. On a last resort, if you really want to see whats in your lake or what there biting on, try using jugs one night or place a couple trout lines in the lake. This should give you an idea on whats in your lake and what they are biting on. Just a couple suggestions on bait, i would try live bluegill, liver, hotdog, shrimp, maybe a little cut bait. Good luck.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC!

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. I wish I could help you, but I am still trying to figure out where the blues are in the Mississippi river. Good luck.

8. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc!! i'm sure you'll find the answer your looking for!! shane

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Throw bait they are eating anyway. Fresh cut bluegill or live. Id try a katbobber with a live bluegill set 3' deep, and one with cut bluegill 3' deep, put some neon light sticks on them, and let them drift, then use a 3rd rod and fish the bottom with fresh cut bluegill, and put a small bobber on a 12" leader half way up, so your bait will float up off the bottom a little. Im sure there is alot of weeds on the bottom, they are probably just not finding your bait. :big_smile:

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Colin,
    If you can set up so you are opposite some overhanging trees, try tethering your lines to them so your live baits splash on the surface. Need a little boat or dinghy.
    I use clothes pins to hold the lines in place. Any cats on the prowl will hear and feel the bait and come up from below and hit it. The line pulls free from the clothes pin and the fight is on.
    Very exciting way to fish...W

11. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    ok at night yes i would fish them shallows for sure cause big shovels swim the bank at night lookin for bait fish, from about 2am til after sun up. during the day when its hotter i would go deeper where the oxygen levels are the highest since its hot and its drawin the oxygen outta the water. try different depths too cause fish will suspend themselves at certain depths and not move from that depth so you have to find them. go somewhere and get you some big shad or skipjack. and cut the heads and tails off and use them. i wouldnt use live ones because if a couple get in alive they'll over populate your pond QUICK!!! look for where the bait fish congregate or try chummin certain parts of your lake for a week or so before you go and they'll be waitin for ya when ya get there! hopoe this helps good luck bro and welcome to the boc

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Collin!:0a25:

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Do this about 2 hr's before dark; Get a box of cheerios and a bag of ole roy dog food, first cast handfuls of Cheerios out and let the bluegills come up and start popping the surface, keep them their for awhile by casting more out for about 10-15minutes,,Then cast in a couple hands full of dog food,, some more Cheerios then dog food etc... for about 1/2hr.

REPEAT this until you see the cats come in, which will only take a couple days or so..But keep doing this for a week or two at the same time adding a little more dog food when you see the cats..Only for a 1/2hr each night.

After that get a box of Wheaties, Put some dog food into a bowl with some water and let it absorb the water.It will swell up,add some more water and grind/mash up real good until smooth, then mix in Wheaties until you have a nice big sticky ball of bait..

Go out to the pond at the designated time and pitch some Cheerios out until you see the fish.. on a #2-3 octopus squeeze on a small ball of your bait covering the hook and pitch out.

Thats it.. Oh have a stringer ready, you will need it. :big_smile:I guarantee it.:wink:

Be carefull,,You can clean a pond out doing this if you do not watch yourself..

Wecome to the BOC..

14. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks for all the info guys!! ya i think what im gonna do is start using gills from my lake at different depths in the transition area. it necks down from about 300 ft wide to 80 ft wide and drops from 10-12 ft deep to 3-5ft deep, and has a channel runnin thru it, and ya in the back where the shallow cove is it is fed by a spring.So my attack plan is to start at the transition area at sundown and move into the shallow cove as the night progresses, and yes i can access all the fishable water by land or boat, but like i said guys iv used everything and have had success just not like it should be, iv used shrimp,livers,crawlers,skips,shad,chubs,shiners,suckers,hotdogs,dip and stink baits, etc the list goes on, i think what has happened is the fish have adapted to my tactics as iv been cattin the lake for about 10 yrs, so im just gonna mix it up a lil bit with diff baits in diff places, as for my rigs, i use 8ft ugly sticks with okuma abf40's, and 50lb power pro line since i can get away with it cause it only has 12lb diameter and casts like a dream, for rigging i run a 3/4 oz egg sinker on a slip rig with khale hooks or sometimes i use the octopus circles(there great)
    And one thing else its not like im NOT catching fish, im just not doing as good as i used too!! i usually catch atleast one decent fish on each outing but you all no how frustrating it is to fish for 8 hrs and catch one fish!!

But i do have an idea if ne of you guys are close to the monrovia/ martinsville area you are more than welcome to come out and help me figure these rascals out!! Once again thx for all the advice!!

Collin

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Bro; If I knew where you were and it wasn't all that far. I would come up and visit you one day during the week or one sat. bring the cut bait and all...Oh..Try strips ( cut lenghtwise in 1/2" wide and then 1 1/4" lenghts)of a salmon fillet they sell at kroger(Its cheaper in front of the meat dept, when they set it out to sell quick already wrapped up) if you have not tried that it might just be the ticket to a basket full:smile2:

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If it's your lake, borrow a rowboat and sink some barrels out in front of the nicest spot to fish. duh. Sink some small trees a small distance away for a feeding area.

If you just hear fish splashing, you don't know what they are. It could be carp or bass or something else. I'd trotline just to see if the fish are actually there. Just because they were stocked doesn't mean they are still there.

17. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well mr. Iowa i know for a fact the fish are there cause i put em there, and its MY lake lol, i do appreciate the structure tip, i do have nesting baskets and some fingerling sactuarys set up so ill try em, Hey what part of ky you in flame? im about 30 miles south of indy?!!

And the only carp that were in there was 10 giant grass carp that got lazy and they fell to my new bear compound, and ya iv got boats, i spent all day sprayin diquat for duckweed so once its gone ill be fishin, and these are no bass these splashes are so big they leave giant wakes and shake the water, if there bass there state records.