Ok flatheaders answer this one

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 10, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You see I got this spot on the river I fish,,It;s a deep scour hole below a bridge piller..I fished this hole last year several times before spawn and never got a hit...Around the end of July till the end of August I pulled 23 flats out of this hole, with 2 over 40, and 4 more over 20...The smallest fish weighed 13lbs..All we released..then they vanished?? I figured they would be in the hole during late fall, nope never got another hit after late august.

My question is where did they go? why were they only in this spot for a few weeks?

2. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    interesting.i suspect one of the reasons is the need for rest in slackwater after the spawn.probably good food supply in the slack water to.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jack, The fish were there durring the hottest water temps of the year. Current was slow. With the water pouring into the hole, that created more oxygen than the bulk of the river. Baitfish are drawn to easy living conditions, anyplace you find concentrations of baitfish, you are likely to find predator fish. (Flatheads) Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, im not gonna speculate on this on without seeing it actually myself, the spot that is:smile2:...no, there could be many different variables, and im sure thats why. i do know that they act different in the early spring, usually higher water levels, and warming temps. i have caught them in pretty much every imaginable place.. during spawn i try to target steep muddy cutbanks, or large trees with root systems that spread out into the water.. then as summer peaks, and fall time come alot of these areas i have caught them in all summer are turning to junk! so, now you are back to chasing them to somewhere else...but, usually in the early fall, if you can target where the baitfish are, they aren't far off... for example... if you have a buddy thats catching the heck out of smallmouth, rockbass, or crappies late in the year, find out where!!! alot of these are schooling fish with great numbers as you know, and the flats are there also...so, after all this mumbling, fish it again this year, and if the same scenario happens, start moving downstream some and really pay attention to where the other fish are locating. because there is a transition area between late summer, and where they hole for the winter... hope this isn't too much b/s for you man....lol...rollo

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I noticed the same thing last year kind of....The weather was so screwed up in the spring, that I think I actually missed the spawn at a particular lake. The years prior, if you got there pre-spawn, and targeted the banks, you caught them in pretty high numbers. Then after the spawn they were gone, and very hard to locate. It sounds like rollo is right on the money...I guess I will have to see come spring, I have become better at fishing for blues I think than flatheads, mainly because I have been able to get on the main river more this winter than I did in the summer. We'll see though I can't wait to lay into some of those hawgs..:roll_eyes:

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack if i remember correctly the river was up just a little bit when you were catching all those fish, i remember you telling us you had to use at leat 8oz sinkers to hold your bait. by the time Mellon and i got over there to try it, and for the rest of the year the river was extremely low and both times we went we used 2-3oz. my guess is they "backed down" to that hole after the spawn (july) and the swirling current in that higher water kept them pinned down during the day in the eddy you got them in. when the water really started cooling down at the first of October they might have "backed down" even farther to that bigger and deeper hole (33ft as opposed to 26ft) just downstream where i got my big one in late August. that spot you got all yours had really slack water both times when Mellon and i fished over there. we didnt get any fish their either but we only fished it for about 2 hours (on a bad day at that). my guess is when that water was extremely low those bigger fish were stacked up tight right where it drops from 8ft-25ft right in that heavist current on the opposite side of the river from where you fished. the imediate drop in the heaviest current is exactly where i got my big one, and Mike had two other good ones hooked and got off in that further hole downstream.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    one other thing i forgot.... do you remember what dates you caught them big ones on? if so check the moon phases and see if the were on or close to the New or Full moon. just as in previous years, all my bigger fish this year, and all my friends bigger fish fish (mike, mellon, bryan, mark, chubbahead, vicky) came on or within 3 days of the full or new moon. over here on the GMR we can catch fish at any time but unless we fish during a favorable moon they are all dinks. i noticed the Scioto has MUCH bigger fish but very few small ones.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink my 2 40's were caught on 7-24, and 8-30

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just checked, my first one was 6 days before the full moon, the second 40 was 1 day before the full moon.

10. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree with dinkbuster that on the gmr the moon phases have alot to do with bigger flats biting, my best night last year near franklin the moon was full didnt even need headlamps, got 8 flats, one 30+ the smallest over 10, fished the same spot two more times, and only got a few under ten.. moon phases are definatley something to pay attention to.. keep in mind the moon phase next time you have a sucessful night..

11. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Good question, sorry but I just cant answer it. All that I know is that I tend to have good luck fishing deep holes in the month of August to.