ok fishing on arkansas river

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by poisonpits, Dec 24, 2007.

1. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    alrite guys here it is.
    i met richard,aka 223reload,in keota ok sunday morning bout 7.30.we stoped at the store for fishing permits and breakfast then headed to the lake.i took a cooler full of skipjacks just in case and sure enough richard and i both left our cast nets at home.we had a fantastic day of getting to know each other and had a fair day fishing.we had 8 runs and caught 3 fish.1 a little over 6 and 1 at 5 and 1 bout 4 lbs.we saw 3 jugs moving round in the bay we were fishing and sometimes they would go under and stay for 3 to 10 minutes.they had to be some really good fish but no one came to check them while we were there.richard had one real good fish on for a min.but it came unbuttoned.we made plans to do it again and i can hardly wait.richard is one of those people that you can realy enjoy a day or 2 on the water with.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Johnnie, I wish we would have known you were going. Me Big Sam and Big Sammy went Sunday on Kerr Lake. We put in at Short Mountain. We put in at Keota the last time out.

3. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you and me both.4 would have been a bigger and better party.how did uall do.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    At least y'all got to go, and had a little luck. Johnnie, my plan to go up to the nuclear plant between Christmas and New Year hasn't worked out. I've been fighting a bad case of bronchitis, trying to keep it from turning into pneumonia. I had to go to the ER yesterday and get a new sack of medicine. If you get to go again, catch one for me.

5. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

We ended up with about 15 total. one was over 20 lbs. one was 14 lbs. and all but 3 of the others were 5 to 9 lbs. Next time you get together let us know and we'll hit Kerr Lake.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    We must have missed ya poisonpits just barely.:tounge_out: that dad-gum johnny kept front boating me in my own boat!:eek:oooh::smile2: him and Allen put it on me pretty good 2. I didn't get a fish till there was 15minutes left in the ball game:smile2: Whew...i would have never lived that one down i would have heard it for months to come. Send us a pm next time and maybe we can meet ya there and show ya a spot or 2:smile2:

7. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Glad to hear you had such a good time. I myself have been unable to make it to the water Jerry. I had planned on trying to get out over the holidays, but between two jobs and a family, it didn't happen. Glad you folks got out and was able to catch a few!!!! Maybe I can make it next time!!

8. mciver

mciver New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I live in nickerson kansas and i would like to know how you catch big fish like that in the arkansas river i only catch like 3-4 pounders

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Mciver, the river down where they are at is a whole lot different than here as far a depth and surrounding terrain. But there are big flatheads here in Wichita on the Arkansas. If you dont fish below the lincoln st dam you need to move past the city where there are more trees. The more trees on the banks the better chance of them being in the water,imo. I have caught some nice ones arounnd Wichita but it seems the closer to Oklahoma the better the river gets and the better the fish get.

10. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the arkansas is a big river here and has holes 50 to 80 foot deep in places.we also have tons of skipjacks and gizard shad so our fish grow fast.we also spend a lot of time fishing big baits with not a lot to show for it.like ever one down this way id trade a few of these blues for some of your flatheads.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    It seems as our big flathead population is slowly dwindling. Fifteen years ago it wasnt uncommon for my Dad to catch 60lbers in the river.Not as common any more on rod and reel. He is gone now and I fish more than ever as I feel close to him on the river.Ive never met anyone who could catch more fish,nice ones too. We mainly fished Kaw lake for the blues. Wichita is only 100 miles from there but has an almost 0% blue population. But believe it or not I actually caught a Mississippi Whit Bluecat in the river last year. That is unheard of here.It was only 2 or 3 lbs but still it was a REAL bluecat, not a male channel after spawn. Hopefully the blues do well and continue to come up river. I think they fight a lot harder and are kinda pretty.lol.By the way the river up here, a whole that goes over your head is almost like finding a needle in a haysack.

12. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ok guys and gals here it comes.i met big sam and johnny aka 777 at salisaw creek boat ramp on kerr lake in ok today.we caught 20 to 25 between 2 and 10 or 12 lbs.i spent 1/2 day with sam and a 1/2 day with johnny fishing and guys it was a good time.i had a ball and beleave it or not i got invited back.darrel aka skipeye was there and he got sam and johnny for a 1/2 day each to.when we got to the ramp this afternoon we loaded boats got them ready for the road and low and behold sam and johnny jumped on the fish and in no time at all darrel and i had a gal.zip lock bag full of filets.we spent the next 2 hours just standing round taking pics.and shooting the breese.i could go on for another hour but if you get a chance to fish with 1 or all 3 of these boys go for it you want regret it.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like yall had a great day ,Johnnie,I'm slobberin readin this:smile2:

14. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    slobber on richard we had a great day

15. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Thanks Johnnie, we had a blast. It was nice getting a chance to meet you and do some fishing. We'll hit it again in a couple of weeks. We may take the toon next time so we can all fish on the same boat. You think we had a lot of poles on one boat wait til we go four people on the toon:smile2:. Ther will be lead, hooks shad guts and slime flying everywhere:eek:oooh::smile2:.

16. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    glad to hear you guys had a good day. i saw you roaring out of sans bois in the afternoon. it was pretty windy about that time huh? we had a 48 on friday and 2 18's yesteday + the smaller ones so we were happy. the 48 was a hoot. btw very nice rigs you guys were in yesterday. made me jealous.

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I waved at you'all George when we were going by...but you probably thought i was losing my hat:eek:oooh: i was waving at ya:big_smile: Glad poisionpits and skipeye could come and fish and yes skipeye caught some this time:big_smile: Yes the wind was blowing but we didn't have any problems. Thank's for the compliment about my boat i like it! I like skipeye's boat too. No big fish were bagged today but we were going for fish in the boat...didn't want our guests that drove a long way to fish coming up empty handed.:big_smile:

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like ya'll had a good trip, meetin new folks, skippy fishin new water and ya caught fish to boot. I plan on fishin the Ozark pool in March with some boys i work around. Thanks for the report fellows.