OK....explain the rest of your leader

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN, Aug 16, 2009.

1. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I have learned alot on here in my short time which proves that sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks.What I want to ask here is,
    assuming you tie a leader line on your mainline,what else do you employ on the leader.I always used to use a swivel to tie my leader on,but now I tie it on using an albright knot,so where do you guys put your sinker?
    Do you put the sinker on with a bead before the knot for the leader?

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I slide a sinker onto my main line, then a bead. Then I tie on a swivel. Then I snell the hook onto the leader and tie the leader onto the swivel.

Sometimes I slide a small hot pink bead down to the hook on my leader as well. It seems to act as a bit of a attractant.

If you are fishing with live bait, I recommend the swivel so your baitfish doesn't twist up your line while its swimming around down there.

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    Carolina rig for me. snell my hook that attach the leader and main line to the swivel with polamor knots. 40lb big game leader and a 20lb main line

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...what else do you employ on the leader..."

A float when I am drifting or when I am in current to float the bait off the bottom.

Oh ya, A HOOK!!! :smile2:

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I was referring to where they put their sinker...before or after the knot for the leader....and do they use beads,etc.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good post and I agree with it. I also add a float on the leader at times to get the bait off bottom.

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thats going to depend on how much line your using for your "leader". If your using a 20' piece ontop of your braid, then I would still tie on a swivel and put my bead and weight above that on your topshot of mono. You want to use a swivel, chunks of bait dont come back in straight, 99% of the time they spin. If your in current it might always spin.

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Right on Mickey. I use a 3" cigar float between my swivel and my hook for that exact reason. Since the rocks in the river now own the last two I used, I have been using round plastic bobbers until I buy more.

I don't worry about a weight stop even with the float because I fish with a tight line and a baitrunner. Everything stays put and the fish can still run with the bait.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes my leader comes with the barrel swivel rig. Thread the egg sinker and bead on the mainline then tie the barrel on then the bottom eye tie the leader. :wink:

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Keith, I would strongly suggest you think about using a swivel, when running leaders it is a necessary evil. Don't skimp on quality, buy a good swivel. The true test of a swivel is if it will turn freely under a load. Spro power swivel is one of many good brands, I use a #2 rated for 230 lbs.

11. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania