OK, AR, TX???

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by GMC FishHauler, Jan 13, 2009.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I will be looking to go fill up my freezer with bait sometime, as well as chasing some cats somewhere close to Texas, might go as far a TN if i have to.
    How close to Texas is the nearest skipjack hotspot????
    How many can one expect to catch in one day? Is there a bag limit for these fish?
    Basically I am trying to figure where i need to go, how long will i have to stay to make it worth while, and how many coolers will i need to bring back the fish.
    Basic logistical stuff!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    In the winter, you can often find some skipjack in the warm weather discharges of power plants, such as Arkansas Nuclear 1 near Russellville, Arkansas. But I've never gotten into them heavy enough to really stock up on them there. On a good day, I've caught as many as 15-20, which is about enough for 3 fishing trips for me and my bunch. For 6 or 7 years now, I've tried to make a spring trip over to Pickwick Dam on the Tennessee River to restock my supply. I've got a 7 cubic foot chest freezer just for my catfish bait. The skipjack begin their spring run at Pickwick somewhere between mid March and mid April from what I can gather; I generally make my trip anywhere from early May to early June, just after school is out. My grandsons love catching those skippies. How many in one day? If they're running good, 3 adults and 2 boys, ages 11 & 5, filled that 7 foot freezer the first day; a couple of days for that is not unusual, though; and if they're not running the water right, it could take 3 or even 4 days. If they quit generating, the fishing shuts down. When we've been over there in the spring to restock, it's never taken over 3 days at the most. The first time we went, a buddy of mine decided to see how many casts he could make without catching a fish; on his 18th cast he didn't have a skipjack. Of course, on the previous 17 casts, not only did he have a fish each time, but several times he had two!

3. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    tenn. river huh? what about in oct-nov? are they running then or are the scattered?
    I am asking, cuz i live in central texas and its gonna be a long drive no matter what, but i need to go somewhere and get some of these skippies and give them a try and see how they do.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    If you are looking at a trip later in the year, there is a gathering at Pickwick in Sept. The skipjacks fishing is pretty good then too. Just checked the BOC calendar the gathering is Sept. 25,26,27

5. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    that might be just the thing to do! Go to the gathering, meet everyone, take boat and load up on some skippies!
    I will see how many other folks from texas will want to ride with me. THis would make it really cost effective too