Ok a jon boat with a mild v! Help advice

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by vince, Jan 10, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ok! what would be a great jon boat with a mild V front?
    Do they make something like this?
    I dont need a deep V! However i would want a jon that has somewhat of a V.. I guess I'm looking for something in between...

Give me some help! it has to be aluminum

Thanks Vince

2. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Look into look into a modified v style jon boat.

3. shadkiller

shadkiller New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Vince. I fish from a tracker grizzly 1754. I run a 25hp motor on the rivers and switch to a 10hp for use on state lakes with a 10hp limit here in ky. good all around boat to use from catfishing to frog gigging.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Consider boats like the Tracker Grizzly, Lowe Roughneck, SeaArk RiverCat, etc. -- also check out PolarKraft, Xpress, Triton and probably several others that I can't think of at the moment..

Those are all "modified V" boats. The difference is in the amount of V in the hull; some are nearly flat at the transom, others have 5 degrees, some may have 8 to 10 degrees. All will ride differently - more angle generally means a better ride.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

www.seaark.com
    check out their jons but, almost all of their boats have a 3-12 degree modified v-hull. lowes, alumacraft, weldcraft and few others also have the modified v.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My 16' Lowe has a bit of a V built into the front, and I really like it; it's got a 48" wide bottom, which makes it extremely stable, as well as providing more room.

7. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    G3 is another good brand - I had a 1548FL prior to my big Skiff. They offer Mod V-Bows and are one of the few brands that offer Jon's with a floor and interior sides which are nice, no tripping over ribs. They are owned by Yamaha and if you buy one new as pa package it will have a Yamaha on the back. Kind pricey but well worth it. It's boat show season, they are about the best place to see several different makes and models without driving all over creation. Some even have beer for sale:big_smile:

8. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    i used to have a landau mod v it was a awesome boat

9. luckycat1

luckycat1 New Member

State:
    Osage River Missouri
    15 degree hull on Seaark River Cat boat and some of their other models also.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Small clarification: The RiverCat has a 3 degree hull - might as well be a flat-bottom jon; the "V-Cat" has a 15 degree V.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers think a "catfish boat" is nothing more than a bass boat with a big livewell.

Before you buy any boat, make sure to think through how and where you'll sit while fishing for catfish - where will your rods be? Out the side or off the rear of the boat? Can you sit someplace comfortably while waiting for a bite and still be able to get to your rods without scrambling over or around bench seats, consoles, etc.?