Oil tank leaking?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Cattracker16, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I have a 50 hp merc 05' model. I noticed the other day that i had an oil slick under the motor, i didn't pay too much attention to it i thought i had spilled some 2 cycle oil while filling the reservoir. The wife and i took the boat fishing today and had a blast til i noticed a film of oil on the water when we parked the boat on a sand bar. so we desided to see what the deal was started the motor up and noticed that i was dripping down on the steering mechanism. i never went any further desided to see where i should look and what am i looking for? any help would be appreciated.

Kenny

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If it were me, I'd start by cleaning everything in site so you can spot or trace the leak. You might find it while cleaning the engine.

I'd also invest in several cans of spray carb cleaner to do this. Starting fluid is also a good cleaner for an oil sludged area, but don't be smoking when you do this.

Start at the lines going to and from the tank. Trace them to the oil pump and then the lines to the carbs.

3. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    should I use a pressure washer on this when i start to clean? or just use a hose? i know that water and fuel don't mix just don't need anymore trouble.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Noticed the same on mine when I had the engine up. When I had it tuned and the water pump replaced, the mechanic found a crack in the oil line. Said it was barely visible but he noticed the oil too and dug around till he found it.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No hose, no pressure wash, just spray out of the can and a few rags under the lower unit to catch the drips. It'll come clean.

6. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Thanks for the info i'll put it to good use when i get a chance

7. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    What are the 2 blue wires for? Thats where the oil is leaking from there is one phillips head screw holding the 2 wire thing in. what to do now? thanks again

Kenny

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The wires are connected to the sensor in the tank.

Warning horn for low oil. What and when they react will have to wait till tomorrow.

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    well they expect the sensor plastic part to seal it up. a screw w/ a washer to hold it in placeand keep it from leaking. whatever happened to using an O ring to seal things up? talk about cheezy i guess there are in bed with halaberton. LOL we wanna sell all the 2 stroke motor oil we can. let emmmm leak j/k but man i would have done something diffrent to hold in place maybe even mold it in place and have a quick connect.