Oil Spot......

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by KansasKatter, Oct 17, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    This morning when I was leaving for work I noticed a small spot of oil under the motor of my boat. It was about the size of a quarter. Upon further investigation it appears to be coming out of the gap between the lower motor and the prop, and is just BARELY any oil there, I really had to look to find it.

Is there a seal in that area to replace? How big of a job is that? Or is it something more serious?

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes there is a seal around the prop shaft there. I haven't had the pleasure of replacing one before. Does the oil smell burnt? Pull the prop off and see if you have any fishing line wrapped up around the prop shaft.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    It doesn't smell burnt, and is black as black can be. It kind of reminds me of the crap that comes out of my weedeater sometimes, out of the muffler. I suppose it could be excess oil coming out of the exhaust....:confused2:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jeff do a decarb on that engine and see if it still leaks out later and pull the drain plug and see if there is any water intrusion before freezing weather gets there.

Post the year and wehat motor you have and i'll see if I can find a exploded view of the lower unit.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Bubba, it is an '84 Mercury 25 hp.

Thanks!