Oil Question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BKS72, Aug 19, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've got a 1980 75 hp 'rude. For a while I wasn't able to find gallons of oil and the gas station I've been filling up at only had quarts of non TCW-3 oil. I've noticed problems with idling and starting since I've used that oil. I just got a gallon of my usual TCW 3 oil, so that part is solved.

My question is has the non TWC 3 oil done anything other than probably dirty up my plugs?

I ran the tank almost empty last trip, so when I get home it's getting new plugs and a couple of bottles of seafoam in a fresh tank of fuel with my usual TCW 3 oil. Carbs were just rebuilt last year and the only other thing I can think of other than the oil is it's possible I need to change the water filter in my fuel line since I've put more hours on that motor this summer than the last two years put together. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i'm not a mechanic, but it scares me to hear you ran non twc-3 oil in your outboard. glad it's running better. i know, not knowledge like you want to hear, but, all i can say. luck buddy.
    gary

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I know, it's what I get for being lazy:wink: I only ran a tank or two of the "bad" oil through it and it runs fine once I get it going, it's just gotten more tempramental as the summer has progressed. I'll see how it runs after I get the new plugs in it and run the 'foam through it.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The non TCW-3 oil has alreadfy done its damage. Do a compression check and post the numbers. Lets hope the rings aren't gaulded

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'll check it as soon as I get home on Friday. Had I realized that TCW stood for Two stroke Water Cooled, I wouldn't have used the other oil - I just found out last night doing some research that's what it stood for:embarassed:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Never use a non rated TCW-3 oil. It will cause premature wear in the engine. I use only oils marked for outboard use.

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Bubbakat, I know this is going to sound like a real dumb question....but, i seem to remember back in the dark ages...1940's-1950's...30# auto motor oil was used to mix outboard motor oil.

Did that happen to your knowledge??

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep they sure did bill and it didn't have any detergents in it at all and they also used Babbitt bearings and in 1959 OMC came out with a roller bearing in some of their motors and by 1964 they had changed completely to roller bearings. When the Babbitt bearing was being used the thirty weight oil was used not only for the purpose of oiling those bearings it was also to take up some of the space in between the Babbitt and the piece it was protecting. Hope I said this right. the old mind ain't what it use to be.:big_smile:

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The fuel now is terrible, of course. Ethanol is like a sponge. I've run into fuel/water issues several times recently on almost every boat I use. I also found that after the water separator filters absorb all they can, they will bypass and put that gunk right into the fuel system anyway, so change that filter often! It's cheap insurance.

10. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    you might have to run some ring free in it for a while.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Stopped on the way home from the airport this evening and picked up some Sea-Foam and some of that new Lucas 2 cycle oil. A buddy of mine used some the other day and said he noticed the difference.

I pulled the water filter and filled it half full of Sea Foam, pumped up the bulb to get some fuel mixed in, then cranked it till it fired to make sure it was in the carbs. Added the other full can of SF and the rest of that can to the 5 gallons or so of fuel left in the tank.

While the SF was working in the carbs I pulled the plugs and cleaned them up, checked the gap, and put them back in. (They've got maybe 10 hours on them if that).

Put the muffs on it and let it idle for about 5 minutes. Added 15 gallons of fresh gas and the Lucas oil to the tank and took her to the river for a spin. Couldn't run it as hard as I wanted to since it was dark, but it's running a lot smoother and starting/idling a lot better now. I'm sure it will get even better as the SF works on it some more and gets the carbs cleaned up.

I still need to check the compression like Bubba said to do but I can't find the right adapter for my compression gauge. I'll look around for it some more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice!

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Tore the carbs down and cleaned them up just for kicks. Found the adapter for the compression gauge and checked it. 120 PSI on 1 and 3, about 105 on number 2. I may get ambitious over the winter and tear it down and re-ring it, and see if I can get #2 closer to the other 2, but then I again I might not:smile2:

I need to take it for a ride this evening, but not sure if I will or not. I may wait until Wednesday or Thursday.

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Bubbakat! It's nice knowing that my mind hasn't totally shut down!

I had forgotten about those old babbitt bearings. I once took the end caps off the connecting rods of a old Chevy 6 cylinder and filed on them to reduce the clearance so it would stop knocking! It worked for awhile...

Man, I'm sure dating myself now.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Try soaking that cylinder with some seafoam and it might bring thecompression up but where its at I would not be to concerened about that 15# difference unless it got way far different.

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks Bubba for all the help!

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    willard what is different about the 2 oils? u would think that the air cooled motors running as hot as they do and at the rpm that they turn would need some special addatives but a relativly cool running water cooled outboard wouldnt be so critical of what oil is used in it? got me wondering:confused2:

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Coming up river this morning and she seized. Got it home and pulled the head. I'm guessing by the needle bearings laying on top of the #2 piston that I'm not going to be fishing any time soon:eek:oooh: Oh, well, I had a pretty good run with it, I'll call the insurance man and see what can be done. I'm guessing that the connecting rod ate it's lunch, but that's conjecture at this point. Wonder if I can talk the wife into letting my buy a new one..........:big_smile:

18. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :sad2: so sorry to hear that branden uggggggggggg that bites to say the least !!!!!

if she lets u get a new 1 i would strongly look at a 4 stroke got my first 4 stroke a few years ago 115 suzuki and truely love it knock on wood so far not 1 problem and we use it alot between dad and myself

and came with a 6 year warranty its a 2005 and is easy on gas

after having a 4 stroke i will never own a 2 stroke again

number 1 reason for me is it starts so easy even in winter just hit the key and she fires up no choking or anything

but what ever you end up with i hope your able to get 1 soon so you can enjoy getting back on the water and catching another 85 lber my friend :wink:

good luck to ya !!!!!!

19. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Branden, I hate reading about the motor seizing up!

I had hoped you might have better luck. But, just remember, many of us have done things that we would prefer not to remember!

Once, by mistake I pored about !/2-cup of gasoline into the crankcase of a one-cylinder engine that was powering my riding mower. Dang! I had just changed the oil and didn't have any extra oil on hand. Why I did add the gasoline I'll never tell!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

However, I had once read that in WW2 the German Army had added gasoline to their tank's engine oil to keep it from freezing overnight in Russia. So I thought that little amount of gasoline wouldn't hurt anything...it would just burn off.:wink:

WRONG! In less than 5-minutes after I started the engine, the rings in the engine were toast...and the engine from that day on smoked a thick fog and shot oil out the exhaust pipe! All because I was too lazy to go buy more oil!:angry:

Hopefully your dear wife will understand your need for a new motor. :big_smile:

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bill, I don't think it was the oil. I'm pretty sure it's just 28 years of being run hard and an encounter I had with some rocks.

I guess I got as lucky as I could - just got it tore down and it was the wrist pin bearing that ate it's lunch. Not the best news, but at least the crank and rest of the bottom end (or is it top end on a 2 stroke?:smile2:) looks good. Got a heck of a gouge in the cylinder wall from one of the bearings getting between the piston skirt and cylinder wall. Dunno if .30 over will take it out or not. That, the head, and of course the #2 piston, rod, and wristpin and the only things that look like toast.

Bubbba do you know if those blocks can be re-sleeved or where I can get a block reasonable? Thanks!!