oil or grease on gears ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyron4, Dec 22, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What's better for the gears of reels; oil or grease ? -Thanks

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When I get a new Abu I strip it down and remove all excess grease ( this slows it down) Then I lightly oil all metal parts except gears. Then put on just enough grease on the gears to coat lightly. You don't need tons of grease, any extra will harden and impede the reel performance. I strip the reels twice a year and repeat. Once before the season starts and once in the middle. They perform like new even though 3 of them are going on ten years old now under all kinds of weather and mud and sand. Clean and lubed will prolong their life.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. Don't over oil or grease your reels . Clean them often as stated above. Most reels are shipped with an excess of oil and grease. If you follow your instructions you can learn to do the maintenance on your own reels. If not there are severals places to send them.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For oil, I'm now using Remington's Rem Oil. I've used Quantums Hot before, it works well, but stains everything. The reel repair place near my home says that if you need to put some grease on the gears in the field, don't have any, then get some vaseline. Use both oil and grease sparingly.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Follow the manufactures recommendations, can be found in the owners manual or on line at the manufactures website.

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    When my reel gummed up once, I sprayed small amounts of DuPont Pure Silicone spray (NOT PETROLIUM BASED!!!**) and it helped slicken up the action.

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Oil...
    You have to keep them cleaned
    And oil makes them easy to clean.
    John

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I use grease on the gears of my reels. I prefer a lighter weight grease so it doesn't harden in cold weather.

9. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Hey Jerry, wanna tell us why you carry vaseline in the field?:lol:

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use "Real Magic". It's even good to use on mono lines to reduce line memory.