Oil Mixture

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Nov 23, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went ahead and bought the walmart super tech oil to mix in my outboards but i got a question. On the bottle of my evinrude it says 50:1 is 3 oz to 1 gallon. On the super tech oil it says 2.6oz to 1 gallon? Do i mix it to 2.6 or to 3oz? I bought a measuring jug down there also that has different oil ratios and gallons of gas but on it, it measure little less than 16 oz oil for 6 gallons of gas. How do you guys measure out your oil? should i just mix it 3oz to 1 gallon? i have been using that jug to measure my oil out i just fill it up to however high it says for what gallon of gas at 50:1. not exactly 16oz to 6 gallons of gas but its close(little less). should i just mix a little more from now on to be safe?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    50:1 is actually 2.56 ounces per gallon, not 2.6. Of course, 3 oz isn't 50:1 either -- it's really 42.666:1...

But the thing 3 oz per gallon has going for it is that it's simple. Country boys can remember it. And it's close enough to 2.56 that your engine really won't know the difference.

16 oz per 6 gallons isn't 50:1 either -- it's actually 48:1, which is pretty close.

Just fill the measuring jug up to the line indicated for the amount of fuel you're adding to your tank and call it good enough.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That just about nailed it down Marty.
    Also if you will gap the plugs at 35 or 40 it will fire better and have less fouling.

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    OK i will use the measuring jug like i been doing. the 16oz bottle says treats 6 gallons of gas so i thought 50:1 was 3oz 1 gal. i thought maybe the measuring bottle i had was wrong. thanks alot.